Analysis

Six Phillies Begin Year on DL, MLB Ups PED Penalty

Six Phillies will start the season on the DL:

RHP Mike Adams – recovering from right shoulder surgery (retroactive to March 26)
INF/OF Freddy Galvis – left knee infection (retroactive to March 21)
RHP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez – right shoulder tendinitis (retroactive to March 21)
LHP Cole Hamels – left biceps tendinitis (retroactive to March 21)
RHP Ethan Martin – right shoulder inflammation (retroactive to March 21)
OF/1B Darin Ruf – left oblique strain (retroactive to March 21)

No real surprises there.

But there is a real surprise happening in the majors. In their quest to rid baseball of performance enhancing drugs, the MLB has pushed a first-time suspension to 80 games and a postseason ban with a second time being caught now a full 162 games, plus the playoffs. A third failed test and you’re gone for life.

It won’t stop everyone of trying them – there will still be those who would take the 80 games if it means a long-term, guaranteed deal – but it should certainly help. I am, however, a proponent of using HGH to speed up the process for injured players if it is done under the watchful eye of MLB. But I think we know that’s not happening or is likely very far off.

1. Hogey's Role

March 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I think it should be a lot tougher, 1 year ban for first time offenders and lifetime ban the second time…. Stiffer penalties are the only way to clean up the game

2. bacardipr

March 28, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I believe in second chances myself. I do agree with Hogey, however this is a step in the right direction.

3. wbramh

March 29, 2014 at 1:54 am

The penalties make sense but suspensions cause the team and fans to suffer along with the offending player.

In my mind, hitting first and second offense cheaters in their wallets also makes the point without hurting the team and fans as much as extended suspensions.

I would suggest forcing cheaters to play for the league minimum for one year (minimum 2 years for a second offense). Additionally, the player’s current contract should be made null and void and any new contract the team may wish to commit to could then be based on the numbers produced by the player when his system is drug-free. Once the penalty period is served the player’s existing team should retain right of first refusal at a contract amount not to exceed the one breached by the player’s actions.

I suspect most of us could learn to survive on $480,000 per year. You could argue that the worst slugs among them (a Rodriguez or Braun) would then play down to the level of their “meager” base salaries but lackluster play would only lower a player’s value when negotiating any post-penalty contract.

Just a thought.

4. wbramh

March 29, 2014 at 2:15 am

I should clarify that I’m not necessarily advocating doing away with suspensions in favor of salary reduction, but rather, to do some combination of both. Certainly, if a team is found to be negligent or deliberately aids and abets a player’s illegal actions, they should lose his services and be fined as well.

5. bacardipr

March 29, 2014 at 4:19 am

Ugh guess the Phils and Ruben felt the need to their annual dumpster pick up. That would be Jayson Nix. My guess is that Rube took a gamble that Frandsden would return. Well that sort of backfired and Nix just so happen to be available.

6. "Big Ed" Delahanty

March 29, 2014 at 6:33 am

I’m hoping it is delerium, but I think I heard somewhere that the Phillies signed Jayson Nix, Laynce’s brother. So we didn’t learn from Laynce’s performance? Oh Ruben. Man, the guy is a total rube. This could be a long day’s journey into night ( see Eugene O’Neill).

• Scotty Ingerton

March 29, 2014 at 7:51 am

He’s constructed one of the worst five teams in baseball while at the same time having the advantage of a top five payroll at his disposal. It’s a sad chapter in Phillies’ history for sure.

7. Chuck A.

March 29, 2014 at 8:11 am

Big Ed and bacardi – J Nix is a clear upgrade over K Frandsen. No? And would you guys have rather had R Brignac on the team? And what does signing J Nix have anything to do with L Nix?

Not a sexy move but not a bad one by RAJ, either. At least at this point in the season.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

March 29, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Chuck,
      Frandsen led the league in pinch hits, and I think he will haunt us at some point. J Nix while better than Brignac is not going to really impress. Hopefully, I’m wrong in that assertion.

• schmenkman

March 29, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Anytime you let somebody go there’s a chance they can hurt you (Hello, Rod Barajas), but while Frandsen led in pinch hits, he was also third in the league in PH at bats. He hit .250 as a pinch hitter, which isn’t bad, especially given the low success rate of pinch hitters, but they needed someone who can back up at short until Galvis is ready, and Nix is a better option than Brignac.

8. bacardipr

March 29, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hmmm im not sure Chuck

• Chuck A.

March 29, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Yeah, I liked Kevin Frandsen, too. He has that “grinder” attitude that fans like, especially around here. But he was pretty awful in the field and, yes, they needed someone to back up at short as well as other positions. Jayson Nix is has a little pop in his bat and he’s obviously better than Brignac. I really see at least a wash here …. But I really feel that it’s an upgrade.