Phillies Announce Opening Day Roster

(Hollands makes the roster. Photo: Jay Floyd)

Here is a look at the Phillies Opening Day roster, complete with a few surprises:

Cliff Lee

Chase Utley

Domonic Brown
Marlon Byrd
Tony Gwynn, Jr.
John Mayberry, Jr.
Ben Revere

The Phillies have six players beginning the year on the DL:
Mike Adams – recovering from right shoulder surgery (retroactive to March 26)
Freddy Galvis – left knee infection (retroactive to March 21)
-Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez – right shoulder tendinitis (retroactive to March 21, transferred to 60-day DL)
Cole Hamels – left biceps tendinitis (retroactive to March 21)
Ethan Martin – right shoulder inflammation (retroactive to March 21)
Darin Ruf – left oblique strain (retroactive to March 21)

1. Michael

March 29, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I just hope they get rid of the right guys when Cole & Darin come back. You know….Mayberry…Manship. And what’s up with Jayson Nix? Does RAJ really have to sign every dispensable Y that’s out there?

• mike

March 29, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Manship was solid all spring. How do you figure he needs to go? He’s posted a 1.80 ERA and 16:2 K:BB ratio in 20 innings this spring.

• schmenkman

March 29, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Considering that Manship has a 6.81 career ERA in 116 innings in the majors, I don’t put as much stock in a very small sample of 20 innings against a mix of major and minor leaguers.

• Hogey's Role

March 29, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Wow putting major stock in spring numbers

• mike

March 29, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Its not major stock. It’s called earning a shot. Not everyone is great every year. Some guys have a year where they excel. This could be his

2. bacardipr

March 29, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Its possible that Manshp might of found something. I hope he does for the teams sake. His past records both in the minors and majors arent to encouraging to say the least. Hollands made the roster since Ethan is hurt. My guess he wont get too many innings. He also can be used for multiple innings in the likely event Manship gets knocked around. Kind of joke there but…

• Jim

March 29, 2014 at 4:55 pm

…might “have” found…
      It’s going to be a long season for the Phils.

March 29, 2014 at 2:16 pm

My guess is that Nix and Mayberry are still here temporarily due to injuries. I think that Ruf and Freddy have done enough over the years to earn those spots with the team. I hope they will be brought back over Nix/Mayberry when they are ready and able.

I am extremely happy that Hernandez made the team. I have high hopes for his sweet swing, versatility, and athleticism.

But I think they may have taken an unfortunate gamble with Fransden that he wouldn’t walk away from the 900,000. I think they were hoping he would just accept a demotion- not wanting to give up the money- and then they could bring him back if/when they wanted. Clearly his agency did a heck of a job, and the gamble backfired. Oh well, I wish him the best except for 19 games this season.

4. Chuck A.

March 29, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Again….. What is wrong with acquiring Jayson Nix? …. Let’s break it down…

*Freddy Galvis is on the DL.
    *Kevin Frandsen, while a decent PH, basically sucks in the field and is limited (no SS).
    *Reid Brignac?? Please.

For those that are questioning Nix coming here, I have a basic question for you –
    Just who else would you have chosen?

Look….I’ve been questioning a lot of Amaro’s move lately (a departure from my previous position a few years back)…. But this is one move that I just can’t find much fault with.

5. chris

March 29, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Diekman blows as does bj.
    I’m tired of them giving the same old sorry pitchers chance after chance

• Hogey's Role

March 29, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Actually I like both of those guys they’re young and still learning and they both have rocket arms, in good with giving them more chances

• reno

March 30, 2014 at 5:10 am

come on?diekman throws 99 fastball.

6. Barry

March 29, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Diekman a same old sorry pitcher???? Are you kidding me? He’s got a 99 mph fastball, and he WILL be our next closer. Book it. Watch the games.

7. Zak

March 29, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Looks like a sub .500 team

• Phil

March 30, 2014 at 12:53 am

Looks like a last place team.

• wbramh

March 30, 2014 at 8:41 am

But a well-balanced last place team in that they have grave weaknesses everywhere but food concessions.

8. ballparkbob

March 30, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Is it wishful thinking that your link for Tony Gwynn Jr goes to Tony Gwynn Sr?

• Adam