2014 Game Recaps

Brown’s Double Leads Phils to Third Straight Win

Domonic Brown drove in Carlos Ruiz in the 10th inning on a double off of J.P. Howell to lead the Phillies to a 3-2 win over the Dodgers.

Burnett’s Big Night at the Plate

The Phillies had a number of chances to score early on the back of big nights at the plate by A.J. Burnett and Ben Revere. Yes, you read that correctly. Burnett went 6 2/3 innings, giving up two earned with 5 Ks but the real story last night was his bat: Burnett sprayed 3 hits into the outfield last night, going 3 for 3 with a run scored. Revere, hitting lead off, went 4-5 with a stolen base and a run scored, raising his average to .300. The two combined for seven of 11 Phillies hits.

Good Defense by Rollins

Jimmy Rollins was Burnett’s best friend in the field, making several nice stops on ground balls issued by the right hander. Rollins showed particularly strong range up the middle, knocking down a really tough ball by Dee Gordon in the second and making a really nice play on a ball Matt Kemp hit to a similar spot in the fourth.

Bullpen Goes the Distance

With the game knotted at 2, the Phillies ‘pen went 3 and 1/3 strong. Jake Diekman ended the seventh for Burnett, Mike Adams retired Yasiel Puig, Hanley Ramirez, and Adrian Gonzalez in order in the eighth, Antonio Bastardo got a pair of strikeouts in the ninth to earn the win, and Jonathan Papelbon retired three out of four hitters he faced for the save.

The Phillies look for four in a row tonight as Cole Hamels makes his return to face Zack Greinke. With an Atlanta loss last night, the Phillies moved to just 3 games out of the NL East lead.

1. Carlos

April 23, 2014 at 7:51 am

Go Phils!Great game, hope Cole is ready to go.

April 23, 2014 at 10:27 am

Dodgers look like awful fielders so far. Money might buy you love, but apparently not defense. Good win. 3-2 is a fine start for the first half of the west coast road trip.

3. Chuck A.

April 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

10-10 is an ok start I guess…based on the expectations of this team. For what it’s worth, last season they started 9-11 for the first 20 games and were 12-15 in April. Bottom line is I still think we’re looking at no better than a .500 team for the season.

Not feeling a win tonight. It’s Cole’s first game back and I’m really not expecting him to be at full strength. And Greinke has been pretty good so far this year. I hope I’m wrong.

4. RatBastardNJ

April 23, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Really nice win considering that A.J. looked to be struggling in the first inning and there had to be concern with how he would do the rest of the game AND our best hitter was not in even the lineup. Enjoying this mini win streak and hopefully Cole can come out strong tonight to keep it going.

5. lew

April 23, 2014 at 1:25 pm

off the subject, but does any on else think matt stairs needs work on his enunciation? i miss some of his comments. i think he is good abd witty

• nahroots

April 23, 2014 at 3:22 pm

He talks way too fast.

6. betasigmadeltashag

April 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm

A good game to win with the offense Dandburg put out there. AJ pitched a good game. LA defense was pretty bad. It was a nice game by the pen Adams looked good. Revere seems to be hitting his stride again at the plate, maybe having Tony Jr breathing down his neck is putting a little fire in his ass.
    The only thing 11 hits need to produce more than 3 runs.

• Hogey's Role

April 23, 2014 at 2:19 pm

If fire in his ass is what he needs maybe he should eat Taco Bell before the game lol

• schmenkman

April 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I don’t think Gwynn has anything to do with how well Revere is doing.

7. wbramh

April 23, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I’m just impressed that AJ Burnett has the highest BA and OBP on the team.
    I wonder if he can play 3B?

8. Ken Bland

April 23, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Sometimes, it’s easy to project where conversation will go based on the events of a game.

And I’d say I was about 90% certain that for all the bullpen shortcomings early on, and the quick keyboards spelling out anger, I’d have thought somebody would have cited the tremendous, and tremendously important inning by Mike Adams last night. I mean, what a relief from earlier pen blowups.

