News

Report: Wathan, Kapler possible finalists for manager position

Todd Zolecki reports the Phillies are finishing their first round of interviews in the search for a new manager.

He writes Dusty Wathan and Gabe Kapler are expected to be finalists for the position; meanwhile, Matt Klentak interviewed former Red Sox manager John Farrell for the job Wednesday.

As for timetable, Zolecki repeats the same thing we’ve been told all this time: The Phillies aren’t in a rush.

***

COMMENTARY: So this is why the “zeroing in” tweet by Bob Nightengale needs to be taken for what it is – a collection of words tweeted out to the world. “Zeroing in” is vague enough to mean several things; in this case it means Wathan is someone they’re likely sending to second interviews.

As for what remains? I’m very much in favor of two finalists being the in-house skipper who worked his way up the organization and has worked with just about everyone of note that the Phils employ on its 40-man roster, and the out-the-box executive who played and preaches sports science. Matt Klentak wanted fresh, and it looks as if these candidates reflect that.

You may be asking “Why Farrell?” I take it this way: Klentak is a first-time general manager making arguably his biggest move yet of his young tenure. If I was in his position I’d be carefully weighing all my options, leaving no stone unturned and acquiring as much information as necessary. It’s possible he’s interviewing Farrell (and guys like Manny Acta, who reportedly wasn’t in person for his talk) also to get an understanding of what veteran managers outside the organization think of certain players, concepts and strategies. All this to say try not to worry about *how* the Phillies reach their decision (and really don’t worry about what it is either, because we won’t know how good or bad it was until years from now).

1. Jeff S

October 26, 2017 at 9:34 am

I’ll bet they’re eyeing Farrell for pitching coach.

2. Justin McElroy

October 26, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Girardi!

• Ken Bland

October 26, 2017 at 12:49 pm

You absolutely have to talk to him. Now whether he’s the right guy to manage the club, that’s a very heavy question. And when you talk to him, you have to remember, you’re just getting one side of the story. It’s too easy to fall in love with the idea because he has a number of positive traits. You’re not going to get a black and white, right or wrong out of the interview process, but the Phillies HAVE to pursue this to get a better feel for the fit. I hope it’s a go, but it strikes me as pure guesswork as to what kind of fit Joe would be with Klentak and MacPhail. Just from an outsider’s view, this is an incredible move by the Yanks. Incredibly stupid.

• Justin McElroy

October 26, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I agree…Girardi wasn’t perfect, but no manager is. Hiring him would definitely be making a statement that the organization is ready to move forward. I’m sure the Nationals will be contacting him very quickly as well.

3. Justin McElroy

October 26, 2017 at 2:55 pm

It’s interesting that the NY Post mentions Pete Mackanin as a possible Girardi replacement.

4. Craig Glessner

October 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm

I like Wathan and Girardi. I think both feel they have something to prove and both have good track records. The big question is can Wathan coach in the majors. Look at Rhyne Sandberg that was a steaming pile of coaching that everyone thought was a can’t miss. I’m good with both but how would Girardi fit with the team and with Klentak. The bigger question may be who is going to be the pitching and batting coaches. Go Phillies

5. Keg

October 26, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Ryne was different because he was a star who couldn’t understand why these guys made the same stupid mistakes over and over. He got an aging team, and then was told to play the younger guys. That took whatever say he had with the team away. I think he would’ve been a really good manager had he been given free reign. I have nothing against Wathan, but if they can get Girardi…. jump quickly. We missed out on Gardenhire. Don’t make that mistake again. Go Phillies!

6. Jeffrey Orbach

October 27, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Get Girardi Now!!! Sandberg’s big problem in my view was throwing players under the bus. He kept