Phillies Uniforms, and the Color Blue – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Phillies Uniforms, and the Color Blue

Happy Labor Day, Nation! Here’s a little change-of-pace post on the Phillies uniforms.

I was browsing the Phillies hat selection on Lids.com and came across this. That hat was worn by the Phillies in the 2000’s as an “Interleague Hat”, as they wore it, as an alternate, for when they played teams from the American League. It got me thinking: what would the Phillies look like if they added more blue to the uniform?

In recent years, they have worn the new “Diamond Era” batting practice (BP) hat for a few games, both home and away. But it kind of looks out of place, since the rest of the uniform lacks any kind of blue, save for the blue stars that dot the i’s on the front logo.

So, my idea is to add more blue to the entire uniform. Let’s start with hat. I would change the normal red hat with a white “P” to something that resembles the current BP hat. Something like this.

hwl(1)

Now for the home pinstripes. I’d like to see blue outlining on the “Phillies” script on the front, and on the name and number on the back. It would look like this:

cliff lee

JonathanPapelbonCarlosRuiz

For the gray away uniform, I would make the same changes, and add a little blue to the stripe on the pants.

450790318(2)

Some History

The Phillies have had blue in their uniform in the past, as well. The current “day game” home alternate uniform is based off an old Phillies uniform from 1948. (H/t Uni Watch). Also, the classic throwback jerseys that you see around Philadelphia and at Citizens Bank Park are powder blue, and were worn for road games in the 70’s and 80’s. The Phils also had an away jersey prototype that featured “Philadelphia” across the chest (the norm for away jerseys in MLB), and a blue outline on the sleeve numbers. That is taken from this, by Bill Henderson (via Dan Fuller here).

What do you think? Do you want to see more blue in the Phillies uniforms? Or should they stick with the classic red look?

1. AndrewJ

September 1, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I’d like to see them bring back the 1970-91 uniforms as an alternative uni.

• Jonathan Nisula

September 1, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Love those uniforms

• Richard

September 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hell yeah!

2. PaMikeyDC

September 1, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Yes to more blue!

I actually want maroon over red. Too any teams have red. Every time I go to the stupid Nats games I wear my phillies maroon, as to not get confused w the “Nats” red.

So, I think I answered your Q. Yes to the blue. But I would prefer maroon to red

• Jonathan Nisula

September 1, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Yeah I like the maroon/light blue as well. It’d be neat if they brought that back

3. Reczka

September 1, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I miss the powder blue road uniforms of the 70s and 80s. Despite being 70s vintage, they were pretty freakin’ cool. The Phillies should wear them (and the maroon pinstriped home uniforms of that era) once a week. You shouldn’t turn your back on your past.

4. Jay Floyd

September 2, 2014 at 12:43 am

Blue at the bottom of the sleeves & on hats would work for me. Don’t really like to look of blue around the “Phillies” on jersey fronts, although the back looks good.

Going too crazy would be like all these teams that popped up with red jerseys for no reason like the Braves. You don’t want the Phils to be like those guys, do ya?

• Jonathan Nisula

September 2, 2014 at 8:06 am

Yeah, I don’t think I’d want a full on blue jersey, it just bugs me that they have blue as an accent but hardly use it

5. betasigmadeltashag

September 2, 2014 at 4:57 am

I also really like the old powder blues. And I miss the maroon then red. Maybe it is because the maroon color is what they wore when I fist went to games as a kid in the early 70s.

6. TID

September 2, 2014 at 8:24 am

I’m guessing you’re not old enough to remember the all-blue hats they wore in the late ’95, or these stupid blue-rimmed hats and the stupid star in the P for interleague games. These are both stupid and hokey.

Though, I would like to see them resurrect the powder blue in some fashion – I’d say some kind of mesh between the current away uni’s but with powder blue instead of gray.

7. marty

September 2, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I’m all for it. maybe next year they could get the bats swinging

8. Matt

October 28, 2014 at 11:41 pm

What about just changing the current blue to a darker (American flag) or lighter (powder blue throwback) shade? The regular blue reminds me of the Cubs or Expos. A subtle change to the hat button and logo stars to another shade would go a long way.