Philadelphia Phillies general manager Matt Klentak and his counterparts across Major League Baseball have now wrapped up the annual GM meetings, held over the last three days in Carlsbad, California.
The former GM and MLB Executive of the Year obtained information as to the club’s “biggest needs and priorities for the next month and the remainder of the winter“, and then gave his opinion as to which players the team might target in trades and as free agents.
Two of the needs and priorities for the Phillies would be fairly obvious to any fan who followed the team this past season: improving the offense and defense.
The Phillies ranked 29th of the 30 teams in Major League Baseball in errors committed despite ranking just eighth in total chances handled. This caused the club to also finish 29th in fielding percentage.
Offensively the club finished tied for 21st in runs scored and OPS. Despite a supposed emphasis on reaching base, the Phillies finished tied for 18th in baseball in on-base percentage. They were 15th in home runs and 23rd in stolen bases.
Embed from Getty Images
Bowden was the last GM of the Montreal Expos and first of the Washington Nationals
Also mentioned as possible free agent targets for the club in the outfield are Michael Brantley, A.J. Pollock, and Andrew McCutchen. Trade targets in the outfield ranks among those rumored as available are Mitch Haniger and Kevin Kiermaier.
Every pitcher attached to the Phillies by Bowden is a southpaw. The list includes free agent lefty starters Patrick Corbin, Dallas Keuchel, Gio Gonzalez, Hyun-jin Ryu and J.A. Happ, and left-handed reliever Zach Britton.
We’ve covered the Phillies interest in a number of these players already here at Phillies Nation this off-season. Continue to follow us as the days and weeks move along, and more and more of these logs are tossed onto the Hot Stove fires. We’ll have all of the most reliable Phillies rumors and reports, as well as stories on any deals that actually get done.
PHILLIES NATION HOT STOVE REPORTS:
- 13-years is a lot for any potential free agent contract
- How Phillies could sign Harper and pitching, do Hoskins and Nola deals, and still pursue Trout
- Phillies have reportedly checked-in with Andrew Miller and Zach Britton in free agency
- Agents and executives believe the Phillies will land Bryce Harper
- Phillies expected to make a push for Japanese lefty pitcher Yusei Kikuchi
- Club reportedly interested in free agent closer Craig Kimbrel
- 10 off-season trades that the Phillies should consider
- Free agents? Trades? One thing is certain: Phillies GM Matt Klentak is on the hot seat
- The Phillies are high on Dbacks lefty Robbie Ray per reports
- Phillies reportedly likely to check on availability of catcher J.T. Realmuto
- Club expected to be major player for free agent pitcher Patrick Corbin
- Would a Phillies trade with Arizona for Zack Greinke make sense?
- Would the Phillies consider a second go-around with Charlie Morton?
- Phillies off-season: the worst-case scenario would be bleak