News

Roy Halladay has died in a plane crash

Earlier today in the Gulf of Mexico, Roy Halladay died in a plane crash.

The 2-time Cy Young Award winner and 8-time All-Star was an avid flyer, often sharing his experiences on social media.  Earlier reports in the day noted a plane registered in his name had crashed and the lone pilot had died.  By 4:30 pm the local authorities confirmed it was fan favorite Roy Halladay.

Roy started his MLB career in Toronto and overcame a demotion to the minor leagues to become one of the most preeminent pitchers in his generation.  After 12 years as a Blue Jay, he was traded to the Phillies in December 2009.  He quickly achieved icon status in the city after a dominating first year which saw him win his second Cy Young Award.  He will forever be remembered for throwing both a perfect game in the regular season and a no-hitter in his first playoff appearance.

Roy was 40 years old and is survived by his wife and two children.

Along with countless people around the world, we at Phillies Nation are profoundly saddened by this tragic news and send condolences to his family – feel free to leave yours in the comments.

1. bruce

November 7, 2017 at 5:26 pm

This is such shocking news. So sad. One of my favorites among pitchers I have followed over the years. My condolences to his family.

2. David

November 7, 2017 at 5:38 pm

So heartbreaking. Way too young to go. I will never forget him and his legendary games for the Phillies. Rest in peace Doc and my condolences to all his friends and family.

3. Tim

November 7, 2017 at 6:01 pm

This is a sad day for the baseball world, we lost a classy and very competitive guy. I’m a Phillies fan,and I was thrilled when he came to Philly to pitch. He was a great pitcher and a good person. My sympathy goes to out to his family and friends.

4. Susan

November 7, 2017 at 6:01 pm

This is such sad and shocking news. Really enjoyed watching him pitch. RIP and fly high Roy!

5. Josepha Cuomo-Evers

November 7, 2017 at 6:08 pm

My heart hurts!! Enjoyed every pitch, he made the game exciting. Only the good die young. Will be greatly missed. Prayers to his family. God bless to all and may His strength guide you.

6. Donna

November 7, 2017 at 6:23 pm

This a sad day all around. First for his family, my heart goes out to everyone of them, esp his wife & children. Secondly for the baseball world, for his excellence performance & leadership. You will be missed by all !! RIP Roy …

7. Craig Glessner

November 7, 2017 at 6:42 pm

DOCTOBER. Not only was he great he made others around him great. I guess it is free agent time in heaven also and they got a cy young. Sad day for baseball and Philly Nation.

8. PROFESSOR ALPHONSE DATTOLO

November 7, 2017 at 7:07 pm

GOD BLESS YOU, ROY AND THANK YOU FOR MAY 29,2010 AND OCTOBER 6,2010.

November 7, 2017 at 7:24 pm

I am deeply saddened by this terrible news. Warmest condolences to the Halladay family.

10. Ken Bland

November 7, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I have followed this story since the crash was reported, and you hoped against hope that the one person reported dead was not Doc. 4-5 hours later, and it’s still word defying shock. And quite honestly, flawed though it may well sound, touched by whatever emotion it is that refreshes the memory of the emptiness I felt when Thurman Munson and JFK Jr. died in similar circumstances.

At this point, in attempt to get it back to Doc, who this is about, as opposed to one fan feeling a loss, I guess there’s a fine line between those that root for the name on the back of the jersey, and the word Phillies on the front. I’ve always suspected I had more interest in a fair amount of the players as people than most fans, and as one of my all-time favorites, Doc was no exception.

So close to 4 straight WS appearances, it’s easy to feel deprived that it didn’t quite happen. A principal hope during part of that time was that Doc would make it to the Fall Classic as a thank you for choosing to pitch here. But as time has passed, despite the dreadful and elongated fall from grace, there was still a feeling of appreciation that along with several other players, we most notably had a chance to watch Doc and Cliff present their craft in Phillie uniforms. Not mentioning others is not to minimize the appreciation, they just frankly were at the top of the list.

Today has been unreal. All I know for sure right now is I will miss his having a chance to live a lot more experiences as both a part of the game, and the man he became in what should have been his first half of life. As just a distant fan, and a stranger, I will miss Doc. Greatly. But there are a lot of fond memories to ease that for which I am truly grateful despite some heartbreaking results that never saw Doc get to the Series as a Phillie.

11. Doreen

November 7, 2017 at 7:34 pm

So sad to hear that one of the best has tragically died. What a great pitcher! Doc and Chooch made a great duo on the field. Sad day for baseball and Philadelphia. Rest In Peace. Condolences to his family.

12. loupossehl

November 7, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Others have already said it all, and said it well. A sad day for baseball, Phillies fans in particular and, first and foremost of course, the Halladay family. Condolences to that family.