Gameday 54: Mets vs. Phillies – Phillies Nation
Posts

Gameday 54: Mets vs. Phillies

New York Mets (26-29) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (24-29)

Starting Pitchers:
NYM: Jon Niese (3-3, 2.74)
vs.
PHI: Cole Hamels (1-3, 4.43)

Time: 1:35, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Mostly Sunny, 73
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight: Maybe today won’t go 14 innings…

Lineup: Revere CF, Rollins SS, Byrd RF, Ruiz C, Howard 1B, Mayberry LF, Hernandez 2B, Brignac 3B, Hamels P.

1. Andrew from waldorf

June 1, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Need the Phils to win the last 2 to win my bet.

Luckily had a good day at the track last night.

It also kept me from sitting through the 5 hours yesterday.

After the 5 hours the night before.

These are some teams.

The Mets are celebrating Johan Santanas no hitter today.

Santana threw a career high 134 pitches that day and has won exactly 3 games since then.

Meet the mets.

Well then we have Ryan Howards inability to catch a pick off move or throw the ball to second.

Meet the Phillies.

2. lefty

June 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Looks like a gorgeous day there Tracey. Hope you have fun for 5 or 6 hours!

3. lefty

June 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Yesterday’s 5 hour game was fun Andrew. Not kidding, you missed a good one IMO.

4. lefty

June 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm

My brother the Mets fan has declared this series the fight for the cellar. He said that neither team is capable of winning a game in 9, so when you put them together these type of games are the result.

5. G7

June 1, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Congrats to Ryan Howard, the fastest player in history to 1,000 RBI’s..

• G7

June 1, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Check that, fastest active player to 1,000 RBI’s.

• schmenkman

June 1, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Right — 12th fastest in history (in number of games).

6. lefty

June 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Ryan Howard looks darn good this series so far. A lefty pitcher today too.

7. Andrew from waldorf

June 1, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I smell extra innings.

Tracey if you are there enjoy!

8. Andrew from waldorf

June 1, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I did not make this group but I did like it and its funny to me.

LOL

• lefty

June 1, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Suuuuuuuurre you didn’t.

9. lefty

June 1, 2014 at 4:23 pm

L.A. is crazy. A watermelon shirt lol

10. Andrew from waldorf

June 1, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Free baseball

I predict Phillies in 14

This series has lived up to my billing.

I knew when Abreau stole a base it was going to be a special series.

Need this game

Go phils!!!

11. lefty

June 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Aumont is back, uggghh

12. Andrew from waldorf

June 1, 2014 at 5:07 pm

the mets had a better record last year

They are a better team.

And they are one of the 5 wrst teams in baseball.

So that tells you where the Phillies are.

and somehow Amaro shows up for work tomorrow.

Pathetic.

13. Ken Bland

June 1, 2014 at 5:23 pm

“And they are one of the 5 wrst teams in baseball. ”

Andrew,

You gotta stop following this slop and putting your heart in it. Or at least the latter. It’s gonna drive you nuts. I feel bad for yta because as you said, and I felt similarly, the Monday matchup was the worst of all. But, who knows, maybe they win anyway.

But about the Mets being one of the worst 5, here’s a Fan Graphs piece from a couple days ago. It’s written in Pig Chinese, I mean Latin (sorry), but it oughta set off some Rube rants when you see the list of clubs, and who’s knock knock knockin on cellar’s door.

Please make it a point to use Rocky music selectively in the future. You showed Yo Adrian great disrespect by previewing this series with one of music history’s great selection.

Hope they win for you tomorrow. Dom Brown might be the dumbest player in baseball. And worst, Ben Revere is his strongest competition for that title.

14. wbramh

June 1, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Who were the 3 hot prospects we received from Seattle in return for Cliff Lee?
    Tyson Gillies, J. C. Ramírez and…?
    Oh yeah, never mind.

It’s all coming back, like a case of food poisoning.

15. Double Trouble Del

June 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I can’t even get upset anymore. I knew this game was in jeopardy the moment Aumont entered. He is a complete and utter disaster, a fitting reminder of the “haul” Amaro received in return for Cliff Lee. Someone please help but when was the last time a GM was fired mid-season and weeks before the draft?

• schmenkman

June 1, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Woody Woodward was fired in June 1988. I don’t know if it was before or after the draft.

• wbramh

June 1, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Woody was fired the week after the draft.

According to Giles, he actually liked a lot of Woodward’s ideas despite firing him after just 7 months on the job. Apparently, Woodward’s lack of communication with pretty much everyone was the motivation for Giles to fire him, culminating in Woodward not talking to the scouts during the draft and walking away to watch TV.

From Jason Stark’s column in the Inky on June 9th, 1988:

Here’s an excerpt:

“There were people who worked here who didn’t even know him,” one source said. “He just never made an effort.”

