2018 Recaps

Offense fails to show in 2-0 loss to Mets

On a cold, wet evening in Queens, the Phillies offense decided not to show up, leading to a 2-0 loss to the Mets.

This one was pure blech. Carlos Santana, Rhys Hoskins and Odubel Herrera, especially, came up lame in big situations, while Jorge Alfaro struck out three times and looked completely overmatched.

Ben Lively pitched well, going into the sixth with a shutout. He hit Yoenis Cespedes with a pitch, then made Jay Bruce ground one to the infield. But the Phils were shifted against Bruce, which made it impossible for them to pull off a double play. With a runner at second the Mets capitalized, as Todd Frazier doubled home Cespedes to give them the go-ahead run.

It’s unfortunate that it unraveled that way, but there’s no blame there. Bruce is a pull hitter, and he happened to just hit one into a double play situation in that case. Typically that doesn’t happen, but there it did. Lively still pitched extremely well; it was the offense that stunk tonight.

Hard to say anything more tonight. They needed more out of the offense and they didn’t get it. Now 1-3. What else is new.

1. Jeff Orbach

April 4, 2018 at 8:36 am

On the potential DP ball, Cesar should have fielded it and Crawford should have covered 2nd. It looks like they need to work on base coverage in shift situations.

At least they had someone covering 3rd this time; Progress!

Lively pitched a great game.

2. Johnny

April 4, 2018 at 11:29 am

Hate the shift!!!

3. Walt

April 4, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Well We really saved money on management this year and it shows. When we’re 10 -30 could admit we’re wrong and put Bowa in the Dugout. Or maybe this a nostalgia yr. to emulate the worst Phils of old. When I hear the colorman, and the post game commentators comments which none were positive I have to wonder. Then it seems those in the dugout have been warned to no avail. Those in the dugout are insistent on doing things their way and no interference. So they will have to sink or swim. From afar it sounds like traditional baseball vs the new breed. Will the war continue even when fan interest fades?

4. czontixhldr

April 5, 2018 at 11:28 am

This is a very inauspicious start for Team Kapler. Let’s hope the wins start to show up.

5. Ken Bland

April 5, 2018 at 11:53 am

When Tony LaRussa started this thing with the pitcher batting 8th, he was, at least as I recall, consistent about it. The explanation was simple, creating, in a sense, an extra leadoff hitter. As it was a general explanation, at least it had some credibility in that, again, as I remember it, he always did it.

For the home opener today, his 6th lineup of the year for like the 3rd or 4th time, GK has the pitcher batting 8th. Maybe it’s another in the many times he’s overmanaged, but I don’t get the logic in when he bats the pitcher 8th, and when he bats him 9th. Maybe he explained it, and I missed it, but at surface glance, it seems weird.

Next are 9 up against Miami, Cincy and Tampa. Hell if I have a feel how these 9 turn out, I just recall people looking at the schedule and pointing out that the first 43 games were against clubs that were sub .500 a year ago. Forget the first 43, in light of the insert your own word start, I’m very, I mean VERY curious how many wins they get out of these supposedly easier games coming up, and more importantly, where the heads are of Middleton and McPhail at the conclusion of that. I can’t say anything would surprise me at this point, even status quo which appears to be the case now, although you have to think there are at least red flags in their eyes.

I guess I do have a feel for these first 3 games of the 9. The Phils won’t sweep. The Fish have played some competitive baseball so far against decent temas, and the Phils, to say the least, have found ways to beat themselves.

• czontixhldr

April 5, 2018 at 1:42 pm

I have no problem with batting the pitcher 8th. Most lineup optimization programs I’ve seen spit that out. AAMOF, the one win they have was the game where JPC scored the winning run from the 9 hole.

You do have a point about consistency. If Kapler is going to do it, he should do it and stick with it.