Kruk Rips Papelbon; MAG Throws in Clearwater

-On Thursday afternoon, Mike Missanelli spoke with ESPN Sunday Night Baseball analyst and former Phillie John Kruk about the Jonathan Papelbon situation from over the weekend. Kruk didn’t pull punches and ripped Papelbon for his inability to be ready, and the possibility that he was out the night before, thus unable to perform his duties as closer.

“I don’t know how you can look teammates in the eye and say, ‘I know we’re a couple of guys short in the bullpen but I can’t go.'”

That pretty much tells you all you need to know. Kruk eluded to the fact that if guys were sore or even slightly injured, they played through it. Darren Daulton was a guy who did that often, according to the former Phillies first baseman.

You can look at it two ways. One, siding with Papelbon, guys go through this sort of thing so many times during the season that the media, and fans, likely do not notice. The only reason they did in this situation is because the bullpen blew a three-run lead with three outs to go, which is not Papelbon’s fault.

On the other hand, as he saw Antonio Bastardo imploding, Papelbon could have called Sandberg and said let me fix this and close it out. He did not. And many are upset about it. Which side are you on?

-Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez pitched at Clearwater last night and tossed five innings. MAG allowed three earned runs while walking two and striking out just one. Ruben Amaro has stated they see him as more of a starter right now than a reliever, although you could make the case they need help with both.

As of a week or two ago, MAG was hitting 94-95 on the gun, showing the team why they inked him to a three-year contract.

1. Hogey's Role

May 16, 2014 at 9:22 am

Krukky always tells it how it is

2. lefty

May 16, 2014 at 9:52 am

I just dont know enough about whatever it was that Papelbon was feeling, to be judgemental about it. Who knows?, maybe he’s still too sore to go today as well. I have a very strong dislike for Pap’s attitude most of the time, but IMO- We just don’t know enough about the situation to make a call like this.

3. lefty

May 16, 2014 at 11:47 am

Checking out the pitching leaders stats, looks like the Phillies got a huge break by not having to face Johnny Cueto in this series.

4. Tom in South Philly

May 16, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Like a good lawyer, I could argue this either way. On one hand, you could tell Papelbon to suck it up and pitch, since you are off the next day. On the other hand, how could he know that the bullpen would not be able to hold a three run lead with only three outs to go? It shouldn’t be that hard.

In this case, give Papelbon the benefit of the doubt.

And yes, I agree the Phils lucked out by not having to face Cueto this weekend.

5. George

May 16, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I’m not in Papelbon’s shoes, so I don’t know if his arm felt ready to fall off or if he was just trying to get a day off. I think Kruk, also not being in Papelbon’s shoes, is a little over the line on this one.

If he had seen Bastardo struggle and thought he could replace him, it would have taken him enough time to warm up that the damage would already have been done, so that’s a moot point.dione it before, and he’s probably an improvement over anyone there now.

And PLEASE, stop misusing the word “eluded.” I’ve mentioned this before, and I’d think that even though you’re not paid, that you could very easily get out a dictionary on this one. Using that word instead of the correct “alluded” makes you look like an idiot, which I know you are not.

If Mag is still slated for the rotation, they’ll simply move Hernandez to the ‘pen. He’s

6. George

May 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Well, the internat somehow botched up my comment, putting one paragraph in the middle of another. I don’t feel like redoing it. Hopefully, it’ll be removed now that I’ve flagged it.

I don’t know if it’s PN or my internet provider, but this site seems to have more glitches than any other I’ve ever used.

7. bacardipr

May 16, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Theres simply not enough evidence to go on. Im shocked even if a baseball player is out all night that he cant suit up for a inning. I mean come on I was a big party person and even up to my late 30s, i would be out to 3 am and still go to work the next day. I also suffer from insomnia an though i would be completely exhausted at time i still made it in.

8. Bart Shart

May 16, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I heard that Papelbon had diarrea and was afraid of having an accident on the mound. Hey, it happens.

9. Bart Shart

May 16, 2014 at 4:24 pm

My spelling of “loose bowels” is wrong. I apologize if I offend

10. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 16, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Whether he could have stopped the Bastardo implosion, or should rest to avoid being injured and out games, is irrelevant.
    Kruk is calling a spade a spade, and Papelbon is a jackass, no matter how well he pitches.
    The guy is pitching well, but his personality and how he goes about himself annoys me. Just my opinion. Apparently, Kruk concurs.
    Go Phils! Let’s string together some wins.

11. Ken Bland

May 16, 2014 at 7:54 pm

That was interesting that Kruk eluded to Papelbon. I always thought a person alluded. Someone used the word accommodate the other day and I asked them if they could spell based on me using words at times I can’t spell.

Re the question, I think the same thing I did in real time. Using Papelbon for a 4 out save. When after the game Sandberg said he had a sore neck, I just dropped it Sort of ironic in that he hasn’t pitched since last Saturday now, and at the rate things are going tonight, chances are he’d have to step out of a save situation to see action.

Interesting move by Kruk to kinda cross at least an imaginary line with a pretty definitive criticism of a player.