Another source said that perhaps the final straw came during last week’s

draft. Apparently, Woodward was supposed to spend the afternoon sitting in on the opening rounds and observing as Baumer, scouting director Jack Pastore and the Phillies’ chief scouts conducted the draft.

Instead, according to the source, Woodward spent only a half-hour in the room, failed even to say hello to the scouts, and then went back to his office to watch television.”

• Ken Bland

June 1, 2014 at 6:24 pm

It does seem horribly uncommon doesn’t it? I can only throw 2 answers with asterisks into the pot in absence of a legit answer. Kevin Towers, as recently as a month ago really might as well have been when LaRussa was named as CBO of the Dbacks. But the closest answer to a firm yes is the guy up in Toronto before Anthopolis who’s now with the Mets. It’s ridiculous that I can’t remember his name, but you know who I mean. Write long enough, and I’ll think of it.

The Jays were actually all set to send Halladay here mid season, but they didn’t want him to be the one to make the trade, so Doc didn’t come here until the following year (2010). So in essence, he was fired from baseball decisions.

Re the haul for Cliff, it’s a shame scouts choose to be quoted anonymously so often (hell, always). because I vividly recall 1 scout saying none of the 3 players Rube got would see the majors. Only a wise guy would point out that Aumont’s actually seen the bigs, and I guess technically Ramirez has.

Anyway, Rube’s not getting canned mid year.

JP Ricciardi

• Double Trouble Del

June 1, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Perhaps Amaro should try the same. Sit in for about 10 minutes and then go back to his office for some Nick Jr.

• wbramh

June 1, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Could be the answer – but I checked out AFW’s link to the Fire Amaro Facebook page. If Ruben is reading that stuff he’s probably more into Dr. Phil the Nick, Jr. these days.

16. teejayvee

June 1, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I went to the game today. I was shocked by how the place emptied out after the 9th. People just don’t care about them .

17. Scotty Ingerton

June 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm

The word is that the Phillies may be changing their draft philosophy this year – taking more advanced players rather than taking risks on high school kids that they think have the tools to succeed. Anything they do that is more “Cardinal like” is fine in my book. That organization has impact prospects making the big leagues year after year.

• wbramh

June 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm

It could be that the Cards have hit upon a safer and higher return but the Phils history seems a mixed bag. Schmidt, Utley and Howard were college kids – Howard drafted in the 5th round. Sandberg, Rollins and Hamels were all lured into signing directly out of high school. Sandberg was a 20th round choice, so a lot of organizations passed on him.

I suppose no matter the philosophy there’s nothing like having a smart bunch of scouts and player personnel guru running the show.

• Hogey's Role

June 1, 2014 at 8:50 pm

The majority of the time, the draft is a crap shoot… There are always can’t miss guys, guys like Griffey jr…. But more often than not sometimes you just get lucky

• Scotty Ingerton

June 2, 2014 at 6:41 am

Looking at how many players on the Cardinals 25 man roster are home grown, I think it’s more than just luck at work. They’re finding players early in the draft, and they’re finding players late in the draft – and they’ve been doing it over a sustained amount of time.

• Lefty

June 2, 2014 at 8:13 am

I think it’s a little of both. The Cardinals are good at what they do, but they’ve had their share of good luck too. IMO- No one could be that good, and if so, why are there 29 other teams that haven’t been as good in recent years. Just doesn’t seem possible without a little luck mixed in, and I’m guessing John Mozeliak would admit that.

There is no magic elixir, but I would agree that it seems the Phils rely on the “low pick” card too much, and really need to improve in this area. Ryne Sandberg himself was a low round pick, not that I’m saying they should be able to get someone like him, just improve a little, that’s all.

And while I like the idea that they are changing their philosophy some, I’d hate to see them take their eyes off the prize young athletes completely.

Scotty thanks for the link.

18. wbramh

June 1, 2014 at 10:15 pm

The odds are far worse than they are for the NFL and NBA and they’re not particularly good there, either – not even when colleges were still holding onto players beyond their Freshman year. Something like half of the first-rounders in the NFL are busts despite being pretty much everyone’s consensus choices. Last year’s first pick in the NFL was a bust and many others have gone the same route. Then some smart or lucky team turns up with a Richard Sherman in the 5th round or a Brady in the 6th. The Eagles all-time leading rusher was a 6th round pick and their all-time leader receiver was a 7th round pick. Seth Joyner and Clyde Simmons were 8th & 9th round picks, respectively. In other words, they would be relegated to un drafted walk-on status if they played today. Yeah, it’s a crap shoot alright, but then, some people are better gamblers than others. Instinct, perhaps.

19. Andrew from waldorf

June 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Seth and clyde benefited form Buddy Ryan and Reggie white!

