2014 Game Recaps

Byrd Ends Near Five-Hour Marathon, Phils Win 3-2

Marlon Byrd hit a one-out, RBI double in the eleventh inning to put the Phillies ahead 3-2. Jonathan Papelbon earned his tenth straight save with a perfect eleventh and the Phillies snapped a four game losing streak with a 3-2 victory over the Mets.

Utley, Brown Spark Offense Early

Chase Utley appeared to be coming back down to earth after a scorching April. Until today. Utley went 3-5 with 3 runs scored, his first steal, and a double. For those who keep track of these things, Utley has been worth 1.6 fWAR including his 5/10 performance, making him the eighth most valuable Major Leaguer, the sixth-most valuable National Leaguer, and the highest-ranking National League second baseman. Dom Brown drove in the first two runs for the Phillies with a one-out single in the third and a two-out single in the fifth.

Phillies Runners Take Advantage of d’Arnaud’s Arm

Former Phillies’ prospect Travis d’Arnaud is not known for his arm and the Phillies took advantage of this fact. Carlos Ruiz, Utley, and Brown all stole off d’Arnaud rather easily.

Another Solid Effort From Hernandez Handed to Bullpen

Roberto Hernandez turned in another solid start but was unable to pitch beyond the fifth inning. Hernandez allowed only one run, earned, on a first inning Curtis Granderson double. Hernandez teetered but did not break. The same could reasonably said for the bullpen: Jake Diekman, Mike Adams, Antonio Bastardo, Mario Hollands, and Jonathan Papelbon combined for six innings, striking out eight, walking two, while giving up only one earned run.

Bastardo would be the pitcher the Mets got to, allowing Daniel Murphy to score on a David Wright in the eighth. Bastardo responded with a scoreless ninth, his second inning pitched. Hollands earned his first Major League win after giving up only one hit in the tenth and Papelbon threw a perfect eleventh for the save.

Runners Left on Base

This game, at times, was excruciating to watch. At four hours, 45 minutes, it no doubt will rank as one of the longest games of the year. But the content was pretty yawn worthy, too, despite a plethora of base runners. The two clubs combined for an amazing 32 runners (17 for New York, 15 for Philly) left on base. For whatever it is worth, the National League record for a nine-inning game is 18.

The Phillies will send RHP Kyle Kendrick to the mound tomorrow to face RHP Dylan Gee. Winner gets out of the NL East basement and has a chance to gain ground on the first-place Marlins. You read that right, the first-place Marlins. I told you they weren’t going to be as bad as everyone thought they’d be.

May 10, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Oh man, I sat through nine innings, and then fell asleep before the best part, but glad they won. Hernandez is proving to be a really solid 4/5 man.

• Hogey's Role

May 10, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I really do like Hernandez, he throws a lot of pitches, but I love the way he works out of jams, that’s really impressive, I just wish he didn’t get in so many of them lol…

• photoFred

May 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Lefty, I know the feeling. That’s why I have Tivo. ūüėČ

• Lefty

May 10, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I do too Fred, but I can’t seem to dodge the score in the morning- and once I know, it’s no good. Ya know?

• photoFred

May 10, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Yep, I know‚ÄĒalthough I still like to watch the highlights‚Ķassuming there were any.

I often fast forward through innings looking for interesting action and what really stands out when you compress time like that is how often the “do we want to ask for a replay” dance goes on. I wonder if replay has actually made games longer. Probably too early to have good numbers yet but will be interesting to see at the end of the season.

2. David

May 10, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I don’t think the bases were stolen on D’Arnaud. I think the Phillies scouting report indicated that Mejia just doesn’t hold runners on. Otherwise, Utley and Ruiz aren’t running. Actually, the throw to get Ruiz would have gotten him out if the shortstop had stayed with the tag.

3. Jacob Muran

May 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Finally Sandberg fav Galvis is sent down..

4. Jacob Muran

May 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm

The over manager needs to bench Revere as well.

• Lefty

May 10, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Could you help me understand where the line is drawn between over-managing and just plain managing. This is not a jab at you, I truly don’t get your definition as sometimes you call for inaction as opposed to action, and sometimes- like today, you call for action as opposed to inaction. How do you define “over” managing?

• Hogey's Role

May 10, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Wouldn’t benching revere be over managing technically? I guess he’s been struggling a little lately so he should be benched??

• Lefty

May 10, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Seriously, I’m not trying to be a smart ass (this time), I just want to understand where he’s coming from.

5. Hogey's Role

May 10, 2014 at 3:35 pm

And everybody is done responding to the murans posts, lol

6. Jacob Muran

May 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm

The Over Manager is simply Sandberg’s title.. Its not dictated based on any singular move going fwd, its who he is.

7. Jacob Muran

May 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm

The Over Manager is simply Sandberg’s title.. Its not dictated based on any singular move going fwd, its who Sandberg is.

• Chuck A.

May 10, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Who gave him that title? David Montgomery? Ruben Amaro? The late Claire Buck? Is it in his contract? Does he have business cards with that title on them? (And yes…..I AM being a smart-ass).

• loupossehl

May 11, 2014 at 4:04 am

First 9 games in May, Ben Revere goes 6 for 27 (.222). Bench him?

First 7 games in April, Marlon Byrd went 6 for 28 (.214). Should he have been benched?

In his two April starts, Cole Hamels had an ERA of 6.75. Drop him down to the 4 or 5 slot in the rotation?