Minor Leagues

Phillies release former top pick Hewitt

Anthony Hewitt with Lakewood in 2001, Image- Jay Floyd

Six years after he was their top draft selection, the Phillies have finally pulled the trigger and cut disappointing outfielder Anthony Hewitt.

Hewitt had struggled mightily in his pro career, but looked outmatched this season with Double-A Reading where he posted a .140 batting average in 34 games before a recent demotion to Class A Advanced Clearwater. In eight games since the move, the 25-year-old went 4-for-31 (.129 avg). He walked only once this season.

Hewitt, who signed for over $1 million in 2008, batted .223 with a .634 OPS in six years since he was drafted 24th overall by the Phillies.

It was time to cut their losses and the Phillies did just that.

In an exclusive interview with PhoulBallz.com last month, Hewitt was not discouraged and, in fact, was very optimistic, asserting that his output would turn around.

“It’s a game of failure,” Hewitt stated. “Just, right now, no hits are falling. No luck’s turning my way, but I’m sure that tomorrow, today, whenever it’s gonna happen, good luck’s gonna fall my way, hits are gonna start falling my way. Everything comes in bunches and I can wait till the bunches start coming my way.”

The offense might bounce back for Hewitt, but, when it does, it won’t be in the Phillies organization.

1. bacardipr05

June 12, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I was looking at the Phils minor league roster just a few minutes before this article was posted. Saw that he was hitting .129 and wondered….

2. Robotnik

June 12, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Can Larry Greene be far behind?

• Hogey's Role

June 12, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I highly doubt it

• schmenkman

June 12, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Judging by Hewitt, I would guess Larry Greene will get about 4 more years. And he should get that much time to try to figure it out, as long as he’s not blocking true prospects.

3. Double Trouble Del

June 12, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I think Greene is hurt and I’m not sure about releasing him while on the disabled list.

4. DavidE

June 12, 2014 at 9:09 pm

His best year was last year and he wasn’t that spectacular at Reading. I think the Phillies drafted him because he had both speed and power. He has stolen a lot of bases in the minors. After six years, he never had an OBP greater than .296. They gave him the opportunity but it just didn’t work.