Gameday 68: Phillies at Braves

Philadelphia Phillies (29-38) at Atlanta Braves (36-32)

Starting Pitchers:
PHI: Cole Hamels (2-3, 3.07)
ATL: Julio Teheran (6-4, 2.41)

Time: 7:10 at Turner Field
Weather: Cloudy, 84
Media: Twitter and Facebook

After losing a series to one of the worst teams in the National League, the Phillies head to Atlanta to take on the first-place Braves.  Luckily, the Phillies have a hot hand in Cole Hamels on the hill tonight.  Hamels has a 1.78 ERA in his last seven starts, resulting in an ERA drop from 4.43 to 3.07. Hamels is coming off a 7+ inning shutout.  He’ll be opposed by Julio Teheran, who is off to a fantastic start this season.

Lineup: Revere CF / Rollins SS / Utley 2B / Howard 1B/ Byrd RF/ Brown LF / Ruiz C / Brignac 3B / Hamels P

1. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm

2. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I was about to say: the Phils have a history of playing down to their opposition, and they played like crap against the miserable Cubs, so maybe we’ll see something good against the Braves. And there’s Howard, hitting an HR in his first at bat against a great pitcher!

• schmenkman

June 16, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I honestly don’t know if that’s really a thing (playing better than expected vs. the good teams, and worse than expected vs. the bad teams). Obviously that will always happen some, just by the normal variability, but I don’t know that it’s more than that. And I don’t know that anyone has studied it, I’m just not convinced it’s real.

3. Hogey's Role

June 16, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Aaron altherr was called up, and will be here for a few games, wonder if we’ll see him in a game or not

• Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Not in a tight one like this, I hope!

4. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Whew! Cole had me a little nervous there.

He’s looking kind of overheated. I hope he hydrated enough.. Halladay used to make that mistake a lot.

• schmenkman

June 16, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Did Halladay or someone with the team really say he didn’t hydrate enough? I didn’t think that was the issue.

• Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm

There were a few games were Halladay got mild heat exhaustion and had to be pulled very early. Failure to sufficiently hydrate is what causes that. I speak from personal experience. I remember seeing the redness in Halladay’s face and I recognized it long before they pulled him out. And once you get red like that, it’s really too late to start hydrating.

Hamels doesn’t look that bad, but he’s definitely running hot.

• schmenkman

June 16, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I know that’s one thing that certainly causes that, but I thought Halladay had a medical issue. He’s been an athlete forever and with how much he controlled everything about his training and body, he’s one of the last I would expect to not hydrate sufficiently.

5. Mike in NJ

June 16, 2014 at 9:00 pm

3 hits yesterday, 3 hits today…at least they’re consistent!

6. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm

uh oh…

7. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 9:09 pm

OH BABY!!!! I did not think they were going to get out of that tight spot!

8. lefty

June 16, 2014 at 9:10 pm

The great escape, whew!

9. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Oh, come on! Hamels pitched a beautiful game! Don’t blow I for him!!!

10. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

whew! my heart can’t take this excitement

11. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Look how empty that stadium is in a close game with a division-leading team. And that Emory (GA) study said that Phillies fans aren’t good fans?

12. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Oh, Crapelbum, if you blow this one, I hope Hamels decks you.

13. "Big Ed" Delahanty

June 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Cannot believe there is not an article about Tony Gwynn Sr passing at PN.
    Rest in peace, Tony. My thoughts and prayers to the Gwynn family.

• photoFred

June 17, 2014 at 10:27 am

He was the best hitter I ever saw. And—never met him but everyone says so—the nicest guy in the world.

Very sad news. go watch Olbermann’s tribute.

• Ken Blsnd

June 17, 2014 at 1:59 pm

yo Fred,

you said Tony Gwynn was the best hitter you ever saw.

Now we all know how emotional one can get over a tremendous loss, so the statement’s no crime.

But after you take a step back, and think about it, would you stand by that statement. I’m not necessarily saying he isn’t. He was truly great. But that overlooks several great, great hitters. At least off the top of my head, I’d be more inclined to give the title to the guy that combined average and power. m You know, the Mays, Cabrera, Pujols sort, part of a reasonably guessed list of 20 to choose from.

