Let’s discuss. It’s the slow time of year, so we want to get the baseball juices flowing. What would be better than to talk about the greatest Phillies players of 2000-2010? It’s a conversation piece with no right or wrong answer – only solid arguments backed by fact and opinion.
So tell us: who was the best Phillies player between 2000 – 2010? Yes, that’s 11 years (no, I was not a math major) but who cares. Have fun with it.
The best argument for the greatest Phillie of the decade gets a free t-shirt from Phillies Nation!
- Scott Rolen: Was here just 2 1/2 years, but was amazing defensively and put up solid numbers. Rubbed people the wrong way and left on bad terms.
- Bobby Abreu: Great offensive player, but played RF like it was little league. One of the best lefty hitters in team history was here until 2006.
- Pat Burrell: Pat the Bat always seemed to underachieve but in several season put up some monster numbers. Always a fan favorite, both on the field and at the pub.
- Jim Thome: Only spent 2 1/2 incredible seasons in Philly. Beloved by all, one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. Also helped usher in a new way of free-agent spending for a once frugal franchise. He was the one who helped open up the wallets in 2003.
- Chase Utley: One of the best second basemen in league history, offensively and defensively. One of the hardest workers we’ve ever seen in this town. Can basically do no wrong and has put up great numbers since joining the team full-time in 2005. Chase, you are the man.
- Ryan Howard: A power hitter through and through, Howard has put the Phillies on his back late in the season on more than one occasion. Perhaps the greatest masher in team history. An MVP and ROY.
- Jimmy Rollins: The heart and soul of this franchise for a decade; has seen his play decline on the wrong side of 30. Still, as he goes, so does this team. Also an MVP.
- Cole Hamels: Nearly single-handedly won the Phillies their first title in 28 years. One of the greatest playoffs we’ve seen by a pitcher in a long time. Had bad year in between four very good ones. Becoming an elite lefty in the game.