Who Should Be Next For The Phils’ Wall of Fame? – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Who Should Be Next For The Phils’ Wall of Fame?

On August 12 of this year, another Phillies great will get inducted into their Wall of Fame. Pat Burrell, Charlie Manuel, and Mike Lieberthal were the most recent inductions in 2015, 2014, and 2013, respectively. To be eligible, players or managers must have at least four years of service time with the Phillies and be at least three years retired. Stats are no doubt taken into consideration, but so are several other things, like longevity and character, among other things.

This year, the initial candidates are as follows: Steve Bedrosian, Larry Christenson, Jim Fregosi, Gene Garber, Jim Konstanty, Fred Luderus, Ron Reed, Scott Rolen, Jim Thome, Manny Trillo, Pinky Whitney, and Rick Wise. You can vote here. The top five vote-getters from fans will fill out the final ballot that the Wall of Fame Selection Committee will eventually vote on. Voting ends at 5 PM on March 7.

For me, this choice is easy–Jim Thome. His numbers with the club aren’t anything to be totally blown away by. He played 391 games for the Phils, and hit 101 home runs in his time here. (Note: he is one of four players in MLB history to hit at least 100 home runs for three different ball clubs) His WAR ranks 10th among first basemen in franchise history, and his ISO power ranks 2nd. His 47 home runs in 2003 ranks as the 3rd-highest for a Phillies first baseman (it was second-highest at the time) His 131 RBI that year rank sixth. Fittingly, he also hit the last home run at Veterans Stadium in 2003.

But what made Thome so special was his relationship with Phillies fans. I’ve never met someone who wasn’t a fan of him. He’s a fan favorite even today–I saw several Thome jerseys and shirts at Citizens Bank Park last year.  He won the Lou Gehrig Memorial Award in 2004, which is given to players who replicate the kind of kindness, integrity, and character that Gehrig displayed both on and off the field. Moreover, he had a special relationship with Phils Wall of Fame member Charlie Manuel, and that surely resonates with fans on a sentimental level. He retired as an Indian, but he’s still one of my favorite Phillies of all time.

If I could, I’d vote Thome as my first, second, and third choice. But if you forced me to choose someone else, my second choice on the ballot would be Scott Rolen. He is probably the 3rd-best 3rd baseman in Phillies history, and, even though his relationship with the Phillies and their fans ended on a sour note in 2002, his numbers should be recognized. He’s played the 4th-most games at third base in franchise history, hit the 4th-most home runs, and has accumulated the 3rd-most WAR. He was one of the better fielding 3rd basemen we’ve seen here in Philadelphia–he made just 86 errors in 7324 innings at third. But, I’m going to be honest. It is hard to get over that sour ending in 2002.

Do you agree? Who should be the 37th inductee into the Phillies Wall of Fame? Let us know in the comments below.

1. Mike Smarrito

February 11, 2016 at 8:27 am

Thome by far. Trillo second.

2. Mike Simon

February 11, 2016 at 8:49 am

I’m not sure I get this ballot or others in the past. Average to good players, who play for the team for years does not equate to a “Wall of Fame” reward. By adding these type of players takes a little away from the honor that should be reserved to the truly great players like Schmidt, Carlton, etc. It’s a marketing event.

• George

February 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Fame isn’t just a matter of statistics. There are personalities involved and the particular time frame when certain people contributed.

Granted, some of the nominees are not hall of fame worthy, but this is not the MLB hall of fame. It’s whoever may have added to a playoff bound team, helped kick off a new spending policy by management, or who may have been particularly great in his dealings with the fans.

3. Tom Haines

February 11, 2016 at 8:50 am

I have Thome as 1 of 5 players to hit 100 HRs with 3 teams-Beltre ARod Reggie Darrel Evans. Thome is my vote for Wall of Fame. Runner up Fregosi -mostly because I can see sentimental vote given his sudden death and 93 still a great “recent” memory for a lot of fanbase. Committee might reason this is Fregosis only time to get in

4. Jeff Orbach

February 11, 2016 at 9:03 am

I would vote for Jim Konstanty-They wouldn’t have won in 1950 without him.

