This is it for Ryan Howard, the last man standing from the 2008 World Series team. And it looks like this news is coming directly from the Phillies. Matt Breen of Philly.com has reported that the Phillies plan to honor Ryan Howard with a “special pregame presentation” prior to his final time wearing pinstripes before tomorrow’s game.
Sure, Howard will be gone, but the memories will live on, particularly here on through Phillies Nation. Ryan Howard burst onto the scene in 2004, just as Phillies Nation did. We have seen it all with Howard. We watched him climb and reach the top of the mountain, we watched him fall off that mountain, and we will watch the Big Piece leave the mountain all together after tomorrow. As of around 6:00pm, Phillies Nation will have covered an ENTIRE generation of Phillies baseball.
Let’s take a look at some Ryan Howard memories covered by Phillies Nation:
- Ryan Howard stood all alone at first base when the Phillies traded Jim Thome in November of 2005
- Josh Beckett was none too pleased with Ryan Howard in a Spring Training game 2006
- When Howard mashed baseballs in 2006
- Ryan Howard hits three home runs off Braves pitcher Tim Hudson in September of 2006
- Another walk off against the Mets in August of 2007
- A case to trade Ryan Howard in 2008 (one of our most debated articles ever)
- Mr. Rocktober’s finest
- Howard double in the ninth ties the game against the Rockies in the 2009 NLDS
- Ryan Howard inks a five year extension in April of 2010
- The Big Piece’s walk off single in August of 2014
- A sentimental piece from Tim last weekend
When watching Ryan Howard one final time on Sunday afternoon, remember these moments. I can’t wait until the Big Piece’s enshrinement into the Phillies Wall of Fame.