Here are some odds and ends as today’s game gets closer:
- Minor League Ball has a Phillies draft preview, which more or less tries to uncover selecting trends by going through the first five picks of each round since Michael Wollever joined the franchise as scouting director.
I couldn’t tell you what the Phillies are thinking with this draft, but they don’t have a first round pick (Raul Ibanez), remember. They start at No. 75.
- Barring any other tragedies, the Phillies will visit President Barack Obama at 11 a.m. Friday, preceding the Phils series at Nationals Park.
On that note, remember, Phillies Nation is off to Nationals Park Saturday for our DC Bus Trip.
- The 16-9 Reading Phillies defeated the Altoona Curve last night, thanks to 27-year-old outfielder Michael Spidale, who nailed a home run and is hitting .380 this season.
Keep an eye out for him in the TJ Bohn role.
- Also in that game, starter Tyson Brummett struck out eight and lowered his ERA to 2.80. Relievers Mike Zagurski (0.00 ERA) and Sergio Escalona (2.35) continued to pitch very well.
Seriously, as bad as the Phils pitching might be in the majors right now, there are plenty of worthy cup-of-coffee reinforcements in the minors.
- Minor note to keep watch for, out of the Courier Post: Chase Utley still feels some bother from his foot. The bottom line: If he stays on it too long, it doesn’t feel good.
Not really assuring news, but the guy did fan out a home run last night, so who knows.