5. Matt A

February 11, 2016 at 9:04 am

The issue is the fans will ALWAYS choose a modern player. Rick Wise was a good pitcher for the Phillies. Jim Konstanty was the best reliever in baseball in 1950 and started Game 1 of the World Series. But Fred Luderus will never gain traction. Sure, his career WAR (19.7) is far below Thome’s (~71), but they played in completely different eras. Luderus was consistently in the MLB Top 10 in Games played, Doubles, Home Runs, and Extra Base Hits during his 12 year career (10 with the Phillies). Not to mention he was the captain of the 1915 NL Champion Phillies and hit .438 in the World Series against Boston. And all this was spent with (aside from the 1915 and 1916 Phillies) poor ball clubs.

But Pat Burrell got in because fans recognized his name and can’t remember (generally) players who played before 1970. It’s a shame. Fred deserves it. I honestly don’t think these “elections” mean a thing. If there was a clear Hall of Fame player on this list (which there isn’t, Thome is the closest but a borderline player at best) then I could understand ignoring all but two players/managers, but that’s not the case here.

6. photoFred

February 11, 2016 at 10:16 am

Manny Trillo was a Phillie for only 4 seasons, but one of them was 1980. He was a major reason the Phils won their FIRST World Series including driving home the winning run in the 9th inning of game 6. That’s enough for me.

I can watch this forever:
    Awesome.

I could make a case for Jim Konstanty, and Larry Christenson, too. But Manny is the only one of this group that has to be on the WoF IMHO.

• Ken Bland

February 11, 2016 at 5:23 pm

If you asked me before reading this thread if Manny was on the Wall, I’d have assumed yes. Good grief, just that freaking triple alone should ALMOST do the trick. Tell me your heart rate didn’t super escalate listening to Harry call that one live.

I don’t wanna put words in their mouths, but it seems to me like Messers Dallas, Bowa and Wheeler should have been banging his drum a LONG time ago. Good grief, he’s been eligible for at least 20 years.

The problem now is he’s but a memory to so many that will vote. And it’s a pretty good field, you can only vote for 3, and to those that vote with little research, which I assume will be fairly typical, he may get lost in the shuffle. More ancient, but well etched in memory is Konstanty, Thome’s a lock, and Bedrock won a CY, Fregosi’s well known. But I’m right there with ya on Manny. Pleasure to watch him.

7. Rob

February 11, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Trillo was voted to the ALL-TIME PHILLIES TEAM by the fans. Before Chase, probably the greatest 2nd basemen ever to play for the PHILS.

8. Jay Floyd

February 11, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Perhaps the most ideal vote would be that there is no need to require someone making the wall each year or make active guys eligible. Wait for Rollins, Utley, Ruiz, Hamels and Howard to be available as options.

Brad Lidge is beyond 3 years retired. Where is he? He’d have as much value to the org, or more, as Thome, Konstanty and others. I feel like Lidge would get a ton of votes against this field.

Thome stands out based on his Hall of Fame career. I think Thome’s number is being retired in Cleveland this year, so maybe keep the nods coming!

• Ken Bland

February 11, 2016 at 5:52 pm

guesswork time.

Lidge last pitched in 2012. But maybe he didn’t retire until at least months later, so maybe it’s next year he’s eligible?

Kinda sorta like Victorino’s still unsigned. Say he remains so for several months, then retires. His Wall eligibility wouldn’t be 3 years from last year, but from retirement time?

When the hell did Jamie Moyer retire? If he even knows the meaning of the word. He’ll get some votes. Hell, 2 hit shutout of the formerly good Braves? At 48 or 49. Damn.

9. Sean

February 11, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Talking about Rolen on the Wall of Fame is a joke. “He is probably the 3rd-best 3rd baseman in Phillies history… He’s played the 4th-most games at third base in franchise history, hit the 4th-most home runs, and has accumulated the 3rd-most WAR.”

Why does the 4th best 3rd baseman deserve a spot on our wall of fame? 4th best in Phillies history….not MLB history.

• Ken Bland

February 11, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Different subject, but I’m in Rolen’s corner when it comes HOF time.

But in glancing at his Phillies career, my goodness, why wouldn’t he belong in the Wall of Fame? Just looking at his numbers, and forgetting any aasociation with the era from which they came, he sure looks credible enough for such an honor. And not to sound forgetful or stupid, but what’s up with this 3rd best 3rd sacker in club history? Who am I forgetting that’s apparently so obviously number 2. It ain’t Ted Lepcio, or Don Hoak. Not no Don Money. Pass on Charlie Hayes. Pedro flees the claim too. Must be obvious to be number 2, but I don’t know.

