2014 Game Recaps

Lee Injured As Phils Top Nats

Cliff Lee exited Thursday’s game against the Nationals with the same injury that held him out for two months earlier this season. He threw a pitch to Denard Span and immediately pointed to his elbow and threw his hands up in acquiescence. Scott Sheridan came out and Lee’s night was over after just two and two-thirds innings. All of Philadelphia is crossing their fingers that he can bounce back.

The bullpen picked up him, however, and was able to hold the Nationals to four runs over the remaining six and one-thirds innings. For a bullpen, I don’t think that’s too bad. In fact, both Justin De Fratus and Ken Giles looked phenomenal. The offense did its job as well, as they put up ten runs.

The Phillies put up ten runs Thursday night. They scattered 17 hits, and stole three bases. Ben Revere collected four hits, Jimmy Rollins and Grady Sizemore had three, and Marlon Byrd and Carlos Ruiz had two. They exploded in the fourth for five runs off Gio Gonzalez, and collected the remaining five in innings six and eight.

Twenty Steals For J-Roll

Jimmy Rollins notched his 20th and 21st steals on the season tonight, making it 13 out of the last 14 seasons that he’s had at least 20 steals.With 15 home runs so far in 2014, he could be on track for his fifth 20/20 season of his career. Both of his steals came in the same inning, as he swiped second and third.

Up Next:

The Phillies and Nationals are at it again tomorrow night, with Roberto Hernandez and Doug Fister taking the mound.

1. Skylar0201

July 31, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I actually wouldn’t mind if Lee just retired if he’s out for the season for this.

On a day where Ruben totally embarrassed an organization even more because he doesn’t understand the concept of “letting go”, it would be a fitting end if Lee calls it a career which means we end up with nothing–the same story we seen today when Amaro will never again have so many impact players he could have moved to beef up our wretched minor league system and failed to make even one move. Whatever it takes for Money to wake up and can Rube, I am all for and I mean whatever it takes too!!

2. Bruce

July 31, 2014 at 11:50 pm

It’s good to get back to the real world of baseball after all the trade speculations and anticipation based on rumors from “unnamed sources” fed by the PN writers for this site. I suppose the young fans enjoyed reading it and tossing names of players around as if they were managing their own baseball fantasty team (smile).

Reality check: I can see from the Phillies GM’s point of view and will eventually explain in a future interview. I believe he would say that he had very few offers and were not agreeable to him. He certainly did not see the names of desired prospects he had in mind from one team or another that chose not to take part in talks. Amaro also will probably say that while disappointed in his efforts, it will give him more time to evaluate his players on their progress (or lack of progress) for the remainder of the season. Of course, trades can still be made in August or after the season ends. In any case, Amaro would not simply trade away his most productive players for lesser value and certainly not any senseless “salary dumping’ without valued compensation.

I sensed the Phillies offensive display in the game tonight is aided by the players’ relief after the trade deadline passed. They played with minds cleared and attacked with clutch hits, aggressive baserunning with three steals from the top of the lineup (including 7 hits from both Revere and Rollins). The only disappointing note is Lee’s early departure with possibly the same injury that put him on the DL for two months.

I love baseball, and like other fans, want to see a competitive game, win or lose, with our best players in the line-up. At least we have that for the remainder of the season.

3. bacardipr05

August 1, 2014 at 4:13 am

I dont know how these contracts work exactly. I doubt Lee will just retire and leave all that money behind. Im assuming if he retires he looses that money.I hate to be negative but when he went down earlier i was like Oh Oh Roy H part 2. Instead we will be probably be treated to what we saw with Roy next year. I hope not but its shaping up to be that way.

4. wbramh

August 1, 2014 at 6:25 am

I’d say it’s no matter than 50-50 Cliff pitches again.

Unfortunately, it sounds like he should have had surgery 2 months ago. Now, it appears like surgery is a foregone conclusion and he’ll likely be out all of next season. Considering Cliff will be 36, he may be out for part of 2016 as well. If it’s Tommy John, figure 12 to 18 months… or retirement.

I don’t think Cliff can retire without sacrificing his remaining dollars. so perhaps the club will buy him out at this point (they must have an insurance policy on him) if he agrees to hang up his cleats. I assume his contract can then be removed from the cap.

5. wbramh

August 1, 2014 at 6:26 am

No better than 50-50, that is.

6. bacardipr05

August 1, 2014 at 7:33 am

I know any team that had even the slightest interest in trading for Lee are wiping their brow now..Woohz!

• Skylar0201

August 1, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Yep and pointing their finger at Amaro and laughing.

You can’t tell me that Ruben couldn’t have got anything for him at all–now we’re going to pay for not moving him when we should have.

Even if he pitches again, he will never be close to what he was up to 2013 or even up to yesterday’s trading deadline.

Amaro has uncanny timing…..

• Double Trouble Del

August 1, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Do you have insight into the the behind the scenes workings of the MLB trade deadline? Who could they have gotten for Lee this year? No one. Every scout that watched Lee after his return from the DL knew that he was not healthy. He was an August waiver wire candidate at best and now he’s not. Last year might have been different but he wasn’t going anywhere this July.

7. Double Trouble Del

August 1, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Incidentally, lost in all of the anti-Amaro talk is the fact that a great pitcher’s career is in jeopardy. I know Mr. Lee probably doesn’t follow this web site on a regular basis but if he does I wish him the best for a quick return to good health.

8. Andrew from waldorf

August 1, 2014 at 3:07 pm

who cares who they got back?

You can be in last and behind the Mets with me playing all 9 positions.

We are in the disconnect again.

Any player removed from this roster now is a positive.

I have that much insight.

• Double Trouble Del

August 1, 2014 at 3:13 pm

For what purpose? Salary relief for ownership to pocket? I’m OK with that. Its their team, they should be able fork off payroll to make up for the lack of gate money.