News

BREAKING: Scott Kingery to start in MLB, signs massive deal of up to 9 years

Scott Kingery/ Photo by: Lauren McLaughlin

UPDATE: The option years are worth $13 million, $14 million and $15 million, respectively.

***

UPDATE: According to Jim Salisbury, the contract guarantees him $24 million; no word yet on the year-by-year amounts.

***

UPDATE: Meghan Montemurro tweets it’s a six-year deal with three club option years. In essence, if Kingery is good enough, he’s a Phillie through 2026.

Holy crap.

***

UPDATE: According to Jim Salisbury, the Phillies have signed Kingery to a long-term contract. Salisbury then tweeted it’s a six-year deal¬†with options, which will buy out his pre-arbitration and arbitration years.

There is precedence: The Astros in 2014 signed Jonathan Singleton (a former Phillies prospect) to a five-year deal before he started playing in the majors. And in 2008, the Rays signed Evan Longoria to a nine-year contract in 2008, just two weeks into his rookie season.

Wow.

***

According to reports, Scott Kingery will be on the 25-man opening day roster.

Kingery will likely play in a hybrid role, getting turns at multiple positions, according to the reports. He is a second baseman but has also played third base, shortstop and the outfield this spring while hitting .392/.415/.725 with four home runs.

We also just found out this morning that Drew Hutchison’s contract was purchased by the Phillies, basically making him a lock for opening day. To make room for Hutchison, the Phillies designated Cameron Rupp for assignment.

1. Craig Glessner

March 25, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Long live the king. I’d like to see similar deals for Nola and Hoskins. This lineup is looking dangerous I almost have to believe there is a deal in place for someone else that will move them for pitching. If not the 4 man bench looks like Quinn, Knapp, Williams, and whoever Kingery is playing for that day. I know we have had some great lineups in the past but this may be the best 1 through 9 lineup I’ve ever seen with the Phil’s. Bring on 2018 GO PHILLIES

• simplefacts

March 26, 2018 at 11:40 am

It will be a fun lineup but it is a long way from the 1976 to 1983 lineups and the 2006-2011 lineups. It definitely has potential and I will be enjoying watching the games this year but let’s not get to far ahead of ourselves, potential doesn’t always equal production.

2. Vernon Dozier

March 25, 2018 at 4:02 pm

It’s an unexpected deal. It’s a bold deal. However, it will be years before any of us can definitively say whether or not this is a good deal.

3. Jeffrey Orbach

March 25, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Going to miss Cameron Rupp , a very nice guy. Great signing for Kingery. Maybe they’ve got a deal in the pipeline for CE HE.

4. Ken Bland

March 25, 2018 at 6:15 pm

To call this a fascinating move still understates it. Common sense would tell you it’s reasonable to sniff a pitching acquisition out of this before OD, but on hunch, I believe the intention is to go as is with Kingery starting the year as a jack of many trades. How long that lasts, I dunno. If there’s any logic to that hunch, it’s that they want to be patient on the pitching front with what they have. I could definitely be wrong, but I’m guessing that’s their position.

The blueprint’s not identical, but there’s a lot of 1974-75 in this roster. At the very least, it’s not hard to sense a “Yes, We Can” mentality that this move only enhances.

5. Andy

March 25, 2018 at 6:57 pm

I hope that if Kingery’s signing indicates there’s a deal in the works, it might be to somehow part ways with MF, and not CE HE. That is…unless CE HE would immediately net them a nice 3rd SP. Given the (surprising) savvy the FO has shown in these other recent deals, I can see going them going this route if it’s part of a larger plan to go all out in pursuing Machado after the season. Amazing how different this season is now looking from just two weeks ago!

6. Jeff Orbach

March 26, 2018 at 8:43 am

” I love it, when a plan comes together”- The A team. Let’s hope that’s what we have.

• Craig Glessner

March 26, 2018 at 10:28 am

If we want to use A Team references let’s throw in I Pity Da Fools! The fools being Mets Nat’s Braves and Marlin’s. GO PHILLIES playoffs in 18

7. simplefacts

March 26, 2018 at 11:44 am

If I were MF, I’d be looking over my shoulder as he hasn’t shown any great bat potential and the days of Dave “KingKong” Kingman hitting .220 with 40 hrs and a galizone K’s are long past.