– Andy MacPhail says he thinks the Phillies are in much better shape right now than when he was brought in last year.
“I’m very pleased with the results. I think those transactions that we were able to make with Ruben (Amaro) at the trade deadline on top of what Matt (Klentak) has been able to do since that time has probably been about as much as I could have hoped for in terms of bringing in younger players and trying to augment the numbers of the starting pitching.”
Agreed. Off to a good start, but so much more to go.
– Freddy Galvis, Jeremy Hellickson and Jeanmar Gomez will file for arbitration. Hellickson could make close to $7 million next season. Galvis and Gomez should get small raises, earning somewhere near $1.5 million-$2 million next season. The Phillies have resolved all of their arbitration candidates since 2008, when Ryan Howard took them to arbitration and won. Don’t expect the Phils to battle with any of these players.
– Through its Steamer projection system, Fangraphs has a 2016 projection for the Phillies. Drumroll ………… 66-96.Worst in baseball, one game behind Atlanta.
Remember this is a projection, not a prediction. That said, a 96-loss Phillies prediction for 2016 isn’t extreme. The Phils should be one of baseball’s worst teams, in the running for the worst record but potentially better than 2015.
A few pieces of housekeeping today:
Jay Floyd is doing his Prospect Nation countdown, currently on No. 19. Check in today and come back each day as he counts down.
– Two months ago I launched a project tentatively called Phillies Generations. I’m looking for stories of Phillies fans who celebrated the 2008 championship, whose parents celebrated the 1980 championship (and potentially whose grandparents celebrated the 1950 pennant). I have a few stories so far, but I’m looking for more before I move to the next step. Email me at with your story.
– We’re about a month away from Pitchers and Catchers. As we get closer, I’ll be writing some spring training preview material. And I could use your help. Ever go to Clearwater? Have tips on where to stay, how to get around, where to eat and drink, or how to enjoy baseball during the spring? Email me at with your spring tips.
– Also I’ll be putting together a list of the most important people in the Phillies organization for 2016. Think of it as a power index, including everyone from John Middleton and the ownership group all the way down to minor league prospects. Look for that as we get a little closer to Pitchers and Catchers.
– Finally, to pass the time over the next two or three weeks, I’d be happy to field any questions you have about the Phillies. Hopefully we can do a mailbag out of it. Email me at with any questions.