Just to lay it out simply, here are the issues the Phils face this offseason:
- Pat Burrell could re-sign for two or three years. If not, the Phils will look to replace him with a right-handed bat on a two-year deal.
- Shane Victorino faces arbitration, and is a longterm deal candidate.
- Jayson Werth faces arbitration.
- Jamie Moyer might re-sign for a year or two. Still, the Phils might choose to add another back-end starter for cheap.
- Cole Hamels faces an arbitration year. He could be offered a longterm contract.
- Joe Blanton faces arbitration.
- A right-handed bench bat may be sought for cheap.
- Ryan Howard is arbitration-eligble again, and should receive a raise from the $10M he collected in 2008.
- Greg Dobbs is arbitration-eligble.
- Eric Bruntlett is also arbitration-eligible.
- The Phils could and should grab a player or two for insurance.
- Scott Eyre is a potential free agent, but expressed interest to stay for another year.
- Rudy Seanez has filed for free agency.
- Chad Durbin faces arbitration.
- Ryan Madson is arbitration-eligible. He could expect a contract.
- Clay Condrey is arbitration-eligible.
- Neither Carlos Ruiz nor Chris Coste are facing arbitration.