News

Time to celebrate: Phillies won’t lose 100 games this year

Phew. Another record averted.

It’s time for a daily news report.

Not keeping it 100

The Phillies won Tuesday, 4-1, ensuring they weren’t going to lose 100 games in 2017. Tommy Joseph went 2-for-4 with an RBI single, while Cameron Rupp drove in two with a double. Seems fitting, actually, that two guys who likely won’t be a part of the 2018 club had the say in this one.

Jake Thompson pitched OK, giving up just one run and four hits but lasting only five innings. That said, his ERA is down to 3.88, which seems amazing. The bullpen (Edubray Ramos, Adam Morgan, Luis Garcia, Hector Neris) was fantastic – they were perfect in four innings, and of the 12 outs they recorded, nine were strikeouts. Sheesh.

Back in time

This was fun: Matt Gelb and Matt Breen spoke to a bunch of players, coaches and folks involved in the great 2007 division championship run. You know, the one where the Mets choked.

Seriously, that final game was unbelievable. Go back and relive that one.

No knock Nick

Nick Williams is struggling, primarily as pitchers begin to figure out how to beat him. He has struck out 93 times in 79 games – not a good pace at all – inviting this piece about how he and coaches are trying to fix the holes.

Most intriguingly is a line about how decisions are coming this offseason. Remember, the Phils could grab some big-time outfielder in a trade. If that happens, you’d have to believe Williams and his undisciplined approach would be most likely to move somewhere else.

1. Tony

September 27, 2017 at 9:05 am

The Marlins will likely want Galvis or Hernandez – or both – for Yelich. I would not make that trade. The best thing the Phillies can do is sign a 2 or 3 slot pitcher behind Nola to shore up the rotation.

• Mike Fassano

September 28, 2017 at 1:49 pm

I’d rather they trade Galvis and Williams and a low level prospect or two for Yelich. I think that the Phils will be in the mix for Arrietta this winter.

• Ken Bland

September 28, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Well, Mike, while you didn’t define in the mix as shallow in, or lock stock and barrel, I don’t agree, and I’m largely opposed to it. It’d be a move rooted in a decent degree of desperation for an “ace.” You look at Jake’s pitching dashboard on a year over year, and you see upside? I don’t. Not necessarily an aggressive decline, but your not talking up. I would say maybe 2 pretty decent years can be reasonably “expected,” and I would assume he’ll at least try to get 4 years as close to guaranteed as he can. I’m not totally down on Jake, mind you…if I let my heart lead, I’d be on board with you because I like him, and root for him, but business wise the Phils, probably still 2 years away, maybe a bit longer are not a good fit for him. He can push a contender over the top. Asking him to be “the man” isn’t something you can count on him for anymore. Even if he pitches great in the playoffs, which as a short term frame could conceivably happen, you have to watch your tendency to think it has to do with the future. Now if they want to go out and get as many as 3 decent starters including him, maybe he’s a play.

• Mike Fassano

September 29, 2017 at 9:53 am

Lock, stock and barrel for Arrietta or Lynn.

2. Keg

September 27, 2017 at 10:23 am

I believe the Marlins would take Williams and Galvis for Yelich, and I still believe they’ll shop Stanton. All the Phillies have to do is; take that payroll from them.

3. Betasigmadeltashag

September 28, 2017 at 9:50 am

Why would you think about trading for an OFer, the one thing they have is outfeilders. Outside of Kingerly most of their top prospects are OFers.

4. Justin McElroy

September 29, 2017 at 8:07 am

Speaking of outfielders, how does the whole Hunter Pence saga shake out with the emergence of “throw in” Domingo Santana this season? The net result of that entire sequence boils down to trading Santana (3.0 WAR, 124 wRC+ in 2017) for Tommy Joseph (-1.1 WAR, 85 wRC+). Santana just turned 25.

• Mike Fassano

September 29, 2017 at 9:58 am

Santana for Joseph. Did you forsee Santana being this good? The Phillies traded for Tommy Joseph the CATCHER. Did you foresee multiple concussions for him? Shit Happens.