As the Phils were pulling off a nice win yesterday over the Cubs on national television, many ancillary news stories broke. Here’s a synopsis.
- Shane Victonio came up limping with a strained right calf in yesterday’s game after trying to beat out a double-play ball. He left the game and is scheduled for an MRI today.
- Michael Bourn took a vicious header into the Wrigley Field bullpen after twisting both ankles attempting to reach a foul ball. He finished the inning but soon after was removed from the game with a sprained right ankle. This could hurt his chances of being traded, which in my opinion is a good thing.
- Ryan Madson who injured his shoulder on Sunday is not expected to be out as long as Brett Myers was. This means there is a chance he could return in 3-4 weeks.
- The Phillies acquired right-handed starter Kyle Lohse yesterday in exchange for Reading’s Matt Maloney. Lohse – who is 6-12 with a 4.58 ERA on the season – is expected to take J.D. "The Real Deal" Durbin’s spot in the rotation starting Thursday.
- The Phillies’ NL East rivals Braves and Mets also made moves on Monday. Atlanta traded for Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay and are currently working on a deal for Octavio Dotel. The Mets meanwhile picked up All-Star Luis Castillo.
- The MLB trade deadline is 4pm EST today. Keep it here for breaking news…or Standing Pat silence.
Trading Deadline Update: The Phillies picked up righthanded reliever Julio Mateo from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for Reading infielder Jesus Merchan. Mateo, who is expected to start his Phillies career at AAA Ottawa, reminds me a lot of Brett Myers – and not in the good way.