The Philadelphia Phillies head into Sunday Night Baseball against the Atlanta Braves with a lot of firsts already secured for the 2019 season.
The Phils have already secured their first series win; taking the first two games of the three game set from the Braves. New Phillies Bryce Harper and J.T. Realmuto have also recorded their first home runs in a Phillies uniform (both of which came in Saturday’s win).
On a national stage, the Phillies can check off one more first in the 2019 season Sunday evening. The Phillies can record their first season sweep tonight, as former National League Cy Young Award winner Jake Arrieta will take the mound for a 7:05 first pitch.
Arrieta is coming off of a subpar 2018 season, one in which he posted a 3.96 ERA with a 10-11 overall record. Arrieta did have surgery in January to repair a torn meniscus, one that he says affected him for much of the 2018 season. After a disappointing season debut from Nick Pivetta Saturday afternoon, it would be a shot in the arm of the Phillies, who are looking for legitimate pitching depth behind Aaron Nola, for Arrieta to turn in a strong performance Sunday.
The 33-year-old will face Braves top prospect Kyle Wright, who is making his first career start.
The Phils will field the same lineup which has produced 18 runs over two games.
1. LF – Andrew McCutchen
2. SS – Jean Segura
3. RF – Bryce Harper
4. 1B – Rhys Hoskins
5. C- J.T. Realmuto
6. CF – Odubel Herrera
7. 2B-Cesar Hernandez
8. 3B – Maikel Franco
9. P – Jake Arrieta
1. CF – Ender Inciarte
2. 3B – Josh Donaldson
3. 1B -Freedie Freeman
4. LF – Ronald Acuna Jr.
5. RF – Nick Markakis
6. 2B – Ozzie Albies
7. C – Brian McCann
8. SS – Dansby Swanson
9. P – Kyle Wright
- ATL: Kyle Wright (2018: 0-0, 4.50 ERA) vs. PHI: Jake Arrieta (2018: 10-11, 3.96 ERA)
- Wright will make his first career appearance vs. the Phillies tonight. He was 8-9 with a 3.46 ERA in 138.0 innings between Double-A and Triple-A in 2018. Wright, per MLB Pipeline, is the Braves No. 2 overall prospect.
- Arrieta went 1-1 with a 4.15 ERA in two starts against the Braves in 2018.
- The last time the Phillies began the season with a sweep was in 2011, when they swept out Houston at Citizens Bank Park in three games. They won a franchise-record 102 regular season games that season.
- In the third game of the season last year vs. the Braves, Vince Velasquez took the ball and the Phillies lost 15-2.
- Bryce Harper’s home run yesterday was his 26th career against Atlanta. That’s the most he has against an opposing team.
- After tonight, the Phillies will not face the Braves again until June 14 in Atlanta.
Sunday Night’s Programming Information
- First Pitch: 7:05 PM
- Location: Citizens Bank Park
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: SportsRadio WIP, WTTM 1680 (Spanish)
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nuggets: 2019 MLB Preview And Predictions
- Matt Veasey’s 2019 MLB Preview And Predictions
- Darian Howard, Ryan’s Son, Talks Highs And Lows Of Father’s Career, His Own Dreams
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park
- The Phillies Have Made Subtle Uniform Tweaks Ahead Of The 2019 Season
- Data Ball: How Much Will Andrew McCutchen Help The Phillies? A Ton
- Phillies Roundtable: Over/Under 3.5 All-Stars In 2019
- Phillies Roundtable: Over/Under 34.5 Home Runs For Harper/Hoskins In 2019
- The Liberty Bell From The Vet Has Been Moved Outside Citizens Bank Park
- Just Released – Road Trip To Pittsburgh!