Figuring that between the 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys, each carries some 30% of the load during crunch time So any of the back 3 are not shy on responsibility. That large percentage clearly suggests just how important 1 guy can be to a pen.

He retires 3 excellent hitters. On 7 pitches. 2,3 maybe 4 guys have failed in his role so far last night. What ratio of his former highly successful self he can touch remains to be seen, but for 1 night, he was brilliant, in a clutch role. Like SO many graybeards on the club, if he keeps it going as a pretty reliable contributor, not to be confused with his lights out contribution skills as a Padre, it’s a huge help.

• Hogey's Role

April 23, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I was actually very impressed with the bullpen last night, especially Adams bastardo and papelbon, hopefully the three of them can right the ship of our bullpen woes

• photoFred

April 23, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Yes, very encouraged by Mr. Adams—he’s one of the things that went wrong last couple of seasons. If he’s going to contribute that’s a big positive.

Paps was hitting 92-93 and even more impressive he was hitting Ruiz’s glove, like dead center most pitches. One by one the pieces are falling into place. This team could be a lot better than predicted though there’s still plenty of time for the wheels to fall off.

9. The Original Chuck P

April 23, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I’ve been telling anyone willing to listen to hang in there and not give up hope.. the magic is still there. The fight is obviously there. This team is capable of great things and I know I’m feeling pretty positive. So many of the “ifs” that needed to happen in order for this season to materialize as a success are seemingly of no concern to the guys on the field. Howard’s OPS’ing .880 right now. Jimmy is giving us what we need. Chase is mashing… Chooch and Byrd are giving us timely hits -w e’re getting stability in RF and we’ve got a huge wild card in LF that is absolutely capable of carrying this team. Our starting pitching has hung in there despite not having our ace (what a shot in the arm Cole Hamels is) and I’d say our bullpen situation is stabilizing… Diekman, Bastardo, Adams, Papelbon sounds pretty good to me (last year, we were throwing DeFratus out there as a necessity). Our defense needs to improve but the talent is there. If Asche doesn’t hit, throw Galvis out there for his defense. Would anybody object to that? My point is, this thing is heading in the right direction… I just want meaningful baseball in August. There’s nothing better than spending the day on the beach and an afternoon chilling on a beach house porch stoop listening to Phillies baseball, beer in hand. I want nothing more than to see this team get one more shot at another ring and I truly believe it can happen.

• photoFred

April 23, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Original Chuck, please pass me a glass of what you’re drinking because I’m feeling real thirsty. I wanna believe.

• Lefty

April 23, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I have always loved your enthusiastic optimism Chuck.

Just to be clear, Chase is not exactly mashing anymore. He has, as predicted by most, come down to earth. In fact, in his last 6 games his triple slash is .208/.200/.292

And- lord help me for typing this- I saw him grimacing after running the bases the other day, like I used to see when his knees were not so good. I pray it was nothing.

• Chuck A.

April 23, 2014 at 6:44 pm

This other Chuck isn’t so optimistic. I wish I was but there are TOO MANY things that need to go just right …. all at the same time….in order for “meaningful baseball in August” to be a reality. It’s great that Chase got off to a hot start, that Howard seems to be getting it together a bit, that Paps is hitting 92-93 on the gun and locating his pitches (finally), that Cole is coming back, that Adams is back (but is he healthy?), etc., etc. But can all this be sustained over the course of a very long season?? …

• Lefty

April 23, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Oh stop being such a board bully 🙂

As far as Paps ( better known in some circles as the face we’d love to punch) is concerned, his “velo” is up, but I still don’t think he’s hitting spots all that well. He is getting guys to swing outside the zone and it’s working, so that’s all that matters

• Chuck A.

April 23, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Yeah….that’s what I am…. A real bully of the cyber world. Mr. Difficult. :):)

And I guess the jury’s out on Paps. Can he continue to work his smoke and mirrors magic on a regular basis? Hey, as long as he does his job….I’m ok with whatever BS he decides to spew forth.