2014 Gameday

Gameday 113: Astros at Phillies

phillies

other

Arizona Diamondbacks (47-65) at Philadelphia Phillies (49-63)

Starting Pitchers:
ARI: Dallas Keuchel (10-7, 2.97)
vs.
PHI: Kyle Kendrick (5-11, 4.92)

Time: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Sunny, 82
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight:

The three game series between the Phillies and the Astros could easily be the battle of the awfully bad teams. Both teams have terrible records, and both are likely looking at top five picks in next June’s MLB Draft. Luckily for the Phillies Astros rookie sensation George Springer will be out the entire series as he is rehabbing a quad injury. The Phillies will however say hello to a few farm hands they traded away in the Hunter Pence trade. Jonathan Singleton will be at first base for the Astros. And the player to be named later in the Pence trade, Domingo Santana, just got called up from AAA Oklahoma.

Lineup: Revere CF / Rollins SS / Utley 2B / Howard 1B / Byrd RF / Ruiz C / Ruf LF / Asche 3B / Kendrick P

1. Ken Bland

August 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

The Phils have hit the home stretch in the 20K Derby. That’s the 4th leg of the Quadruple crown where we’ll see if they have a sub 20k crowd this year. Play like horse’s asses, draw the comp he reasoned. Early season conjecture, with massive maybeness was they’d stay above on all home dates. The bigger question at this point, looking ahead is how many 20K plus weeknight crowds they draw next year. The continued slippage of result that’s correlated with attendance and TV ratings can be reversed by a PR move that still awaits. And awaits, and awaits.

But for now, the Phils below average season, still close enough in time to a large season ticket base has them smack dab in the middle of the watch list, via both TV and in person. A year from now? Maybe the watch note is in Cleveland, where the Tribe does poory at the gate, but kicks relative ass in local TV ratings. But there’s a huge maybe attached to that.

15th in home attendance (a little better on the road, 3k more per date

Also 15th in local TV ratings, and ranking 3rd in prime time local TV ratings.

2. Gary

August 5, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Ryan Howard: Since his swing is slower to the ball, he needs to use a lighter bat. If he makes solid contact more often, he should hit more homeruns.

August 5, 2014 at 7:11 pm

There are a lot of blue seats.

August 5, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Keuchel is a pretty good pitcher. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a tough night for our bats.

August 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm

These guys look pretty silly in cowboy hats.

August 5, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Theres a homer off a lefty.

August 5, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Thought those guys were gonna whack each other, runaway train like.

8. Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Woo hoo! Got here in time to see Howard’s HR, but took some time to log in.

9. Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I worry about these Astros. I’ve always felt like they put the final nail in the Phillies’ coffin in 2011. Ending a long winning streak with a disastrous series against the worst team in baseball really takes the wind out of your sails.

• Lefty

August 5, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I never thought about it that way but you’re probably right.

10. Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 7:48 pm

HAHAHAHA!

• Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 7:49 pm

That malfunction brought to you by a former member of the Phillies farm team

August 5, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Did TMAC say he had 8 errors already?

August 5, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I won’t say anything about Kendrick’s no hitter if you don’t.

• Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I blame you. :^P

And it wasn’t just a no-hitter, it was a perfect game. 3 up, 3 down 3 times.

• Lefty

August 5, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Blame me for what? Still only 12 up 12 down.

• Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 8:03 pm

You jinxed the perfect game!

• Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 8:03 pm

(I kid)

13. Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Rats, that ends the perfect game.

14. RonaldBom

August 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I am learn a lot of things at here, made ??many friends

August 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Castro the Astro?

• Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Yeah, you really need to be careful about that sort of thing when you sign with a team.

August 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Back in the Wagner days we had Billy the Phillie

August 5, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I don’t recall so many shifts on Chase in the past.Maybe I’m just getting old.

August 5, 2014 at 8:12 pm

If they traded Byrd to the NL Florida team he’d be Marlon the Marlin

• Lefty

August 5, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I cant top that. End of exercise.

• Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I am very impressed.

19. Tracey

August 5, 2014 at 8:50 pm

argh

August 5, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I think when our pitchers walk the lead off man it’s usually a bad omen. It’s like tempting fate.

21. Andrew from waldorf

August 5, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Another must win for the Phils

Again no offense.

what a team

You have to love the consistency.

22. Andrew from waldorf

August 5, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I actually hope the ngiht the old man goes into the wall of fame is a sell out.

He deserves it.

Otherwise boycotting seems like a legitimate thing to me.

August 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Deer in the headlights

• Lefty

August 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm

The look on KK’s face just then.

24. Phillies Fan from Germany

August 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Nice innings for giles. Now With keuchel out its time for the offense to wake up. Get on Base, Benny…

• Phillies Fan from Germany

August 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Thats what i am Talking about. Now get him in.

