News

What will the coaches do? And some managerial candidates emerge

Who will manage the 2018 Phillies?

It’s time for a daily news report …

Say his name

Matt Klentak told all of the coaches they’re “free agents” and could come back, but that’s up to the new skipper. So Jim Salisbury talked to Mickey Morandini (why him over the rest?), who says he wants to be part of the new coaching staff.

But here’s the deal – the Phils stole 59 bases this year (13th in the National League). They were conservative in the running game and it didn’t help an offense that struggled for much of the year. Steals aren’t in vogue right now, but if I’m the Phillies, I zig where everyone else is zagging and prefer a first base coach who sees steals as underappreciated value. I don’t see how Morandini returns, at least at first base.

Here are some names

Speaking of the new skipper, Salisbury dropped a couple early candidates in his piece. They are: Brad Ausmus (former Tigers manager), Tim Bogar (Mariners) and Gary DiSarcina (Red Sox). Both Bogar and DiSarcina worked in the Angels organization during Klentak’s time there.

How is it that replacement-level ballplayers become managers?

His name is Larry

One member of the coaching staff who may not need worry about his future is Larry Bowa. A report from Bob Brookover details the Phils want Bowa back with the organization, possibly in a different role than bench coach (hello, special advisor).

I’m not excited about Bowa coming back. I don’t know what he brings (other than relaying stories about how the game was played in the 1970s), and I’d rather Klentak and Co. look to the outside for help with this squad. While it’s good to have a few connections to the past (I suppose the young players need to know what Philadelphia fans are like?), I think the Phils rely on them slightly too much.

And no, Bowa should absolutely not be considered as manager of the team.

1. Nick M

October 3, 2017 at 7:31 am

Agree 100% on Morandini. He brings nothing to the table and baserunning wasn’t anything special this year. I don’t think Bowa should be on the staff but I would like to see him stay in the organization. McClure has got to go.

Kind of like when football teams hire a head coach, I think it is important to see who the new manager will bring with him as coaches (or who will want to work with him) Usually managers prefer people that they’ve worked with before and are comfortable with. Whoever the manager is, I hope there are good coaches with proven track records working along side him.

2. Gary G

October 3, 2017 at 7:46 am

WRONG! Larry Bowa knows more about Baseball strategy than almost anyone on the planet. He is not great working directly with some players but the new manager would be foolish to not want him as a bench coach. “Telling old stories about the 1970s”. – SMH

3. Jeff T

October 3, 2017 at 10:49 am

I would think that the team would want to learn how to build a team from infancy with charisma…….think Cubs and Joe Maddon. His bench coach Dave Martinez would be a great hire. He would also appeal to the Hispanic playersrs.

4. Tony

October 3, 2017 at 10:58 am

Completely agree on Larry not returning as manager. He has much to contribute, but his firey style will simply not fly with this young team. Bob McClure should check the want ads. Dusty Wathan, who managed the Iron Pigs successfully and worked with many of these players, would be a logical fit.

5. Ken Bland

October 3, 2017 at 11:56 am

The article poses the question of how replacement level players become managers.

That is one time honored question that has been applicable for more years than the combined age total of the readership of this board.

But between the appearance of that question, and some of the ridiculous names being thought of as candidates (I mean, let’s get serious, do anyone think Klentak is hiring a guy that’s not sabremetrically sound), let’s throw another name in there, if nothing else, maybe years ahead of his time.

Sub replacement level ballplayer is on the business card of former legendary Phil Michael Martinez.
    He’s now 34 or 35, but has seen it all in organized baseball. Nobody made more fun of him during his down and further down MLB career, but that was accompanied with consistent reminder to those that accused him of having pictures of Amaro as his saving grace that he was exactly the sort of lifer that became a skipper, and don’t be shocked if he comes back to be the Phils manager at some point. Whether Minnie has dropped his dependence on an interpreter and would appease Mike Schmidt as leader qualified by speaking English, I don’t know, but he’s got that typical diversity that qualifies him for rumors someday if he decides to pursue managing. It’s unlikely this is his time, but he’s got at least some stepping stones to launch from at some point.

My man, Minnie. Love that hairstyle forever.

6. John Noucas

October 3, 2017 at 1:17 pm

another blogger with an opinion

7. Chas Kocher

October 3, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Could not disagree more. Bowa was part of a winning spirit and plays the game right. Who is Klentak and why should his friends replace the real Phillies? Outsiders don’t make it here. Too much ink and not enough hustle here already. Wake up Phillies Nation. You are hikacking your team!

8. kfrei881

October 3, 2017 at 6:25 pm

I would love to see the Dodgers win the World Series, watch Chase Utley retire than have the Phillies offer him the head coaching gig, let him learn on the fly. Like the article states, sometimes it good to zig when everyone else zags.

If my million dollar pipe dream doesn’t come true, I really hope they keep their eyes on him, I think Chase would have quite a career in coaching.

9. Keg

October 3, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Sorry, according to Tim, Chase would be a horrible coach. He’d expect too much from this young team, and wouldn’t just let them go the sabermetric route. What good could a former all star who played the game the right way do?

Bowa is one of the best teachers the Phillies have. It would be sad to not utilize that. Go Phillies!!

• Geoff A Littlefield

October 3, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Bowa isn’t politically correct that’s why players don’t like his style of leadership, just like Dallas Green they tell it like it is. I agree Bowa is a great teacher, and if you get the few prima donnas to eat some humble pie and realize they don’t know everything, I think they can take it to the next level. I personally would love to see Chooch come back either as a pitching coach or at least a bullpen coach.