Great to talk about a real sports team.

Tickets for tomorrow nights Phillies game now at 6 dollars.

When it gets to 2 dollars I am buying!

• wbramh

June 2, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I don’t think the current standings in MLB tell us much about each organization’s true value – or lack thereof. Too many teams have suffered early and devastating injuries and too many hopefuls are flat out underperforming – and a few, like the Marlins have been over-performing even without their ace and a payroll slightly higher than 1/4th that of the Phillies.

If you disregard bad fortunes and assume those injuries are spread across the board, it would appear that the majority of the currently competing teams are among the top 15 in payroll, but at least 4 of them are in the bottom 15 in payroll, most notably the As at #25 who have the best record in the American League and only the Giants have a better winning percentage at the moment. The Phillies payroll is 2.2 times higher than those sabermetrically magnificent castoffs in Oakland.

I would disregard the Phillies whose payroll: results ratio are for all practical purposes, in their own hapless category. Even discounting that extreme failure, the big spenders (top 10) have bought themselves little or nothing with the possible exceptions of the #7 Giants and #10 Jays – and the latter’s record isn’t as good as the #16 Brewers. Again, it’s too early to know how things will shake out in September. The $47 mil and hurting Marlins still have a better record than the $162 mil and relatively healthy Red Sox. I assume those numbers will change as the season wears on but I wouldn’t bet on the Sox to repeat – nor would I bet on the Yankees or Dodgers to show enough depth to overcome their injuries and go to the Big Dance.

I can more easily envision another Giants-As World Series – but this time minus the earthquake, we pray! The last time a team as overflowing with other teams’ rejects made it to the World Series was 1993. Even though Joe Carter burst our ultimate gonfalon bubble, it sure was a fun season. Imagine what a team with “Billy Ball” brains and a couple of Ryan Brauns could achieve (apparently, even without PEDs). It’s not my habit to root for an American League team but that matchup between purse and puck sure would tempt me.

• Lefty

June 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I loved that 93 team, despite what happened in the end with Joe C. They’ll always be winners to me.

• wbramh

June 2, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Poor Mitch had a 10 mph fast ball left in his overused arm by the time he throw that fateful pitch.

Worst to first with a 26 win differential.
        The worst to first Miracle Mets had a differential of 27 wins – not much different.
        And that ’93 team was filled with wonderfully scruffy, “lunch pail” characters.
        Knocked off a Braves team chock full of talent (especially starting pitching) and actually played damn tough against the Jays. I went to every playoff and Series game at home. The 15-14 loss was the craziest game I’ve ever been to – maybe the craziest I’ve ever watched. And the shutout Schilling pitched the next day was almost as crazy in its contrast.

• Lefty

June 2, 2014 at 4:05 pm

That may be the craziest game ever played. I can’t remember for sure but wasn’t that the game Schilling was so nervous that he couldn’t even watch, so he put a towel over his head?

• wbramh

June 2, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Schilling pulled that towel routine every time Mitch closed a game but received his desired TV limelight for the stunt during that series. Mitch wanted to strangle him as did quite a few of his teammates. Mitch was a definitely a roller coaster ride but he also saved all 12 of his save appearances behind Schilling – 12 of Schilling’s 16 wins that season, so yeah, it was pretty damned rude of Curt. And Curt, along with the slug Dyktsra decided to place all the blame for their Series loss on Williams. The fact is, Schilling lost game #1 all by himself. Williams saved game #2 and while Williams took the loss in game #4, no less than 11 pitchers got knocked around in that insane game. Mitch also had 43 successful saves that year to 6 blown. Mitch also saved the first game of the LCS for Schilling, saved game #4, won game #5 then saved game #6. Not a bad job for a guy whose arm was about to fall off from the abuse.

Schilling was given the ignominious inclusion by GQ Magazine as one of the 10 most hated players in baseball. Ed Wade once said of him, “(Schilling’s) a horse every 5th day and a horse’s ass the other 4.” Fregosi dubbed him “Red Light Curt” because he always posed for cameras, even on the dugout steps – and with or without his Williams towel. Referring to Schilling’s infamous selfishness, an SI described Schilling as, “The ultimate table for one.” I love that description. Apparently, his selfishness extended to the petty, including the nasty habit of leaving the dugout before the conclusion of games just to be first in line at the food table.

But what a pitcher! Among my strongest memories of that playoff season were Schilling striking out the first 5 Braves’ batters in game #1 of the LCS and marveling over the Paul Molitor’s beautiful swing and phenomenal wrist speed.

• wbramh

June 2, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Excuse the poorly edited language but I’m sure it was still reasonably understandable.

• lefty

June 2, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Excuse accepted. I guess from here in Baltimore we didn’t get the inside story on Schilling as you’ve described. I honestly didn’t know all of that about him.