Gameday 50: Rockies at Phillies – Phillies Nation
2014 Gameday

Gameday 50: Rockies at Phillies

Colorado Rockies (28-24) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (22-27)

Starting Pitchers:
COL: Jordan Lyles (5-1. 3.45)
vs.
PHI: Roberto Hernandez (2-2, 3.83)

Time: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Chance of Rain, 63
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight: Last night started with a rain delay, and by the looks of it today will be the same.  Rain is in the forecast for most of the evening.

Jordan Lyles is just 23 years of age.  He has struggled in the Major Leagues in previous years, but he is off to a solid start this season.  Lyles’ repertoire consists of a fastball, curveball, and changeup.  Roberto Hernandez is coming off a decent start against the Dodgers where he allowed two runs.

Lineup:

1. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I am treating this game like a pre season exhibition.

I have a life time bet with a Mets fan for Phillies vs Mets every year for a better record.

To celebrate the fact that the 2 teams are possibly the worst and second worst teams in baseball history respectively.

We are going to bet 50 dollars per game in the up coming 5 gamer of the Phillies vs the mets.

An unprecedented 5 game series between 2 storied franchises.

I can imagine a 7 hour 9 inning game with 64 men left on base.

A possible double no hitter where one team wins 4-3 with 7 runs scoring on errors and walks.
    That lasts 6 hours.

A 1-0 game. That features 40 plus men left on base.

Anyway.

I am so stoked for the “series” that starts tomorrow and runs through Monday that this is just a warm up for me.

Go Phils and save some runs for the big series!

5 games!!!!!!! of Cooperstown level baseball.

with a possibility of me losing 250$ on the Phillies.

That would be funny.

2. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 6:32 pm

The Phillies do have home field but I still favor the mets in the “series”.

The Phillies have been terrible at home.

Also the Phillies have Ryan Howard and the Mets don’t.

That tilts it to the Mets.

I guess I could also win 250.

But the could the Phillies sweep a 5 game series vs a High school team?

I think not.

But I am stoked!

Go Phils!!!

The games will have some excitement.

At least for 5 days.

• betasigmadeltashag

May 29, 2014 at 12:06 am

You can go back into your hole and bring all your negative s#*t with you as Ryan hits a game winning HR of a lefty

• Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 12:14 am

Really dude. Considering the condition of the franchise and his career.

Enjoy the win and stop hating on fans who look at the team and individual players in a realistic manner.

3. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Cargo and Tulo not starting and no Arenado, that’s a big break for the home team.

• Brooks

May 29, 2014 at 6:35 am

How about Tulo coming up as a ph with the bases loaded and fail – phew..

4. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 7:15 pm

That’s a hell of a catch. Great effort.

5. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I have Tulo in fantasy and I am running bad at the track and in fantasy.

Hoping to turn it all around with the weekend series.

6. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Tulo is the best there is right now so you must have some guys that are seriously underperforming.

7. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I also have Pujos whose been super.

But I lost every closer I drafted to injury.

I also have Josh Hamilton, Ryan Zimmermann, Chris Davis who have been IRed for most or a good deal of the season so far.

8. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Davis is heating up, I tried to swing a deal for him this winter but got outbid by another owner. So I got lucky and drafted Moss and he’s been great.

9. Mike Ashton

May 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

During the last half inning they showed a stat on Instant Replay and said 4 were “Record Keepers.” (I may be mistaken on the exact term so kill me). What does that mean, record keeper?

• lefty

May 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm

That has to do with incorrect balls and strikes or outs and substitutions.

10. Tracey

May 28, 2014 at 8:00 pm

ugh… 2 runs and only one out…

11. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Man, M orneau has played well this year. Going to Colorado is a great career move for a player.

• Brooks

May 29, 2014 at 6:37 am

If you watched the game, the hr that Justin hit was just over my head – I was the white haired guy with the red Phillies jacket – it was 4 rows behind me. They got another shot when Byrd hit a foul to the RF corner and it was tossed back into the stands – oh well, so my friends told me anyway.

12. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Guerrero huh? That surprises me. I would gave thought Gary Carter or Chopper maybe.

13. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Lol Chipper, stupid phone

14. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I’d hate to be a baserunner on a base ahead of Utley. He is so aggressive he almost overran Rollins after he tagged the other night. I’m quite sure he’d run this old man over.

15. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm

If someone makes a serious offer for Utley.

Or even a somewhat serious offer you have to trade him.

We are lucky his value is as high as it is now and it is never going to be this high again.

Also he deserves a chance and there is no chance here.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 8:51 pm

“Also he deserves a chance and there is no chance here.”

I’ll never understand why some feel compelled to add this. He is an adult who just signed a contract. He has the ability to veto a contract, but if he were to ask for a trade, I doubt the Phillies wouldn’t try to meet that request.

