“Unhappy” Biddle Placed on Leave by Phillies

File this under not good. Jesse Biddle has left the Reading Fightins and spoke to the Reading Eagle about his unhappiness.

“I’m struggling with a lot of stuff. I’m miserable out there. I’m very unhappy. And I don’t know why. There’s really no answer right now.

Nothing feels fluid on the mound, nothing feels natural, nothing feels right. Everything feels out of sync. I just want to pitch, but at the same time there’s a lot of stuff going on in between my ears that I can’t really understand. I have never felt this way before in my entire life, in my entire career.”

That sounds like a young man who is dealing with the trials and tribulations associated with failure. But it also could be something more. It’s sad, and it certainly hurts the Phillies as they have little to no top-tier pitching depth in the organization. Above all, hopefully Biddle finds the help he needs.

Clearly his numbers have suffered with Reading this year. In 15 starts, Biddle is 3-9 with a 5.03 ERA. On Monday, he allowed 10 runs in just three innings of work.

1. lefty

June 26, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Filed. Don’t know what to make of that, hope he’ll be okay.

2. Joefa

June 26, 2014 at 9:56 pm

File it under a 1st rd pick who might likely never take the mound for the big league team. Looks like another nail in the coffin.

• Double Trouble Del

June 26, 2014 at 10:28 pm

What evidence do you have to make that statement?

• nwrobinson

June 27, 2014 at 9:54 am

the article is pretty solid evidence…

• schmenkman

June 27, 2014 at 10:16 am

Waaaay premature to call this evidence of anything, or predict that he can’t work through it. Let’s see how he’s doing in 5 or 6 years.

3. Robert Brodbeck

June 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Sounds like a man who needs to put his life in order.. He has shown signs of a great athlete. It is sad. There are times in all if our lives, that we come to a crossroad.. It seems like, right now, he needs to find his path… I hope he does.. and I hope he chooses the right one for him, no matter what it is… Hopefully, it’s what he is meant to do.. Pitch for the Phils.

4. Dykstra's Chaw

June 26, 2014 at 10:45 pm

All of a sudden the name Pat Combs popped in my head. Anyone remember him? Played for Team USA, 1st round draft pick, never lived up to the hype on the mound.

• dickiethonfan

June 26, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Yes. His baseball cards were never worth shit

5. Brian Michael

June 26, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Why was he left in to give up 10 runs? It doesn’t sounds like the manager was helping his confidence.

6. dickiethonfan

June 26, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I would love to quit my corporate job and give up 10 runs in 3 innings.

7. Scotty Ingerton

June 26, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I hope he’s OK, but it doesn’t sound promising. Some ex-Phils pitchers are doing well though. This afternoon Jarred Cosart picked up his eighth win for Houston and Vance Worley picked up his second win (with an ERA under 2.00) since the Pirates called him up. Also, our old friend Trevor May was named to the Futures Game U.S. Team yesterday (it may be a little too soon to definitively state that the Phils got the better end of the Ben Revere trade).

8. bacardipr05

June 27, 2014 at 1:04 am

He needs to be around family and close friends. This will often help these situations.

9. Chenier's lost kidney

June 27, 2014 at 2:42 am

Who hasn’t felt like this at one time or another?? I’d venture to say most of us have, it just wasn’t reported by the media. I hope he finds peace.

10. Hoot Gibson

June 27, 2014 at 2:47 am

Nobody expected it to be easy Jess, the grind may be a problem.Keep your faith in the Good Lord.Ask Him to help you focus and to allow you to use your God given talent.Don’t give up on yourself.Just keep the faith and work hard, keep the faith, when he feels its time everything will start clicking for you.Delete negative thoughts, The Good Lord will let you know when your ready to kick butt again.Your God given talent will take over.Take care , no negative thoughts, Stay close to the Lord, if you just talk to him He will listen to you…………just talk!

11. Matt Mondzelewski

June 27, 2014 at 10:02 am

Cuz he’s never dealt with adversity like this ever probably. Overcoming it is what makes you a better professional. Call Ryan Voglesong

12. George

June 27, 2014 at 11:00 am

There have been many, many excellent players who were discouraged early on, almost to the point of quiting. A few are even Hall of Famers. Biddle’s mental issues seem to me indicative of a need for a break, something which Phils’ management has wisely given him.

Calling him a bust is way premature. And comparing him to Pat Combs is unfair. Combs was a cocky and arrogant kid whose issues weren’t so much due to a lack of confidence, but more because of having too much confidence (and not enough command).

• Lefty

June 27, 2014 at 12:14 pm

See; Halladay, Roy

Maybe someone can find Mel Queen to help him.

13. Graeme Nixon

June 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Sounds like Rick Ankiel story, just happening much earlier.

• schmenkman

June 27, 2014 at 2:32 pm

That’s quite a stretch, IMO.

14. Phlygrl

June 27, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Hope the Phillies get him help if he needs it. Don’t let this story have a bad outcome. Take care of your players when they need help.