Phillies Come Alive in Win over Marlins

David Buchanan held up through five innings and the Phillies offense came to life in the 7-4 win over the Miami Marlins on Tuesday night.

-Buchanan went five and got the win, although he walked four batters and was pulled after 94 pitches. But you’ll take that from a fifth starter just filling in for Cliff Lee.

-BJ Rosenberg, not good at filling in. He gave up a two run homer in the eighth inning.

-Ken Giles is very good at filling in. He had another scoreless inning and struck out Giancarlo Stanton with a 99 mph fastball in the seventh.

-One bright spot is, of course, Giancarlo Stanton. I was selfishly  hoping he would hit one onto Ashburn Alley tonight because he’s got such incredible power, as we’ve seen before. He did go yard, but did finish 3 for 5. Stanton is hitting .308 with a .592 slugging percentage. Manly.

-Marlon Byrd hit an absolute laser to center field just to the right of the 409 sign for his 13th home run of the season.

-Cody Asche went 1 for 4 but did damage with his only hit, a two-run double. What exactly is Asche? Can he be a solid offensive player? Will he stick at third? So many questions about him, but right now the bat works.

-Amazing moment in the bottom of the eighth when Tony Gwynn Jr. stepped to the plate. The Phillies fans gave him a standing ovation to show their respects to Gwynn’s Hall of Fame father, Tony Sr., who passed away last week. Love moments like that. Props to the Phillies fans.

-It was another long one: 3:15 to be exact. Not many quick games with this team anymore, unfortunately.

1. Andrew from waldorf

June 24, 2014 at 10:28 pm

winner winner
    chicken dinner!

Making my reservations for the world series parade again.

Keep fightin!

• Phil

June 25, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I’m a Phillies fan, Andrew. Don’t waste your money on Phillies WS tickets.

2. lefty

June 24, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I guess that it’s a good thing the bats come alive when a guy like Buchanan is pitching, but it seems a shame that so often they don’t for Cole Hamels. Can’t have it all I guess, I’ll take every W we can get.

3. Chuck A.

June 24, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Rosenberg is a stiff. A guy like that doesn’t need to be dragging down the rest of the pen which has been very good as of late. I guess he’s a good AAA-AAAA type of pitcher and that’s about it.

4. Byrd Turd

June 24, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Wish we kept Moss and shipped out Howard.

• Andrew from waldorf

June 24, 2014 at 11:59 pm

You have a master lock on the obvious!

I also wish the Phillies had never made Amaro the GM.

Nationals are tied in the 12th

• Phil

June 25, 2014 at 1:46 pm

No team wants Howard.

5. BeyondInfinity

June 25, 2014 at 2:58 am

if the Phillies keep performing like they do all year and Giles keeps performing like he does isnt it a lock that papelbon will he traded or am I just being to optimistic about his value? Cause it seems to me that Giles could totally close those games out right now

• crow

June 25, 2014 at 8:48 am

Giles is a lot of fun to watch, isn’t he? It’s remarkable that during the off season he was regularly portrayed as a guy who could throw 100 mph but was really raw and lacked a secondary pitch. Watch him now and that slider is an absolute killer that looks like a finished pitch.

6. PaMikeyDC

June 25, 2014 at 7:56 am

You were kidding when you said u wished that Stanton would go yard right?

7. PaMikeyDC

June 25, 2014 at 7:58 am

Cody finished 2-4 (not 1-4).

• PaMikeyDC

June 25, 2014 at 8:07 am

I’ll shut up- sorry, I was wrong and it was 2 rbis and not 2 hits. My apologies

8. bacardipr05

June 25, 2014 at 7:59 am

I have to guess that if they fall out of contention they will ship Papelbon. They probably get fleeced in the deal and it might not bring much of salary relief or a prospect. Adams value is near zero. Cliff Lee value is slowly plummeting. Not looking so good as far as getting anything of value in trades.

• schmenkman

June 25, 2014 at 8:14 am

I like the positive thinking, at least. : )

• crow

June 25, 2014 at 8:55 am

Every time Cliff mentions that thingy in his elbow that doesn’t hurt but just “feels different,” Amaro must cringe.

9. Mike in NJ

June 25, 2014 at 8:59 am

Maybe Cliff doesn’t want to be traded, and he’s intentionally sabotaging his trade value lol.

10. Mike in NJ

June 25, 2014 at 9:00 am

Eh Phils got a bunch of gift runs yesterday. I’ll take the win, but they didn’t exactly play a great game.

WTF is wrong with Chase? I hope Sandberg gives him a couple days off to recharge his batteries.

• schmenkman

June 25, 2014 at 9:16 am

The Marlins merely re-gifted the runs the Phillies gave them on Monday night.

• Phil

June 25, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Chase is losing his AS chances. I’m a Phillies fan, but I won’t vote for him.

• schmenkman

June 25, 2014 at 2:07 pm

So let me get this straight:

He’s a Phillie.
        He’s one of the best players in MLB over the past decade.
        He’s one of the greatest players in the history of the team you support.

But maybe you want to be completely objective, as if you weren’t a fan, and dismiss all of that. There’s still this:

He’s had the best season of any NL second baseman to date, even with his recent slump.

And yet you won’t vote for him.

I don’t get it.

11. crow

June 25, 2014 at 10:50 am

Tried without success to find a stat on double-steal combinations, but I wonder if any current duo has executed more double-steals than Utley and Rollins?