Gameday 79: Braves @ Phlliies – Phillies Nation
2014 Gameday

Gameday 79: Braves @ Phlliies

Atlanta Braves (42-38) at Philadelphia Phillies (36-44)

Starting Pitchers:
ATL: RHP David Hale (2-2, 3.14)
vs.
PHI: RHP Sean O’Sullivan (0-0)

Time: 7:15, Citizens Bank Park
TV: Comcast Sportsnet
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 85
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight:

The Phillies will attempt to salvage the day-night doubleheader against the Braves after losing the matinee game. Veteran Sean O’Sullivan was called up from Lehigh Valley to make this spot start for the Phillies. O’Sullivan was 3-6 with a 4.31 ERA in 15 games started for the Iron Pigs in 2014. Ryan Howard, Ben Revere, and Cody Asche are the three Phillies players who are starting both the afternoon and night game today.

Lineup:

Revere CF / Rollins SS / Byrd RF / Howard 1B / Mayberry LF / Asche 3B / Hernandez 2B / Rupp C / O’Sullivan P

1. Tracey

June 28, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Ugh. So now we get to be embarrassed on national television to complete the day? Newbie pitcher who doesn’t even have a good record in the minors?

2. Tracey

June 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I’m hearing Asche’s walkup song in the background. The song is this:

But I thought it was this:

3. Tracey

June 28, 2014 at 9:08 pm

aw crap…

4. Tracey

June 28, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Byrd blew that – he should be on third

5. Andrew from waldorf

June 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

The team pretty much sucks like we knew all along.

Please fire Amaro.

They just go lifeless for weeks at a time.

6. Andrew from waldorf

June 28, 2014 at 9:52 pm

they need to check the water in the home clubhouse.

Maybe it is laced with sleeping medication or Tylenol PM

Every time this team is at home they are sleep walking.

The racing has been great at Pocono downs.

Lots of world and track records!

7. bacardipr05

June 28, 2014 at 11:40 pm

I think its a lack of talent and i think the teamhas giving up on itself…

8. Scotty Ingerton

June 29, 2014 at 12:01 am

At least the “buyers or sellers” question has been answered fairly definitively. However, the thought of Amaro doing the selling is a scary one.

9. bacardipr05

June 29, 2014 at 3:37 am

I think that was answered a few weeks ago Scotty. Of course they wont say any thing as it will effect ticket and ratins.

10. Scotty Ingerton

June 29, 2014 at 8:50 am

Apparently, the goal of ownership is now to “stay decent” (as if the way they’ve played the past two seasons is “decent”).

“…We’re not as good as we want to be right now, but I think that we can stay decent or better a little longer.”

• Lefty

June 29, 2014 at 10:01 am

Uggghhhhh!

But one thing seems pretty clear, the article shows that the club’s philosophy is not necessarily Ruben Amaro Jr.’s idea. It’s very possible that this is totally ownership’s point of view and Amaro is just doing their bidding like any employee that wants to keep his job would.

• Scotty Ingerton

June 29, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Possibly, but if the organization is satisfied with a “decent” 70 win team, that can be accomplished at a lot less than $180 million. And if they think that fans are content watching this “decent” 70 win team, then they’re oblivious to the ever increasing sea of blue seats down at the ball yard.

11. Carlos

June 29, 2014 at 9:36 am

Halfway to Hell.

12. betasigmadeltashag

June 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I don’t understand a team that seems to care so much on the road and is this flat at home. I get the braves have decent pitching but they played with so much more heart in Atlanta just a week ago

• schmenkman

June 29, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I think it’s ludicrous to say they care less at home, just because the results are worse.

If they hit better, they would look like they care. Not the other way around.

• c. schreiber

June 30, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Really, Schmeck you figured out that if they hit better it would look like they care. I always said you a genius.

• schmenkman

June 30, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Good to see we agree on something, c.s.

