News

Utley Amongst Early NL All Star Ballot Leaders

Major League Baseball’s Public Relations department released the National League voting leaders for the 2014 All Star Game this afternoon.

Chase Utley is leading all second basemen with 509,390 votes. Utley’s ballot total thus far makes him the fourth highest overall vote getter behind Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki with 745,823, Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina with 640,464 and Rockies outfielder Charlie Blackmon with 549,394 votes respectivly.

Unsurprisingly absent from the early ballot update release are the representation of other Phillies position players.

Through 46 games, Utley is batting .333, a career high .936 OPS, with 4 home runs and 22 RBI’s in 2014. Utley’s last All Star Game appearance was in 2010.

1. Hogey's Role

May 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

He’s the man!!

2. Phil

May 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Where’s the love for Rollins?

May 28, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I’m surprised Rollins is not in the top five SS’s, the stats support him being there.
    Oh well, low enthusiasm from the fan base this season I guess.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 2:18 pm

He shouldn’t start obviously, with the year Tulo is having, but he absolutely deserves to be there.

• Scotty Ingerton

May 28, 2014 at 2:42 pm

If you’re going by WAR, Peralta is having a better season and Crawford is pretty much having the same season as Rollins. I don’t think it would be that big a deal if Rollins isn’t selected as a backup. Of course, we’re not even into June yet so things could change.

• schmenkman

May 28, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Scotty, you must be looking at baseball reference WAR?

By fangraphs, after Tulo it’s Rollins 1.7, Peralta 1.5, Castro 1.2, Crawford 1.0.

4. bacardipr

May 28, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Thought Papelbon would get a nod or two and Rollins been solid so far. Byrd was doing ok but hes been fading.

May 28, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I saw this offer in my Phillies email and I guess it’s fine, but IMO- it seems just a little bit of an underhanded way to garner votes for our guys. It’s almost pay for votes. Maybe all the teams are doing this and I just didn’t know about it.

“Vote at least 21 times and select the Phillies as your “favorite” or “other favorite” club and you will be automatically entered to earn exclusive ticket discounts.”

• Tracey

May 28, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I remember when you could get people to vote for the Phillies without being bribed. But of course, I’m old.

• Hogey's Role

May 28, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Well that was only 4 years ago

6. Ryne Duren

May 29, 2014 at 9:22 am

I vote only ONCE! For any player. I think voting that many times whether through bribery or not is totally ridiculous. People wonder why there are so many players in the ASG that shouldn’t be there. Just look what you get when the ballot box is stuffed on the local and Federal level. Sickening that what ballot stuffing is. Say what you want, but that’s exactly what it is! And it’s wrong. I want the best to be in there. I don’t care if it’s a politician or a base ball player. PERIOD.