August 5, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Can not walk the lead off hitter.

26. Andrew from waldorf

August 5, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Nice to see Revere doesn’t play hard or run hard.

with his limited talent not acceptable

• schmenkman

August 5, 2014 at 11:50 pm

He hustled and played hard last year. I’d like to see how he does when he’s not in obvious pain before indicting. He’s getting the pins in his ankle taken out in the offseason. He could have had them out during the season but decided to play through the pain rather than miss time.

27. Andrew from waldorf

August 6, 2014 at 12:16 am

Winner winner
    chicken dinner

15 innings of great baseball

but Ryan Howard does it again.

Why he paid the big bucks!

Still planning for that world series parade on November 1st

28. photoFred

August 6, 2014 at 10:26 am

I’ve read or heard the following a couple of times, now:

About a hundred years ago, at Penn State, I had a class by a gentleman who had written a book called “How to Lie with Statistics.”

Here’s my statistic of the day:
    This season, in the NL, among players hitting 4th, Ryan Howard has produced (RBI+R-HR) more runs than anyone except Casey McGhee. I think it’s actually quite remarkable especially considering his bad wheels.

• photoFred

August 6, 2014 at 10:27 am

Sorry—quote missing:

There have been 400 hitters in baseball from 1914-2013 with 575 or more plate appearances hitting cleanup. Howard’s .302 on-base percentage as a four-hole hitter was on pace for the fifth-lowest of those 400 hitters. His .363 slugging percentage was on pace for second-lowest while his .664 OPS was on pace for last.

29. photoFred

August 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

And even adjusted per AB:

Jay Bruce 0.294
    Justin Upton 0.270
    Pablo Sandoval 0.264
    Adrian Gonzalez 0.257
    Adam LaRoche 0.249
    Casey McGehee 0.247
    Ryan Howard 0.245
    Aramis Ramirez 0.232
    Starlin Castro 0.227
    Miguel Montero 0.226

I don’t have a deep understanding of baseballs New Math but I think Ryan Howard’s bad season has, in some instances, overstated. Like in that quote above.

• George

August 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

If you really don’t have a good understanding of baseball’s New Math, maybe you can get a job in the Phils’ front office. You’d fit right in.

• photoFred

August 6, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Ha! I’ve already applied. It was difficult though—my wrist got tired having to press hard enough to make 3 carbon copies.

• Ken Bland

August 6, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Lost some quotes myself using the brackets. Not a 1 time thang. Using quote marks on a copy and paste works like a charm.

Not that I really care, but in that 100 year history of Howard illustrating the poor quality of his year, I’m fractionally curious (not even, but what’s a fraction of a fraction) where his best year (’06) might rank at the other end of the spectrum.

Nore do I care about this, but I feel like mentioning it, last night, he looks clutch in an isolated game, breaking a tie late, and earlier the same thing. I guess they’re both in what you could call high leverage situations. But conversely, 500 games out of first place, leverage ain’t got no place in the discussion. So those, or he, or whoever that subscribe to his atat padding tendencies could make a point, too. Somewhere in there is a lie in statistics, I reckon.

That kid in the pic oughta stand back a little if he’s taking a snap from the center. Challenges the center;s snapping skills, voiced the football guru.

• photoFred

August 6, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Some time ago I posted a not well thought out remark that Ben Revere might be the worst .300 hitter in the game. In the same way, is Ryan Howard the best .220 hitter? And do those 2 bizarre skill sets average out to complete mediocrity? Don’t know.

Ken:
        I know football season is looming, but…
        The kid in the picture is me, on my dad’s back in Ocean City, NJ in about…oh let’s call it 1950. Never was any good at football. Could always hit a baseball but fly balls were a complete mystery to me. I could never figure where they were going to land—and land they usually did! Loved to play the game but sand lot only. Not good enough for any organized league.

• schmenkman

August 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm

@photoFred, just fyi, I wrote up a piece on where Revere ranks among .300 seasons. Googling “schmenkman revere” should bring it up. There’s also a similar piece on Howard and the worst 90 RBI seasons.

• photoFred

August 6, 2014 at 5:33 pm

@schmenkman
        Very interesting stuff. We agree totally on Revere. But while I’m not arguing that Howard is having a good year, I’m not sure how to react to the “historically bad” label of his (projected) 90 RBI season, especially on a team that produces so little, (and, yes, I guess he’s part of THAT problem). I mean, right now he is among the leaders in runs produced/AB. And a run is a run, right? Maybe I should recalculate that with PAs instead? I don’t know, my brain hurts.

Anyway, thanks for the links. Fun stuff.