• schmenkman

February 11, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Dick Allen would be the 2nd best 3B, I believe.

As for Rolen, completely agree. He would automatically be better than half the players on the Wall, both in terms of overall numbers, and Phillies career.

• Ken Bland

February 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm

never heard of Dick Allen. Can’t forget who you never heard of. But I remember Echoes of November.

• schmenkman

February 11, 2016 at 5:58 pm

My mistake — “Richie” when he was playing third.

• Ken Bland

February 11, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I used to sit there and be truly wowed by the good fortune of being able to follow Allen and Schmidt in 1 lifetime, and not terribly far apart in time. And this was really before any Phillie fan used to even dream they’d be entitled to such privilege. Amazing his name escaped me, but it truly did.

10. keg

February 11, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I love Thome, but he’s an Indian not a Phillie. I’d go with Rolen, but I agree that we don’t need one every year. Why is Pat on the freakin wall? Are you kidding me?

11. Tom Wilhelm

February 11, 2016 at 6:51 pm

The obvious choice is Pete Rose, but it looks like we have to wait until next year(better be next year). That said it Thome for me. No doubt about it. Scott Rolen??? Not in my lifetime.

12. George

February 12, 2016 at 11:32 am

Let the pros and cons continue!!

There are always going to be very deserving players who will be overlooked, but at least with a thread such as this one, we can all once again boost our own personal favorites and relive in our minds their contributions.

Maybe the wall is too small, but remembrances are certainly large enough.

13. Bob D

February 13, 2016 at 10:12 am

Jim Konstanty, Pinky Whitney, and Larry Christenson were my 3 votes. Konstanty easy by being first relief pitcher to ever win MVP and drive team to playoffs in 1950. Christenson as a key member of rotation for years. Could have been better if not for injuries. Whitney was great hitter.

14. Matt A

February 15, 2016 at 11:26 am

Folks, honestly look at a players PHILLIES career and go based on that. As far as who’s not on the list and should be, let’s start with the (4) Hall of Famer’s who meet the criteria for WOF candidacy.

1) Harry Wright, mgr.
    2) Napoleon Lajoie
    3) Dave Bancroft
    4) Eppa Rixey

As far as the Phillies All-Century team is concerned, the team is essentially the 1980 Phillies. Great team yes, but not everyone on that team was the best at their position in franchise history. Look beyond statistics alone and try to look at where that player ranked in franchise history in any category when they left/retired from the Phillies.

15. art kyriazis

March 1, 2016 at 4:52 pm

respectfully, i partially agree and partially disagree on who should go on the Wall of Fame. First, you have to separate this into pitchers and players and managers. Fregosi is the only manager. He goes in because he was a successful manager and got to the 1993 World Series–something only Red Dooin in 1915, Dallas Green in 1980 and Charlie Manuel in 2008-09 ever did. He HAS to go on. Too bad we waited til’ he was dead. Next, Pitchers. The only three candidates in the top fifty in WAR earned as Phils are Wise, 11.2, Reed 9.5 and Konstanty, 9.3. All are deserving, but Konstanty was the MVP in 1950 and pitched the Phils into the World Series. And he started a game vs the Yanks because Curt Simmons suspiciously got a draft notice just before the Series. (no monkee business there). So I argue, Konstanty gets the call. Finally, Players. Rolen dwarfs all the players–29.2 WAR earned as a Phil, followed by Fred Luderus at 19.8, followed by (surprise) Pinky Whitney 14.15 WAR. Here’s the rub–Scott Rolen has only contempt for Philadelphia. He hates Phillies fans. So the next deserving is Fred Luderus–and he IS deserving. He played 533 consecutive games as a Phillie from 1916-1919. He hit a whopping lot of Homers for the 1915 Phils and helped slug them into the 1915 World Series. He taught Carl Hubbell the screwball in 1924. He played for the Phils 1910-20, and from 1914-17, the Phils were a first division club. Fred Luderus was a great, great hitter and was a great, great Phillie–and deserves, richly, a spot on the Wall of Fame.

• Ken Bland

March 1, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Geez, someone actually took the trouble to look up Fred Luderus? Very good catch, looking at the back of his baseball card. Indeed, lots of homers before they were fashionable, and the length of time as a Phil is right there.

Two things stand out in checking him out. One, what, in the name of Coston Shocley is Melky Cabrera doing as a similarity on his baseball reference page and why isn’t he in already. Richly maybe understates it.