2014 Game Recaps

Rollins Ties Record, Phillies Lose to Cubs

Jimmy Rollins tied Mike Schmidt on the Phillies all-time hit list, but the effort was not enough as the Cubs shut down the Phillies, 2-1. It is already the 9th time the Phillies have been shutout this season.

-Roberto Hernandez was hanging in there, as he usually tries to do every fifth day. His evening was cut short by home plate umpire Mark Ripperger after plunking Starlin Castro in the sixth inning. Castro homered earlier in the evening, so Ripperger decided it was time for a quick hook. From Hernandez’s reaction, it certainly didn’t seem intentional. Ryne Sandberg took exception, he too was shown the door.

-Hernandez went 5 2/3 innings, allowing two runs while striking out five. However, the Cubs aren’t very good.

-Antonio Bastardo was outstanding in two innings of work. For much of this season, walks have killed Bastardo, but recently he’s curbed that issue. Tonight he allowed no walks, no hits, and struck out three Cubs on just 21 pitches.

-Offensively, nothing really to celebrate other than Jimmy Rollins. He tied Mike Schmidt on the Phillies all-time list hit list, doubling down the right field line in the ninth inning.

The fans gave J-Roll a roaring round of applause when the big screen showed the accomplishment. Deservedly so.

-Dom Brown knocked in the only run in the game, in the ninth, his 32nd RBI of the season.

1. hedda lee

June 13, 2014 at 10:16 pm

The Phils are so bad, that they can score a run and STILL get shut out.

( instantrimshot.com )

2. Tracey

June 13, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Hee hee.

3. Glutenous

June 14, 2014 at 12:12 am

A while ago, on this very board, I said that I did not think the Phillies would win more than 3 in a row at any point in this season. Once again, they have fallen short of that elusive 4th straight win. It doesn’t make me happy that the team is bad, but it does make me feel sort of good about my *ehem* analysis. Then, I remembered that it you don’t have to be Jayson Stark to realize the Phillies aren’t very good. Just a week or so ago, I was watching one of the games against the Mets. My sister had my nieces over, and the oldest one (6) said to me that the red team really stinks. I said, “The red team is the Phillies.” She said, “I thought the Phillies were good!”. I said, “They used to be…they used to be”.

4. bacardipr05

June 14, 2014 at 1:12 am

Even bad teams can occasionally put up a 4 win streak.

• wbramh

June 14, 2014 at 2:22 am

Watch. They’ll come back and sweep 4 from the Cards in St. Louis next week than come home and lose 8 in a row to the Marlins and Braves.

5. Scotty Ingerton

June 14, 2014 at 5:18 am

Wow, five hits for Gregory Polanco last night! The Pirates’ Marte-McCutchen-Polanco outfield is going to be one of the best in the league.

6. c. schreiber

June 14, 2014 at 3:08 pm

It already is #1.

7. Tracey

June 14, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I’ve been reading up on that ejection. Apparently, everybody except that dumbass minor league umpire knew the HBP was NOT intentional. Hernandez knew it. Sandberg knew it. Castro (the batter) knew it (they’re good friends back home in DR). Renteria (Cubs manager) knew it. Only the umpire didn’t know it.

I think they need to start drug testing the umps, because he was clearly smoking something last night.