Gameday 90: Phillies at Brewers – Phillies Nation
2014 Gameday

Gameday 90: Phillies at Brewers

Philadelphia Phillies (39-51) at Milwaukee Brewers (52-39)

Starting Pitchers:
PHI: Roberto Hernandez (3-8, 4.48)
vs.
MIL: Kyle Lohse (9-3, 3.18)

Time: 8:10, Miller Park
TV: Comcast Sportsnet
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 74
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight: The Phillies are going for three in a row against the first place Milwaukee Brewers.  They’ll face former Phillie Kyle Lohse.  The Brewers are 13-5 in games that Lohse has started this season.

Lineup: Revere CF / Rollins SS / Utley 2B / Howard 1B / Byrd RF / Asche 3B / Brown LF / Rupp C / Hernandez P

July 9, 2014 at 7:48 pm

If the Phillies record is 39-51, the game day is not #90

• Lefty

July 9, 2014 at 7:49 pm

just sayin’

• schmenkman

July 9, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Looks like it’s going to be a “161” game season this year.

• wbramh

July 9, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Lefty: I’m surprised it’s not something closer to game # 60 because I was sure the Phillies forgot to show up for at least 30 of those games.

• Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 8:15 pm

They’re too busy with their TV show to count

2. Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 8:17 pm

CHASE UTLEY, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

• Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 8:17 pm

So tell me again about how the Phillies’ problem is their age.

3. Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 8:36 pm

crap. there goes the early lead.

4. lefty

July 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Ben isn’t a horrible player, but he has a really bad arm for a C.F.

5. lefty

July 9, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Everyone be quiet, it’s time for Tracey to fall asleep.
    I have to take over the PN blog comment section for a while. But not to worry, she’ll be back in the seventh or eighth.

• lefty

July 9, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Of course that assumes there is actually anyone reading this.

• wbramh

July 9, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Fear not Lefty – I have returned from the dead. and “yes, I agree” to whatever I missed in these last however many threads. A 10 minute rain, one boom and my home (along with 350 others) were without electricity for 36 hours.
        I.N.F.R.A.S.T.R.U.C.T.U.R.E.

• Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Nope, I’m still awake. Though I was out of the room when the Phils picked up the two run lead. WOO HOO!!!

6. Skip W

July 9, 2014 at 9:09 pm

If Marlon Byrd has a better arm than Ben Revere in CF, why haven’t the Phillies switched them in the outfield?

• schmenkman

July 9, 2014 at 9:13 pm

A good arm is more important in RF, because of the throw to third base. Also, the arm isn’t as important as range, for example, for an outfielder.

• lefty

July 9, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Exactly

• wbramh

July 9, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Since Revere doesn’t have the arm for left, right or center I think they should open up the position of short field for him – you know, like in softball. In case the the oppsing manager or the occasional observant umpire notices 10 men on the field, the Phils could always drop the 1st base position since it doesn’t help them much, anyway.
        Just a thought.

July 9, 2014 at 9:26 pm

That’s the old lean backward bunt.

July 9, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Jimmy! Those sons of bitches, Jimmy!

• Lefty

July 9, 2014 at 9:34 pm

My best Ray Liotta imitation.

July 9, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I see that the Brewers put a blue glove on tge back of the pitching mound. That’s kind of cool, but I noticed that the Angels put ” Vote GRIch ” on theirs. I don’t like that very much. Anyone have thoughts on that? Shmenk, hogey, bacardi, Andrew or Tracey,anyone else?

• schmenkman

July 9, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I’m for Bobby Grich for the Hall of Fame. One of the most deserving of those not already in. Underrated in his day because he did many things well while not wowing in any one. But when you add it all up, overall he was extremely valuable, as shows by WAR.

• Lefty

July 9, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Haha ! Yes I’m for ” that” GRich too, but not for promoting Garrett Richards.

