2014 Gameday

Gameday 106: Phillies at Mets

phillies other

Philadelphia Phillies (46-59) at New York Mets (50-55)

Starting Pitchers:
NYM: Bartolo Colon (9-8, 4.03 ERA)
PHI: A.J. Burnett (6-9, 3.86 ERA)

Time: 7:10, Citi Field
Weather: 74, Partly cloudy with a chance of rain
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight:

This is the week where clubhouse chemistry is pushed to the limit. Guys on both sides of the diamond are wondering if they’ll be in a different uniform before the game is over. The Phillies did already make one roster move today. They released Tony Gwynn, Jr. after he was designated for assignment last Monday. Ryan Howard is back in the lineup after yesterday’s short term bounce-back game; while Chase Utley has the night off.

The Mets are back home in Queens after a 5-5 road trip coming out of the All-Star Break. Since 2012, the Phillies are 14-8 at Citi Field.

Lineup:  Revere CF / Rollins SS / Byrd RF / Howard 1B / Brown LF / Ruiz C / Asche 3B / Brignac 2B / Burnett P

1. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Bleh., Mets draw first blood…

2. Double Trouble Del

July 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Another one that will be here after the deadline.

3. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Ugh. You know, I used to joke that I needed to be to the game before the first pitch so the Phils were still in the game…

4. Travis dontknow

July 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm

4-0 already, Goodnight

• Ken Bland

July 28, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Pleasant dreams. Don’t let the bed bugs bite.

Here’s some maybe good ews, check that….potential good news hijacked from a 3rd party handoff in the twitter world.

Scouts tells me every team should be “in” on Rusney Castillo. The questions: 1. If a team gets picked for private workout 2. Can afford him.

Well, the Phils do have a private workout scheduled (so I thought I read at least) and the an afford him. Rube’s battng average on trades is .320, and Monty’s Law has that 20 points above trading title stadards. So Rube can stayin aggressive mode.

So it’s a start..

I should offer my all important view on these game day articles which have been an extremely hot topic around here. Many have complained about the wrong game count, lack of articles, etc.

All I know is when a game day article includes an absolutely classic line like “Ryan Howard is back in the lineup after yesterday’s short term bounce-back game,” it makes up for an awful lot. That is classic. It’s so old school Philadalphia, it redefines the character of old school Philadelphia. What a SHOT!

• Hogey's Role

July 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I am glad to hear that the phils are holding a workout with Castillo, I was worried that we wouldn’t get in on him at all but it’s refreshing to hear that we are holding a private workout for him…

I’ll wait to see what will transpire however…

5. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

6. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 8:43 pm

This just keeps getting uglier…

July 28, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Well at least Chooch is having a good night.

8. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 9:33 pm

No shutout!!! Woo hoo!!!

July 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm

“From what I hear, if there is one (a trade) it will be late in the process.” Ryne Sandberg

• Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

It’s already late in the process

• Lefty

July 28, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I took that to mean maybe late August before the waiver deadline.

• Lefty

July 28, 2014 at 9:45 pm

But who knows, right?

• Double Trouble Del

July 28, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Those August deals are typically salary dumps.

July 28, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Guess there had to be a reason two different teams traded former Cy Young winners for D’arnaud. Cant put that on Aumont, he’s hitting all pitchers right now.

July 28, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Gotta look it up, but I think The big Red Sox, Dodgers trade happened in August.

12. BROOKS

July 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I am pretty sure I understand why Aumont and his 18.00 ERA were brought back to the pros and frankly, it makes a lot of sense if you look at it objectively – when everybody sees just how inept Aumont is, they tend to not get so down on themselves. A feeling of confidence like “I thought I was bad, look at this stinker…”
    Of course, the psyc behind it has not worked yet but it seemed like it would be catchy.

13. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 9:55 pm

interesting hit for Revere…

14. BROOKS

July 28, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Has anyone been listening to the broadcast tonight? I was not but was curious, after the first inning was it announced that Burnett had settled down? This announcement always makes me laugh, as if we were to believe if the Phils could score some runs now, the starting pitcher (usually its KK in to fit this descriptor) would hold the competition.. funny, real kool aide.

15. BROOKS

July 28, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Strike out? Ground out or fly out?

16. c. schreiber

July 28, 2014 at 10:05 pm

17. c. schreiber

July 28, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I,m right again>>

18. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 10:06 pm

our pain du jour has ended.

July 28, 2014 at 10:06 pm

20. Tracey

July 28, 2014 at 10:07 pm

@Brooks: Yeah, it always makes me scratch my head hen the announcers try to get optimistic.

21. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 28, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Glad I watched this stinker! Our new team motto should be:
    “Phillies baseball – redefining FUGLY!”

22. bacardipr05

July 28, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Why hasnt Amaro traded Burnett by now ?

• Double Trouble Del

July 28, 2014 at 10:37 pm

He is still apparently suffering from his hernia and also according to mlbtraderumors scouts who attended Lee’s two outings believe he is not healthy either .

23. Ken Bland

July 29, 2014 at 12:33 am

Time for a little Jeapordy.

And the question is how many times have Phillie observors asked how does Amoron keep his job?

And showing it doesn’t take many post Cuse years on this planet to have an answer, the young Matt Gelb explains in Tuesday’s Inky with the fine general manager’s strongest attribute laid out for public view..

Amaro, HIRED FOR HIS EXPERTISE IN NEGOTIATING CONTRACTS, awarded Byrd that no-trade clause plus an attainable vesting option for 2016, one that Byrd will want guaranteed in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause. Byrd played last season on a minor-league deal.

Where would the English language be without sarcasm?

• schmenkman

July 29, 2014 at 12:44 am

It’s a very fair contract, and Byrd is earning it. It should also be said, the prior season’s contract is irrelevant.

If he can’t be traded for sufficient value, he’ll provide value on the field, like he was originally signed to do.

• Lefty

July 29, 2014 at 8:55 am

It wouldn’t bother me at all if the contract prevents him from being traded. He provides legitimate value and a right handed presence to a line up that needs it.

And everyone always loves home grown players, but they forget that Byrd, despite the fact he’s been gone a while, – is just that.

• Hogey's Role

July 29, 2014 at 9:34 am

I would love to land Peterson from the mariners, not saying Byrd would do that solely but he may help… If I’m the phils I eat his money for this year and pay his 8 million option if we have to to facilitate a trade….

Idk what it would take, Byrd and revere or Byrd and asche… for Peterson and a lower prospect…. I know the mariners need outfield help though….

24. Pingback: You Mad, Bro?: Phillies Get Some Colon Blow - The Daily Stache - The Daily Stache

25. Souled0ut1

July 29, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Hi all, does anyone know who filled in for LA on the WPHT radio broadcast last night? I’m out of market and listen to the radio broadcasts on my MLB app. I only heard the last few innings of the game but the radio team last night actually discussed the play by play and related baseball topics as it pertained to the game at hand. It was so refreshing and…un-LA like.