Phillies President David Montgomery Undergoes Surgery for Cancer

On Monday, Philadelphia Phillies president David Montgomery underwent surgery to remove cancer from his right jawbone, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.  Montgomery will remain hospitalized at Thomas Jefferson University hospital for approximately one week.  Upon recovering at the hospital, the Phillies expect Montgomery to spend time recuperating at his home.

The Phillies said in a statement: “Although [this was] significant surgery, David has been advised that the success rate in situations such as his is very high and complications are not expected.”

Montgomery, 68, has been the team’s president since 1997.  He has spent 44 seasons in the Phillies’ organization, moving his way up from a ticket sales representative.

Montogmery is a very popular figure among the players and coaches, as well as around Major League Baseball.  He was recently appointed to a search committee to find Bud Selig’s successor for MLB comissioner.

Phillies Nation is wishing Montgomery a speedy recovery.

1. Scotty Ingerton

May 20, 2014 at 6:14 pm

More medical news:

“Cliff Lee had an MRI on his left elbow Tuesday in Philadelphia, according to CSN Phillies insider Jim Salisbury.”

2. Ken Bland

May 20, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Not to seem poor in taste by passing on commenting on David Montgomery’s issue, I found myself more reactive, or reactionary (like I care) to this Cliff Lee elbow MRI, said to be I guess precautionary, although there’s been some discomfort for 3 weeks now.

First thing it did was send me to available details of his contract, and sure enough, his option clause for 2016 is partially dependent upon health of his left elbow and shoulder. We’re a long way from that time, but the ailing body part fits right in line with a body part Cliff needs to be healthy to qualify for the ’16 option.

It’ll be what it’ll be, but I’d prefer not to go through the emotional discomfort of the way Doc’s career went down the tubes with another favorite. If that’s even an on the table possibility based on his current plight.

3. Chris

May 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I thought you said he had the cancer removed? Why is Ruben amaro jr still listed as gm?

• Chuck A.

May 20, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Uncalled for and totally classless in light of someone’s health being compromised.

• Lefty

May 21, 2014 at 9:19 am

aw man, come on.

4. PaMikeyDC

May 21, 2014 at 8:04 am

@Chuck A. I totally agree w you. That’s why I feel w this site- everyone should have to have a log in name and password. Accountability is needed

5. Chris

May 21, 2014 at 11:45 am

It’s accountability alright. Ruben has compromised my health the past few years. If the man had died then I could see it being tasteless. But he’s fine. And for the record Ruben is certainly a cancer

• Chuck A.

May 21, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Is this even serious??

• Chris

May 22, 2014 at 4:51 am

Serious enough your getting all pissy at something so stupid.