• schmenkman

July 10, 2014 at 12:03 am

Aah — oops. Yeah, I’m ok with making the final vote a fun competition. Remember Victorino (twice), and the campaign with (I think) Brandon Inge?

• Hogey's Role

July 9, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I guess it’s ok to support your players… But you’re right it will probably eventually lead to advertising spots on the mound lol

10. Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Oh baby!!! He played that almost as badly as a Phillies outfielder!

• Lefty

July 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm

That’s a gold glover out there lol, they all make mistakes I guess.

July 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Rupp took what he gave him and dropped one in. Nice job

12. Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I’ll take that Brewers logo anywhere I can get it. I really like the way that graphic puts together the m and the b and makes it look like a baseball glove.

As for the “Vote GRICH” thing… I think I’ve seen other teams doing that. It wreaks of desperate, and it’s a distraction from the game. I don’t care for it.

• Lefty

July 9, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Shameless self promotion and then what’s next? WB Mason across the infield dirt?

July 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Wb!!! I hope you guys are ok. Good to have you back.

• wbramh

July 9, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Thanks Lefty,

Between having no power or communication and my son picking a less than great time to be on “vacation” in Israel it’s been a tough week here.

Yesterday, he was in an outdoor latrine somewhere south of Tel Aviv when missile warning sirens went off. He literally hopped out (you have about 15-30 seconds to find shelter) just in time to see a missile dropping directly over his head. At about 2,000 feet an Iron Dome missile intercepted it.

Enough to make a guy constipated – and give his father the you know whats.
      Anyway, baseball is a wonderful relief.

14. wbramh

July 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Oh, let them do whatever they want to do. Win or lose, at the end of the game they’ll still live in Milwaukee.

July 9, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Wow wow! The Red Sox designated AJ Pierzynski. With the current catching situation, that might not be a bad waiver claim

• Hogey's Role

July 9, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Idk kinda pricey for what he is producing, and personally I’d rather see rupp continue to play and develop… He may not be an everyday player in the end, but let’s see what he’s got…

• Lefty

July 9, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Oh my mistake. I thought DFA meant they attempted to trade him already and now had to eat his salary. The business side is my weakness as a commenter.

16. Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm

WOO HOO!!! Gotta love those old guys…

July 9, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Soon instead of coming out with sweepers, the field crew will come out with Budweiser stencils.

• Hogey's Role

July 9, 2014 at 10:29 pm

That would be interesting at miller park… Idk if it’s still called that or not, lol

July 9, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I don’t think the issue is so much the “old” guys. It’s the lack of good young guys. Lack of concentration on the entire system as a whole thatis upper managements downfall.

• Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Yeah, I agree with that. Our old guys are certainly not as good as they were in their prime. But the young guys we have aren’t playing any better than them (not even playing as well as them), so it’s absurd to blame the Phillies’ problems on their age.

• Hogey's Role

July 9, 2014 at 10:29 pm

I agree 100% lefty

• schmenkman

July 9, 2014 at 10:30 pm

“Win now, baby”. Seriously, that was the focus, and if one of the other successful trips to the postseason had resulted in a WS championship, we would think that was a good trade-off.

• Lefty

July 9, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Yes that’s true too. Hard to do both.

• Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Yes, and in fairness that seems to have been the attitude of a lot of Phillies fans. If you look back at the comments I was writing in this blog as far back as 2010, I always insisted that we needed to get and train new talent and look to the future instead of buying up the All-Stars of yesterday. A lot of people berated me, saying that we needed to worry about winning now. Sadly, we now reap the consequences of that mentality.

19. Tracey

July 9, 2014 at 10:27 pm

WOO HOO!!!

THREE IN A ROW!!!

And a game so quick, even *I* could stay awake for all of it!

20. Hogey's Role

July 9, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Damn good game pitched by Hernandez, and nice job in the 9th once again by pap, good turnaround by him this year……

That all said,
    Time to sell!!

21. Andrew from waldorf

July 9, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Winner winner
    Chicken dinner

this team is on a role.

I am feeling a parade come November.