History

On this day 14 years ago, Phillies Nation was born.

Back in 2004, I was living in baseball-less Washington, DC and had no quality Phillies news readily available.  I decided to take it upon myself to start something I would enjoy reading.  Thankfully, over a decade later Phillies Nation is still my go-to source for news and analysis on the Phils.

Thanks to all the writers, reporters, commenters, readers, viewers and fans for your support over the past 14 years. Phillies Nation has grown and thrived because of people like you who are dedicated not just to winning a World Series, but to enjoying the journey with fellow fans. Go Phils!

To wrap up our annual Anniversary Post, as always, we leave you with the very first article posted on Phillies Nation.  Do you remember this day?

Milton Perfect though 8 1/3

What a game! Supurb pitching by Eric Milton, and Doug Glanville won’t have anything funny to say about this nailbiter. Phils funnyman nearly cost his team the win, which brings the unoffical total of 5 defensive mistakes in centerfield in the past week.

It was nice to see the Phillies’ young stars, Ryan Madson and Chase Utley, perform well today. Utley had the Phils first two RBIs including a HR. Smoltz just got the save up in New York, that means the Fightins’ are still a half game out.

1. Craig Glessner

July 25, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Maybe 14 years from now they will say remember when umpires called balls and strikes and the National League didn’t have the designated hitter. 2 recommendations to make the game better. The home plate umpires strike zones cost the Phillies at least 5 runs during the Dodgers series, an automated strike zone would fix a lot of bad calls. I know many people will disagree with this but I hate going to a game and there are 2 outs and the 7 hitter gets a double in the gap and the crowd goes crazy, but wait now the 8 hitter gets intentionally walked and here comes the pitcher hitting 072 on the year who strikes out in 3 pitches. I wanna see pitchers pitch and hitters hit the National League needs the DH the only advantage to having the pitcher hit is it gives the fans an inning to go get food or go to the bathroom because you know nothing is going to happen. Just one fans perspective. GEAUX PHILLIES

2. pamikeydc

July 25, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Thank you so much brian and all of the writers at PN!!! I have opened up your web page (on my phone- favorites- every single day for the past 7 years. (Literally every day no matter where I was in the country). huge fan and I appreciate every single article you write and the countless hours that must go into it

3. Vernon Dozier

July 25, 2018 at 5:31 pm

And whatever became of The Dipsy?

#BeBold #ElTorito

4. Ken Bland

July 26, 2018 at 11:04 am

I’m gonna subscribe to a time honored practice here and if you can’t say something nice about something, don’t be running your mouth.  That is one large containing statement, but here’s the crux.

To say that recent times have been “interesting” for this blog would be accurate, whether it matters or not.

But in one specific regard, I salute with massive plus credit.

Having followed sports since before they were even created, even if I’m the only one that thinks so, I’ve learned a lot about it.  One of my hugest pet peeves in coverage it is the pre-season forecasts.  They can be fun to read, and over/under season totals can be interesting, but this year, I believe for the first time, the pre-season prognostications around here included things like……

Phils record at the trade deadline….

key figure Phils might acquire at the trade deadline.

Bravo.

To my admittedly limited awareness, no other publication or blog dared to convey thinking that before 7/31 is a lot of position jockeying, and the season doesn’t really start ’til then.

That development in and of itself was worthy of weight in gold feeling and a worthy highlight of the just completed year.

5. Brian Michael

July 27, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Thank you for the kind words fellas.

Not sure what ever happened to The Dispy…would like to know as well.