In any case, if the Phillies are offered a can’t miss prospect, you have to consider it. Short of that, I’d rather keep Utley’s on-field performance, and his presence as a role model for young players.

I also wouldn’t have traded MIke Schmidt when he had 450 home runs.

16. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm

But they wont trade him.

that’s what really worries me.

If this bad management is coming from above Amaro.

The hoarding. The not wanting to lose a player some fans love and the jersey sales.

You have to run a team to win.

If you win people will support regardless.

Holding onto players forever is a way to get attendance to tank.

17. Tracey

May 28, 2014 at 9:04 pm

whee! tie game!!!

• lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Hot dog! 100 pitches now, gonna need a super pitching effort now to give us a chance.

18. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:06 pm

So Shenk its worth it to you for the Phillies to stink and stink into the future so Rollins can get some personal all time Phillies records?

I never got that.

The attendance figures for this year are showing you how the strategy is working.
    Instead of clinging to old players fans are more interested in winning and having a fun contending team.

I wonder when revenues are way down like attendance if the pay roll will shrink.

I would trade my mother and my little dog tomorrow to make the team better.
    I don’t care if shes one hit away from breaking every record in MLB history.

The problem is the Phillies are run like a homer person on a blog.
    The fans got every thing they wanted.

And now the team sucks and they don’t even watch anymore.

It will be a case of what came first the chicken or the egg.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Why did you change the topic from Utley to Rollins suddenly?

19. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:12 pm

So if some team offers you their entire farm system for Rollins you cant do it.

Never mind that he would block it. Which is another discussion.

You as a team wont trade away a guy 14 hits from becoming the teams all time hit leader.

Now it is fine for a fan to feel this way. Expected even. Although I don’t understand it.

The problem is you have a team that is run on this level.

Amaro is actually at a guy who posts on a web site level.

Actually he is lower level than most of the people posting.

20. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:13 pm

You’d never trade that little dog and you know it. :-).

21. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:17 pm

no topic change.

they are about the same.

Only the Rollins re signing was IMO the worst move of all the Amaro bad moves.

But that’s just my opinion.

Utley would never block a trade though.

Game day thread anyway and the game is tied 2-2 !

I am getting worked up for the big series starting tomorrow.

And no lefty Chandler is untouchable.

• Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 9:21 pm

It’s actually one of his BETTER signings as Jimmy has played to his contract or really even better than the value of the contract.

• Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:24 pm

That’s your opinion.

I feel he is not good for the team.

Certainly not clogging the top of the line up the last 3 or so years

Nice to see you my friend!

Hope you are around for the big series starting tomorrow.

22. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I am not excited for Jimmy breaking the Phillies records and am mad he would block any trade.
    Also mad Ruben would sign him to a contract that gave him the right to block any trade.

Part of signing him to a deal should have been the Phillies have full control on things like that.

Ut oh the bull pen is in!

23. Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Andrew – just exactly WHO would you have played at SS the last 3 years?

24. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Any major league level SS from Galvis to anyone else who can be above average clove and hit 8th at .220 average.

The team would have been crappy with whomever that person is.

Just like its been with Jimmy.

Stuff like not letting the team trade you to get better irritates me.

You would think hed want to goto a contender and win.

But I think its more about him than winning.

Again just my opinion.

25. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’m frustrated with Tony no dads

26. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I am a fan who likes to win.

During the hey day when Moyer was winning as many games as Hamels every year.

I liked moyer just as much or more.

I am a fan of winning not players.

I am a fan of what players can do to help the team win.

27. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Bastardo needs to goto the Dominican with Ruiz.

Manny Ramirez is back in baseball.

Here we go

2nd and 3rd nobody out

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Why would Ruiz go to the Dominican? A Punta Cana vacation perhaps?

28. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Maybe Tulo will get to pinch hit with the bases loaded!

29. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:42 pm

ok thanks

that was some outing 21 pitches 16 balls

LOL

30. Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Galvis is not a major league level SS and wasn’t even close to hitting .220. And there really wasn’t anyone else available when Rollins was signed.

31. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Ugggggghh!!!

32. Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Bastardo sucks. Plain and simple.

33. wbramh

May 28, 2014 at 9:47 pm

The Red Sox have a top rookie at short in Boegarts.
    Rollins has twice the RBIs in 2 less games and half the errors.
    I’d say Rollins is still a durable option.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 9:58 pm

With all due respect, Rollins isn’t a “durable option”, he’s the second best shortstop on planet Earth.

• Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Jeter is first?

You aren’t one of those guys are you?

The Yankees fans are making me sick with that stuff.

