Analysis

One Man’s MLB Predictions for 2014

To have something to look back on when I’m incredibly wrong, I’m leaving my thoughts on the 2014 season on paper (or the internet equivalent of that). So, here is what I think happens in ’14.

NATIONAL LEAGUE:

-Red Sox 88-74 (WC)

MVP: Mike Trout, Angels
Cy Young: Chris Sale, White Sox
ROY: Masahiro Tanaka, Yankees

PLAYOFFS:
-Pirates over Reds (WC)
-Pirates over Nationals (NLDS)
-Cardinals over Dodgers (NLDS)
-Cardinals over Pirates (NLCS)

-A’s over Red Sox (WC)
-Rays over A’s (ALDS)
-Rangers over Indians (ALDS)
-Rays over Rangers (ALCS)

-Rays over Cardinals (WS)

March 31, 2014 at 12:33 pm

MVP and ROY both go to the Dbacks, – but no playoffs? That’s an interesting take Pat. I’m trying to remember if that ever happened before. Anyone know off-hand without doing the research (that I’m too lazy to do) ?

I agree about the Rays in the AL.

But I’m going with the “gnats” to win it all this year. If Fister comes off DL soon, he makes them more of a force than they already were. That’s a potentially better rotation than we had in 11.

All that said, don’t bet you houses on my predictions- they’re normally a very bad investment.

2. Chuck A.

March 31, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I can’t even entertain predictions. They’re basically a joke and not worth investing much time and thought into. Just look at the Red Sox last year. (Sorry, Pat…you’re a good guy and you know your stuff but it’s just how I feel).

That all said, I DO agree with Lefty that the Nationals are definitely the team to beat in the NL East and that they have a decent chance to win the whole thing.

• wbramh

March 31, 2014 at 2:30 pm

“I can’t even entertain predictions. …I DO agree with Lefty that the Nationals are definitely the team to beat in the NL East and that they have a decent chance to win the whole thing.

I don’t know, Chuck; that sounds suspiciously like a prediction to me.
      (insert happy face, here)

Here’s are three daringly bold predictions for you. I go where others fear to tread:

1. There will be a surprise NL winner of the Cy Young this year – a pitcher currently on nobody’s list – and Wainwright & Kershaw will struggle.

2. The Sixers will trade down a few notches in the draft in order to land three lottery picks next year, repeat the process and land three lottery licks the year after and so forth until the rest of the league simply gives up.

3. DeSean Jackson will become Tim Tebow’s favorite target in arena football.

Okay, well at least #1 is possible – and I’m semi-serious about the trading down part of #2. I don’t believe Wiggins, Parker & Embiid are that much better, if at all, than the next three projected picks.

Like Lefty, I’m picking the Rays and Gnats but with the Rays winning the big enchilada.
      And I like the D-backs as no less than a wild card – maybe better.

3. Andrew from Waldorf

March 31, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Agree Charles A!

First game with Moyer and Stairs.

I miss Wheeler already. And the dead squirrel that lived on top of his head.

Everyone enjoy the season!

The Phillies are in first place at the moment.

Despite the incompetence of Ruben amaro!

Go Phillies!

4. mudmin

March 31, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Rays win the WS? You are smoking crack.

5. wbramh

March 31, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Pat and I are sharing the same crack pipe.
    I hope we don’t catch each other’s colds.

6. wbramh

March 31, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Again, Revere showed smart fielding on that double by pulling up to take the rebound off the wall.
    He really seems like he’s matured out there.

• Chuck A.

March 31, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I think Revere is gonna have a very big year.