Let’s take our weekly look at how the farm system is fairing.
Records (as of Monday)
- Lehigh Valley: 15-14
- Reading: 10-17
- Clearwater: 12-19
- Lakewood: 16-15
Notable Performances (as of Sunday)
- The performance of the week no doubt goes to Lehigh Valley slugger Dylan Cozens. On Wednesday, the Phils No. 18 prospect went 3-for-4 with three homers and four RBI as the ‘Pigs came back to beat Syracuse 8-6.
- Enyel De Los Santos continues to dominate the International league. On Friday, he went six scoreless inning allowing only three hits and eight strikeouts. Oddly enough, he did walk five.
- Cornelius Randolph had his first big game on the year on Cince de Mayo. The No. 16 prospect went 3-for-4 with two doubles and drove in two runs.
- Adonis Medina had a bounceback start this past week. He went six innings, giving up four runs, but none were earned. He also struck out six.
- Will Stewart, not a top-30 prospect, had a nice outing for Lakewood on Wednesday. He went seven innings allowing only one run. He walked three and struck out six.
The Struggles Continue
- Mickey Moniak may be getting on track as he’s managed to get his average up to .221. Moniak has zero homers and the most concerning thing is 31 strikeouts compared to only two walks.
- Top prospect Sixto Sanchez is still trying to get his feet under him in Clearwater. In four starts he has a 4.71 ERA and a WHIP of 1.48. Opponents are hitting .282 off of him.
- JoJo Romero has continued to struggle in Reading. The No. 7 prospect has a 7.18 ERA and a WHIP of 1.71, and batters are hitting an eye-popping .312 against him, which is very concerning so far.
- Cornelius Randolph is hitting an even .200 on the season. He’s struck out 23 times in 80 at bats. He’s not hitting for much pop either, as he only has one homer and five doubles.
Just Keep Doing What You’re Doing
- Enyel De Los Santos has been beyond excellent this year. The No.13 prospect is 3-0 in five starts. He has a 1.07 ERA and he still hasn’t given up a homer.
- Dylan Cozens may have finally figured it all out, though strikeouts remain concerning. He’s hitting .287 with seven homers and 17 RBI. He’s walked 15 times, but he has struck out 40 times in 94 at bats, which is 43 percent of his at bats.
- Roman Quinn continues to be solid. He’s slashing .289/.340/.444 with 13 runs scored and 11 stolen bases.
- McKenzie Mills has been solid for Clearwater. The No. 22 prospect has a 3.12 ERA in 26 inning. He has a pretty good WHIP at 1.15.
- Two guys we don’t talk about enough, because they’re not on any top prospect lists, Austin Listi and Darick Hall, both play for Clearwater. Both also attended Dallas Baptist. Listi, who is 24 (old for the league), is hitting .372 with three homers and 14 RBI. He has a .433 OBP. Hall, 22, is hitting .308 with a .378 OBP. He has 10 homers and 25 RBI.
Our first big board and mock draft for the 2018 MLB Draft will be released this week.