The Phillies made a few roster moves Friday, as the 25-man group is starting to crystallize just enough.
Outfielder Tyler Goeddel and pitcher Jake Thompson were optioned to the minors, while infielder Hector Gomez, catcher Logan Moore and pitcher Dalier Hinojosa were sent to minor-league camp.
That brings the list of remaining rostered players to … 39. They need to cut 14 more.
My best guess at the roster with a week out?
- Catcher: Cameron Rupp, Andrew Knapp
- Infield: Tommy Joseph, Cesar Hernandez, Freddy Galvis, Maikel Franco, Andres Blanco, Jesmuel Valentin
- Outfield: Howie Kendrick, Odubel Herrera, Michael Saunders, Aaron Altherr, Chris Coghlan
- Starting Pitcher: Jeremy Hellickson, Jerad Eickhoff, Clay Buchholz, Vince Velasquez, Aaron Nola
- Relief Pitcher: Jeanmar Gomez, Hector Neris, Joaquin Benoit, Pat Neshek, Edubray Ramos, Luis Garcia, Joely Rodriguez
It feels more likely the Phillies don’t want to rock the boat too much on the 40-man roster, which is full and heavy on prospects. With this configuration they’d have to only make one 40-man move, adding Chris Coghlan (who has a $3 million deal if he makes the majors and needs to know his fate by Sunday). Who gets the ouster from the 40-man? My best guess is Adam Morgan.
So think about it this way: The No. 6 starter heading into 2016 is now the most likely to be removed from the 40-man altogether in 2017. That’s progress.