I’m particularly sorry that Tony Gwynn won’t be past of HOF weekend, only a few weeks away now. He always came up with terrific Maddux references and stories, and I’m certain he’d have been extremely quotable and fun to hear from.

Kind of ironic to find Gwynn and Pete Rose sharing sports news attention the last day or so. Quite opposite life stories.

• photoFred

June 17, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Okay—maybe I was caught up in the moment just a bit. And I’m old enough to have seen Mays and Williams. Thinking about it though, the guy I most feared when he walked to the plate with runners on was Henry Aaron.

Tony Gwynn didn’t have fearsome power, but now, as I look back at all his numbers, he really was the best of his generation.

• Ken Blsnd

June 17, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Aaron would be a good choice, one you could separate from the bunch. When they’re that good, it’s by a hair.

It’s always fun to watch the shows put on by the likes of Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, George Brett. It’d be a kick and a half to see a guy actually hit .400 before our fanship ends. Doubtful, but fun.

Gwynn, like Mays, or Aaron would have been a terrific role model to watch age That’s a definite deprivation.

Good discussion. Thanks.

Most dangerous hitter I ever saw was McCovey. I don’t even know exactly why. Imposing.

• photoFred

June 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm

McCovey is good! And Pops. The big guys who not just swing hard but also connect are scary. There was a time when Ryan Howard was just like that…

14. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:11 pm

• schmenkman

June 16, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Two bloops and a bleeder — tough to blame him.

• wbramh

June 16, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Agree. I think Papelbon actually pitched a reasonably decent inning. He can’t blow people away on 9 pitches but his mistakes were not the ones that did him him. Just bad luck.

• Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:16 pm

He’s a closer who always makes everything a close call, and then blames everybody except himself.

15. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

So now Hamels, who pitched 7 masterful innings, gets a no-decision. If we’re lucky, we’ll get extra innings.

16. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:32 pm

17. Mike in NJ

June 16, 2014 at 10:35 pm

What’s in going to take for Brown to see some bench time? He’s totally lost at the plate and on the field…

• Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Yeah, I thought that batter was going to round the bases before Dom figured out it WASN’T a HR.

18. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:40 pm

whew!!! You think we’ll get another 14th inning stretch out of this one?

19. Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Go JRoll! Keep padding that record!

20. Andrew from waldorf

June 16, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Free baseball!

The Phillies always seem to drag other teams to their level.

• Tracey

June 16, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I see it the opposite way. The Phillies are playing much better ball tonight against the Braves than they did against the Cubs.

21. Andrew from waldorf

June 16, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Winner winner

Chicken dinner

Another one for the time capsule at cooperstown.

Tied with the Mets again.

What a team!

22. Andrew from waldorf

June 17, 2014 at 12:06 am

The Phillies are only 5.5 out of first LOL

Did I really have people saying this is not the worst division in baseball?

Its a joke.

The Nationals have big problems.
    I know I live here.

Now they still win the division because its a terrible division.

But they are nothing special.

• Chuck A.

June 17, 2014 at 12:20 am

And being only 5.5 out, Ruben is going into “buy” mode.

• Ryne Duren

June 17, 2014 at 9:52 am

Chuck chances are, if Ruben bought a car? It would be a refurbished antique That ran well sporadically. But he’d pay as if it was brand new and in top condition. Just a passing thought. Can’t help myself sometimes.

• schmenkman

June 17, 2014 at 12:28 am

The East doesn’t have any very good teams, but overall it also has the best combined run differential of the three NL divisions.

• Ken Blsnd

June 17, 2014 at 1:46 pm

“The Nationals have big problems. I know I live here.”

A fascinating qualifier.

Though confusing.

You live in Nats territory, so are therefore qualified to say they have big problems.

So I can only assume that you don’t live in Philly, and thus don’t have no idea what you speaketh of regarding the Phils.

Had me fooled completely. I thought you were doing pretty good on the Phils. Maybe it’s outsider’s luck.

The East is The Beast.

Best division in baseball history.