Philadelphia Phillies icon Jimmy Rollins appears fully committed to his return to the organization where he spent 14 plus seasons of his major league career.
Rollins, the 2007 National League MVP, had already rejoined the Phillies organization as a special advisor in late January. And unlike previous years, you won’t have to wait until TBS‘ coverage of the American League playoffs to hear Rollins analyze baseball in 2019.
NBC Sports Philadelphia announced during the Phillies Opening Day victory Thursday that the three-time National League All-Star will be part of the broadcast booth for “select games” in 2019. The first of those select games will be Monday April 22, when the Phillies battle the division-rival New York Mets at Citi Field.
“There is an excitement in Philly about this team, as well as expectations, and I know what that is like,” Rollins said. “I look forward to sharing my knowledge and insight about this team with fans on NBC Sports Philadelphia.”
It’s unclear exactly how many “select” games Rollins will work in the booth. He’ll join play-by-play man Tom McCarthy and whichever of John Kruk and Ben Davis is working as the color commentator on nights when he’s working.
Rollins’ infectious personality as a player gave you a pretty good idea that he could have a career in media when his career concluded, if he was so inclined. During the summer of 2016, after he was released by the Chicago White Sox, Rollins made a guest appearance on FS1‘s MLB coverage. Since the 2016 postseason, the four-time Gold Glove Award winner has appeared on TBS – along with Casey Stern, Pedro Martinez and Gary Sheffield – as they have covered the American League playoffs.
Many of Rollins’ 2008 World Series Champion teammates have found careers in sports media. Ryan Howard recently joined ESPN as a studio analyst. Brad Lidge co-hosts with Rollins’ TBS partner, Stern, on MLB Network Radio from 2-5 ET every weekday. And perhaps most surprising of all, Chase Utley will appear on select Los Angeles Dodgers broadcasts on SportsNet LA in 2019.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nuggets: 2019 MLB Preview And Predictions
- Matt Veasey’s 2019 MLB Preview And Predictions
- Darian Howard, Ryan’s Son, Talks Highs And Lows Of Father’s Career, His Own Dreams
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park
- The Phillies Have Made Subtle Uniform Tweaks Ahead Of The 2019 Season
- Data Ball: How Much Will Andrew McCutchen Help The Phillies? A Ton
- Phillies Roundtable: Over/Under 3.5 All-Stars In 2019
- Phillies Roundtable: Over/Under 34.5 Home Runs For Harper/Hoskins In 2019
- The Liberty Bell From The Vet Has Been Moved Outside Citizens Bank Park
- Just Released – Road Trip To Pittsburgh!