Gameday 60: Phillies at Reds – Phillies Nation
2014 Gameday

Gameday 60: Phillies at Reds

phillies

other

Philadelphia Phillies (25-35) vs. Cincinnati Reds (28-32)

Starting Pitchers:
PHI: David Buchanan (1-2, 6.11)
vs.
CIN: Homer Bailey (6-3, 4.99)

Time: 1:10, Great American Ballpark
TV: CSN
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 73
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight: The Phillies usually beat up on Homer Bailey.  In his career against Philadelphia, Bailey is 0-4 with a 4.41 ERA in 51 innings.  Buchanan is coming off a bad start against the Nationals when he allowed seven runs.  The rookie needs to show that he can rebound.

Ken Giles is up and wearing #53. Good luck to the newest flame-throwing Phillie.

Lineup: Revere CF / Rollins SS / Utley 2B / Howard 1B / Byrd RF / Brown LF / Ruiz C / Hernandez 3B / Buchanan P

1. lefty

June 8, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I don’t know whether Buchanan has the stuff to make in the bigs, but my first impression after watching a few innings is that I like him. He seems calm, focused, and poised.

2. lefty

June 8, 2014 at 2:08 pm

McKannin!!!!!! Ughhhhhhh

3. lefty

June 8, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Seriously this has to stop.

4. Mike in NJ

June 8, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Only reason I’m still watching at 4-1 is to see if Giles comes in

5. Bart Shart

June 8, 2014 at 3:30 pm

REALLY BORING, and REALLY, REALLY STINK. whew !!!!!

6. Double Trouble Del

June 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm

This team because if it’s ridiculous payroll and horrendous results is the official laughing stock of MLB.

7. Double Trouble Del

June 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm

How does he keep his job?

8. Carlos

June 8, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Can this get any worse?

June 8, 2014 at 6:50 pm

They now have the second worst record in Baseball. I don’t think there is any question whether or not this team will be sellers this season.
    – If they don’t win it’s a shame.

10. Ken Bland

June 8, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Chooch post game after 2 of 3 drop to the Reds….

“The key to turn it around is everybody has to have the same mentality,” Carlos Ruiz said. “Not one, two or three guys. And, as a team, we have to stay together and we have to believe we can turn around everything.”

The catcher implied the bond among these moribund Phillies is not strong. Is that true?
    “I know that everybody tries to to do their best,” Ruiz said.

*********************************************************************************************************

The other night, wandering around the site, I ran across this pic of a girl named Rose, cover girl for this Asian dating site sponsor. I see her pic is visible again, out of which I can only conclude it wasn’t just 1 good day she had.

But I’m fascinated by this Carlos Ruiz quote that came out of the post game today. And I don’t mean to pick on him, or overplay the meaning…I mean what the FRIG are you supposed to say at this point, but right or wrong, the quote rubs me the wrong way.

See when the season was 7 or so games old, Ryan Howard made some comments that created a tizzy, implytng the club was playing very well early on. That early, you don’t panic. I viewed that as an attempt at leadership. Theoretically, the Phils could have gone 1 of 2 ways at that point. Fair to middlin, or yuck. Now, we’re 60 games in, and it’s pretty obvious this club is as much a lost cause as worst off season fears expressed. But here’s Chooch tioday trying to sell whoever some swamp land in Florida. I match this verbiage against the time worn audio drop Jim Healy used for years of Charles Barkley, who told it like it was that simply said, “We got a bad team, man, we got a bad bleepin’ team.”

Not that Larry Bowa’s assessment the other day thrilled me with his moment of candor. But from an angle of taking Chooch’s words seriously, it’s as much noinsense as the baseball on the field.

Other than that, I’m a strong believer in Jim Valvano’s, “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.”
    Just seems a time and a place for optimism, and a time and place for a reality check.