News

Gabe Kapler press conference today

The Phillies will introduce new manager Gabe Kapler at 2 p.m., according to Jeff Sversky of 6ABC, on Twitter.

There will be a live feed.

Meanwhile, Former Phillie Great Charlie Morton was the man on the mound when the Astros won the World Series last night. Chase Utley led off the ninth against Morton and struck out. Was that Utley’s? final appearance on a baseball diamond? (Don’t bet on it.)

Of course, Morton being on the mound meant that Other Former Phillie Great Ken Giles wasn’t out there. Can’t have ’em all, I guess.

Congratulations to the Astros. Enjoy the title (took a while, huh?).

Meanwhile we’re petitioning Sports Illustrated for a cover story this offseason.

1. Ken Bland

November 2, 2017 at 4:00 pm

With bigger fish to fry in the Dodgers picture as they absorb defeat today, there’s been a minimal amount of discussion in recent weeks on the future of Chase Utley. Utley himself, as is his usual norm downplayed the subject, but as of today, it’s quite relevant in his life. One thing that did come out was the Dodgers interest in having him in a front office capacity.

Utley left here on what seems rightly labeled excellent terms. Today, both at his press conference, and in at least one follow up interview, Kapler referenced Utley in a very positive way. Perhaps the Dodgers and Phils will wage a battle for Utley’s services for 2018 unless he miraculously (my word) positions himself for a roster spot somewhere. Seems like he would make a terrific hitting coach supplementing his presence as a leader.

As for the press conference, I don’t know. I get all the negativity expressed in a lot of internet comments as reaction, it’s a very available choice. I’m either more open minded, or up in the air as reaction as opposed to convictionally negative, I’ll just say it’s gonna be interesting. My one feeling that stood out most was this guy is too diversified to see as a long term manager, let alone with one club. But for now, he might be right. Hope he lines up some excellent coaches. Names that come to mind out of left field, and I mean DEEP in left field include in no particular order, David Cone, or John Smoltz. I find it hard to believe that Curt Schilling would be a viable option, but that’s for Kapler to determine.

2. Jeffrey Orbach

November 2, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Would love if they brought Utley back in some capacity. If Schilling is the best candidate for pitching coach then that’s who I want. We’re not picking him for President , just pitching coach. The other names sound good too, I’ve always wanted to see Jamie Moyer as pitching coach.

• schmenkman

November 3, 2017 at 11:39 am

Schilling is an embarrassment waiting to happen, I don’t want him anywhere near this team.

3. denzen

November 3, 2017 at 12:38 pm

No matter what ones politics, Schilling is a loose cannon.
    Towards the end of the season I was watching Davey Lopes and Jason Werth sitting on the bench talking and pointing like coaches. I had never thought of Werth as a coach, but with his great approach at the plate, could he be a hitting coach.?

• Ken Bland

November 3, 2017 at 12:56 pm

While it’s an ill advised practice to speak for someone else’s thoughts, I’ll do so here regarding Jeffrey’s comment above “if Schilling is the best qualified for pitching coach, that’s who I want.” I took that to mean he wants the best qualified guy rather than a particular endorsement. To me, the best qualified guy is the one who, quite simply does 2 things. Knows pitching inside and out, and effectively communicates that to the staff. While in my own personal view, Curt Schilling is not a candidate worthy of much thought or discussion, you’d have to think he knows pitching and preparing to pitch as well as anyone who has ever pitched. But he falls way short on the communication side. I generally agree with the comment as to hiring the best qualified guy, whoever that might be. But it’s a humongous if as to if that’s Schilling, and better determined by those that know him much more than a fan like myself.

On Werth, yes, he comes across as a very schooled hitter, especially in terms of patience, and that would seem to translate positively as a prospective hitting coach. His baggage is less scary than Schilling’s and could maybe be worked through. But the real knockout with him, at this time is that while the Nats don’t seem to have him in their plans, he has expressed interest in playing another 4 years. That might be tough, but he should find another year, maybe 2 of employment somewhere in at least a backup role.

• Mike Fassano

November 3, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Utley would make an excellent hitting coach. His hands are low, close to the body, a nice short swing, and a good eye at the plate. I don’t know if they would be interested but both Moyer and Halliday would be worth a call as a pitching coach.

• Ken Bland

November 3, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Ever stop for a minute and think about the high number of failed, or at least short term pro baseball careers there are compared to guys who at least bounce around a bit? I mean we criticize Phillie players all the time, but they do well to make the majors. So in that spirit, this is by no means a criticism, but the Moyers (at least Jamie’s oldest, Dillon and he) have to own a record for earliest and latest retirement in one family. Jamie was what, 88 when he finally retired, even though it was probably only on April Fool’s Day that that rumored announcement came to pass. Dillon shortstopped in the Dodgers org for a couple years, but is now selling real estate in Seattle at age 26. Jamie’s 54, lives in Florida. If I were to guess, he dragged his wife through more teams than the sport has franchises during his career, and when you compare the idea of coaching for a month in spring training to get your jollies versus all that travel, I don’t know if he’d be interested. Would he be good? Geez, you’d think so.

On Doc, I can’t help but laugh. I just watched post season baseball that had maybe one or two starting pitchers pitch through the National Anthem before the phone rang in the pen. And the grimaces Doc gave Charlie when he even thought about pulling him before midnight fresh in my mind, I wonder how into the gig he’d be the way the game’s changed. Who knows what makes anyone’s competitive juices flow, no matter how good they’d project in a coaching gig, but neither seems likely.

• Mike Fassano

November 3, 2017 at 8:50 pm

I’d guess That Jamie still owns his house in Boyertown, and the reason I thought of Doc was that he was such a positive thinker. You’re probably right, but I’d still give them a call.