Transactions

Phillies Add Catcher Raywilly Gomez

Gomez

In what appears to be the final move in a series of roster changes predicated by this weekend’s doubleheader, the Phillies traded the recently designated for assignment Ronny Cedeno to Arizona for minor league catcher Raywilly Gomez.

Gomez, 24, is a career .286/.369/.367 hitter across seven minor league seasons and has been assigned to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. Gomez could factor into the ‘Pigs plans, at least temporarily, as both Cameron Rupp and Koyie Hill are with the Major League club.

If you are following along at home, Cedeno was designated for assignment to create a roster spot for starter Sean O’Sullivan, who was then designated for assignment this weekend to create a roster spot for Andres Blanco. This trade looks to be a small win for the Phillies as Gomez profiles as a Major League back-up.

1. Joefa

June 30, 2014 at 10:10 am

I’d have preferred it if they picked up Ray Wylie Hubbard.

2. Hogey's Role

June 30, 2014 at 11:01 am

Interesting move, he does have good looking stats, although the majority are low a ball… I look forward to seeing what he can do at triple a

June 30, 2014 at 11:57 am

Maybe they are not hopeful Ruiz will return in 7 days?

4. Scotty Ingerton

June 30, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Raywilly may be the coolest name in the organization right now.

I consider David Murphy to be the best baseball writer in the city right now:

5. c. schreiber

June 30, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Can’t believe we got something for that piece of crap and here I thought we couldn’t even get an old jockstrap. Steal. Now if we can get something for Hill, another career nothing.

6. Bruce

June 30, 2014 at 12:52 pm

This past weekend saw the Phillies wasted one opportunity after another to capitalize with runners in scoring position and turn the momentum in their favor. Instead, the end result is 3 for 32 with RISP for the entire series. For me, that sums up their season with their ongoing struggles with the offense. How else one can explain why they are 18-27 in their home ballpark that has a reputation as “hitter-friendly”?

I guess I have been one of the very few holdouts as an optimist on this site. I said to myself repeatedly to wait and see till at least the halfway mark of the season for signs of sustained momentum in winning games in a winnable division. I had hope In getting Cliff Lee, Darin Ruf and Carlos Ruiz back from the DL and a young but improved bullpen to carry forward to the second half could provide a needed spark for the momentum.

However, reluctantly, my optimism is no longer there for me when I see the very real probability of GM Amaro Jr. being on the phones calling other team’s front offices and offering a “fire” sale especially after the diastrous weekend. I can envision Byrd and Lee as likely players to go for prospects. That’s very sad. The “dog days of summer” is already here.

7. Scott Landis

June 30, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Did I miss the part about who the trade was with?

• Hogey's Role