13. Andrew from waldorf

June 29, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Did I use to read posts about Victorinos defense?

Since he has left the out field defense has been a DIGRACE

A DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to preach about it and people laughed at me.

Now you have an entire outfield that cant catch fly balls.

You cant win that way

• Scotty Ingerton

June 29, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I always hear circus music in the background whenever the ball is hit to Brown or Revere. For a team theoretically built on pitching, it’s inexcusable to have a defense so poor (I’m including Howard and Asche in that equation as well).

• Mike in NJ

June 30, 2014 at 9:40 am

Hehe I was thinking Benny Hill

14. Andrew from waldorf

June 29, 2014 at 2:32 pm

can we all agree they suck at home?

• lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:39 pm

They’re not a good baseball team anywhere, they’re just not.

15. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Gameday # 80 Braves@Phillies:

16. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Andrew, I didn’t see your answer yesterday.So I went up to the game last night. Bad game but always fun to go- easy to get great seats.

17. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Byrd’s a good outfielder, but besides that we’d be a lot better off with Shane, Werth and Pat.

• schmenkman

June 29, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Pat Burrell? I’d rather have Johnny Callison.

18. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Yes Schmitty, but Howard doesnt walk enough. And Stairs just called him out for it.

19. Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 2:51 pm

OUTTA HERE!!!

20. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Where would this team be without Byrd?

21. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:55 pm

TMAC is obsessed with “end of the bat” like Wheeler used to be about “middle in”

22. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Teams that are 28th in OBP don’t compete for division championships. I don’t care how bad the teams on top are.

• schmenkman

June 29, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Before today, the Phils were 26th, the Braves 27th.

Marlins 12th, Mets 19th, Nats 21st

• Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I’m not in it for a division championship at this point. I just want to see the occasional win. Or at least the occasional non-embarrassing loss.

• lefty

June 29, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Just last week when they swept the Braves there was a lot of talk. I’m all for optimism, believe me I am, but this team doesn’t look like a contender to me. I sure hope I’m wrong.

• schmenkman

June 29, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Lefty, would you say the same about the Braves, then?

• Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 3:25 pm

They do get our hopes up now and then, don’t they? That just makes it all the more painful.

• lefty

June 29, 2014 at 3:38 pm

The Braves are not a great team, but to my way of thinking, they are a team that is capable of contending, yes. Their first baseman, third baseman, shortstop and outfielders catch balls they shouldn’t. Lack of solid D, along with mediocre pitching and hitting have put the Phils in the lower portion of the league. If they play really well from here on out, I think they have a chance at .500, but not better.

23. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Oh my, little league now.

24. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Lets go men, got a very winnable game here.

25. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Congrats Chase.

26. Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 4:00 pm

#1500 for Chase Utley

That’s the main thing we have to look forward to this year: records and milestones.

27. Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Ugh. Way to top off Utley’s milestone.

28. Andrew from waldorf

June 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Wow Lefty

Havent Howard bashed in a very long time.

Its like beating a dead crippled horse.

I think the team would be better just cutting him and eating 25 million next year and the 10 million buy out.

but its moot.

They seem intent on hitting him 4th forever

• lefty

June 29, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Wow what? I’m an optimist but not stupid. I love the Phillies they’re my team, but it’s past time to start selling any pieces they can to attempt to make the rebuild as fast and painfree as possible. You know I’m a realist. I want what’s best for the club and all of us fans, and holding on to hopes of contending this season IMO is not the right direction.

• Andrew from waldorf

June 29, 2014 at 4:49 pm

And I was not taking a shot at you.
        Was tongue in cheek

Just hadn’t bashed Howard in a long time.

I will always feel that if the Phillies had had another first baseman from 06-13 there would be at least 1 more title and maybe 2 more.

this team stinks as a whole.

When they fired Charlie they should have fired Ruben and kept Charlie.

29. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 4:21 pm

And it’s especially wrong to believe in they chance of contending based upon -not how good your team is but how bad the other teams are? That’s ludicrous IMO. The team is either good enough to contend or it’s not.

• schmenkman

June 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm

It depends on what we mean by “contend”. If we mean contend to make the playoffs (by either winning the division or securing a wildcard), then I think it certainly matters how good or bad the other teams are.

If the NL East winner finishes with 82 wins (they’ll probably finish with more, but for argument’s sake), than a team that finishes with 2 or 3 games behind them is a contender for the division (and the playoffs), no matter how good or bad they are deemed to be.

• Scotty Ingerton

June 29, 2014 at 7:16 pm

This one is easy. Whether the division winner finishes with 102 wins, 92 wins, or 82 wins. The Phillies are not contenders. They’ll finish in the 70 win range, plus or minus (probably minus) a game or two.

• schmenkman

June 29, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I see more of a 75 win range, but otherwise no argument on the Phillies specifically.

• Mike in NJ

June 30, 2014 at 9:44 am

I had predicted 67 wins. Right now they’re on a pace better than that, but you have to think they’ll trade a couple guys for prospects, and we’ll see even less talented guys everyday than we are now.

30. lefty

June 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Andrew I leave the bashing to you. It seems you like being the guy who can say I told you so, while all of us were praying the window wasn’t closing. I take no pleasure in it, none. But it’s clear to many of us this season that it’s over. So make the sensible moves that sports teams on the downside make. Gotta run, catch you later.

• Andrew from waldorf

June 29, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Not into saying I told you so. Wish I had been wrong.

My rants were done before the titanic was steered into the iceburg by Amaro.

Its hit now and its sunk.

Really I just wake up every day hoping and praying he will be fired.

And every day he is not.

I have no confidence he can right the sinking ship.

the Padres fired their GM mid season why not the Phils?

• Lefty

June 29, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Okay that was harsh, sorry. I just want what’s best and there is no ego associated with it.

31. Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm

OH BABY!!!

32. Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Come on, Chase! Gimme 1501!!!

33. Tracey

June 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm

crap

34. bacardipr05

June 29, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Andrew will you probably already know this as to why Rube probably wont get fired. The Phils have a good ol boy type of mentality. They reward and promote sometimes seemingly blindly their own. They will at the least let him finish the season and probably have him step down though even that is doubtful. The bad part is they probably promote again one of their own( uninspiring person) to the GM pos and thus starts the process all over

35. Scotty Ingerton

June 30, 2014 at 9:03 am

A pretty good break down of Domonic Brown’s major league career. On either side of those magical 42 games of last season, he’s had complete seasons of being terrible.

• schmenkman

June 30, 2014 at 9:35 am

From the same “analyst” who found that Wilson Valdez was as good or better than Rollins and Utley.

• schmenkman

June 30, 2014 at 9:42 am

(Granted, not entirely germane to the topic at hand, and Vetrone comes up with interesting stuff sometimes.)

I actually don’t believe this year shows Brown’s “true colors”. You can slice the stats many ways, but he’s never been as bad as he is this year.

And I don’t think you can simply toss out a hot streak as an anomaly — it’s at least as much a part of who he is as this year is.

• Scotty Ingerton

June 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

So you’re saying that Brown has been a good player outside of those 42 games? He’s basically played an entire season since that run ended. He’s been one of the worst players in baseball since then.

• schmenkman

June 30, 2014 at 10:04 am

I don’t know how you got that from what I said.

36. Art

June 30, 2014 at 11:57 am

If a new driver got in an accident in 11 of the first 12 months they were on the road, would you say they are a good driver or a bad driver?

• schmenkman

June 30, 2014 at 12:12 pm

You would have to say that Mike Schmidt is a bad hitter. : )

37. teejayvee

July 1, 2014 at 6:14 am

It’s a miserable situation for Brown here. The fans are really killing him.
    He must love getting on the road
    I’m sure he’d love a fresh start somewhere else.