Rollins is better than Jeter I will say that for Jimmy.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Talking about this year, when Tulo is head and shoulders above everyone. Rollins is the best of the rest.

• DavidE

May 28, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Have to disagree with that view. Simmons is probably a better defensive shortstop than Rollins ever was. Segura would certainly be a better option too. Brandon Crawford is a solid shortstop too. With his hitting this year, Rollins has value but he is no longer a top player at that position.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 11:41 pm

@DavidE, I didn’t specify fielding or hitting, I am talking about overall production: offensively, defensively, and on the bases.

So far this year, no shortstop other than Tulo has been better.

Your last sentence is simply not supported by the facts.

• wbramh

May 29, 2014 at 8:32 pm

A deliberate understatement on my part.
      I totally agree with you about Rollins.

34. Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Thank you Mr. Adams.

35. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Michael Martinez could have played SS. Oh you meant Major league SS’s.

Nice !! We got good Adams tonight.

36. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Mike adams was the greatest signing .

ever

At least at this time!!!!

5 pitches 3 outs.

37. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Cargo and Tulo that’s impressivem

38. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Stop hating on Mini Mart and Glavis.

Glavis just needs to got the drug store with Bastardo and Manny Ramirez.

Base hit Rollins!

Just think he may get the Phillies record during the all time most important series coming this weekend.

39. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Come on offense you’re not going to get relief pitching like that often. Nice Jimmy.

40. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Oops

41. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 9:59 pm

They ruled it FC ? That sucks

42. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Look Lefty its Diekman.

To give you a night of Bastardo and Diekman.

I am calling you lucky now not lefty.

LOL

At the Rollins comments.

Entitled to your opinions.

There was a reason when he was a FA no one really wanted him but the Rube.

But you can like who you want to.

43. Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 10:06 pm

So …again, Andrew… Besides Galvis (who is NOT a major leaguer), realistically who would you have signed to play SS? Who was available? Who was a better option?

44. Tracey

May 28, 2014 at 10:07 pm

bleh…

45. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Jamie makes a great point.

46. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:10 pm

There you go Lucky.

Diekman.

Chuck

any SS who would have hit .220 and offered above average defense at SS.

I think Jimmy not being on this roster would have made this team better.

Leffty ( lucky you can ring off some names?)

I am saying every other major league SS Id choose.

Mccarthy has to complain about the strike zone.

He is always apologizing for the team.

• Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 10:12 pm

That’s not a valid answer. Who was available? You can’t just say “anyone” because not everyone was available.

• Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Whomever was available at that time who was not Jimmy Rollins is who Id want.

Lefty can back me up on this.
        The day he became a fre agent I was begging and pleading to just let him walk away.

For so many reasons I used to post about back then.

But tis a done deal and hes here and I wish him the best.

Still IMO the worst move by Ruben because it reinforced what was and is wrong with the franchise.

47. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:10 pm

You don’t have to throw the heat if you’re lefty Carlton, but yeah, Mr Diekman shouldn’t screw around with a slider there.

48. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Moyer makes a lot of good points.

I miss wheeler and his hair though.

49. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I don’t have answers for you Andy. but I would have preferred a shorter lighter deal considering the SS market at that time.

50. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Ok its a 1 run defecit.

Put on your rally caps!

All 600 people still in the stands lol

• Brooks

May 29, 2014 at 6:44 am

When the game got under way, there were over 23,000 in the stands – I was one of the 22,999 that left by the 7th inning and missed what I had been hoping for all year. To see a Howard HR, and a come from behind win –
      Last 2 games Howard has played, 9 rbi’s – gotta love it.
      One of my favorite plays of the night was the DP from Chooch to Howard – Chooch’s throw was spot on!

51. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Diekman does the same thing the way he shakes his glove every time he makes the mistake hanging that slider. He clearly knows when he’s doing it, he’ll figure it out. Unfortunately that won’t help tonight.

52. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Tulo is a real superstar if he can stay on the field.

53. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Lemayhew hadn’t homered since last august.

The Mets have won 2 in a row.

I don’t like how the “series” is trending.

54. mike in NJ

May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I don’t get using Papelbon here. You’re about to play a 5 game series against the Mets that could put the close to the final nail in your season with you don’t win at *least* 3 of 5…why is he in a game we’re trailing?

I’ve been fairly supportive of Sandberg so far, but this is baffling.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm

It’s way too early for talk of nails and coffins.

I’m not Sandberg’s biggest fan, but this is good to keep the game close.

55. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Great play Utley. In other news Nelson Cruz hit 2 more bombs tonight. Best FA. Signing this year, gotta think Texas is not feeling to good about letting him go m

56. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I feel a ninth inning win coming!

57. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm

That’s a start. Errors are killer’s.

58. schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 10:40 pm

This is Rollins’ 2000th game, in case anyone doesn’t know. Joins Schmidt as the only Phillies with 2000+.

• lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Did you just send that ro TMAC?

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 10:47 pm

No, did he finally say something about it?

• Lefty

May 29, 2014 at 8:59 am

I swear, within seconds of reading your comment, he said it.

59. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Tulo gives J rob second life!

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 10:43 pm

What’s a J rob?

• Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Ha J Rob is one of the drivers at the track I goto.

I meant J rol

60. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:42 pm

The MoJo is clearly on our side.

61. Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 10:43 pm

That’s my point. There really wasn’t anyone as good as or better than Rollins available.

62. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:45 pm

did not know that Schenk

Congrats to Jimmy!

63. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:47 pm

What is a CUV ? Cute utility vehicle?

64. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:47 pm

My point is that the team would be better through subtraction.
    The replacement is moot.

Its that its not him.

But its just perception and opinion.

Here we go!

• Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 10:53 pm

That makes ZERO sense. C’mon…you’re smarter than that.

• Lefty

May 29, 2014 at 9:00 am

Are you certain of that?

65. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:50 pm

YEAH BABY!

66. Hogey's Role

May 28, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Awesome job chase!!!!

67. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I thiink we can

I think we can

68. Andrew from waldorf

May 28, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Wow

Have I mentioned lately how much I love howard????

Great game day thread!!!!

Winner winner
    Chicken Dinner!

Now onto the “series”

69. Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Off. A. Lefty. !!!

70. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Woooohoooo!

71. photoFred

May 28, 2014 at 10:58 pm

They turned back the clock tonight. So good.

72. Hogey's Role

May 28, 2014 at 10:59 pm

That was a bomb by ryho!!! Nice!!!!

73. lefty

May 28, 2014 at 11:01 pm

How many times have you seen it? You just cant make those kinds of errors and give teams extra outs.

74. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 28, 2014 at 11:07 pm

That was awesome!!! What a game! Chase Utley you are the MAN! Nice job finally hitting a lefty Howard! Bring on the MUTTS! Go Phils!

75. Ken Bland

May 28, 2014 at 11:23 pm

For all the ways it’s easy to be critical of the 2014 Phillies, and there might not be a numerical system around that counts high enough to list ’em all, the club actually has the second best record in the division in intradivision play. With 8 games coming up now against the Mets and Nats. And 4 games from first place.

• Chuck A.

May 28, 2014 at 11:27 pm

The division is being all but handed to anyone that wants it. The Phillies need to step up NOW.

• Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 12:10 am

This is why I love you Chuck A.

the division is in fact a joke.

The Nationals are DEEPLY flawed. They have bad defense they run the bases poorly they have a lot of issues.

Their manager is suspect too. I didn’t buy for a second that Davey Johnson was the issue last year. and now this guy ( Matt Williams) is in over his head.

The braves are decimated by injuries and that will definitely catch up t them in dog days.

I can see 84-86 winning the division. Its the worst in baseball.

That said I think the Phils are more likely to finish last than first.

But you never know.

Id love to see them get on a roll.

• schmenkman

May 29, 2014 at 12:37 am

Andrew, it’s one thing to say there is no dominant team in the division (which is true). It’s quite another to say the division stinks (which is very much false).

The other way to look at it is that there is no patsy for the other teams to beat up on. There is no Arizona or Houston.

• wbramh

May 29, 2014 at 9:37 am

Schmenk – Re:”The only division in baseball that’s clearly better than the NL East is the AL West.”

Seems you’re correct (again, dammit!).

Interestingly, the NL East appears to be particularly well represented in pitching and decent in fielding. Offense seems the weakness with only 1 NL East team currently in the top 18 (by team BA, for what it’s worth).

Weird NL East Facts Through May 28th:

The team with the highest BA: Marlins – 5th in MLB while their ERA is 15th!
        The team with the lowest ERA: Braves – 2nd lowest in MLB while their BA is 26th!
        The team with the highest FPCT: Phillies – 10th highest in MLB – 20th in BA, 21st in ERA.

76. Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 12:47 am

Arizona is better than the Mets and Phillies and Marlins.

At least last year they were .500 while the other 3 teams in the NL east were 14 games or more below .500

Yes they are off to a bad start this year. But only 4 games behind the Phillies and Mets.

That’s a weekend of baseball.

Certainly not sold on the Marlins being over .500 this year and see both Phils and Mets over 90 losses.

Again just my opinion.

Lets not get carried away after 1 win.

• schmenkman

May 29, 2014 at 1:00 am

What carried away? It’s just reporting what’s happened so far in the first 1/3 of the season.

If you want to make predictions about what may happen and how the last 2/3 will be different for whatever reason, that’s one opinion, as you said.