Aaron Nola, the Philadelphia Phillies Opening Day starter, has a 6.84 ERA through his first five starts of the season. Nick Pivetta, who pitched the Phillies second game of the season, had such a poor start to 2019 that he was optioned to Triple-A Lehigh Valley last week. It’s been Jake Arrieta, who had an underwhelming first season in Philadelphia a year ago, that’s been the Phillies stopper in the first month of the 2019 season.
Gabe Kapler will give the ball to Arrieta again Monday, looking for him to turn in a strong start after the Phillies lost three of four to the Colorado Rockies over the weekend at Coors Field.
The Mets, meanwhile, have lost six of their last 10 games, including two of three at Citizens Bank Park last week. Mickey Callaway’s squad will turn to Steven Matz, and after Matz’s last start, well, there’s nowhere to go but up.
The Phillies enter this three-game series at 12-9, a game ahead of the New York Mets and Atlanta Braves in the National League East. Here’s everything you need to know before tonight’s game:
- Andrew McCutchen, left field
- J.T. Realmuto, catcher
- Bryce Harper, right field
- Rhys Hoskins, first base
- Maikel Franco, third base
- Phil Gosselin, shortstop
- Cesar Hernandez, second base
- Aaron Altherr, center field
- Jake Arrieta, pitcher
- Brandon Nimmo, left field
- Jeff McNeil, second base
- Pete Alonso, first base
- Michael Conforto, right field
- Wilson Ramos, catcher
- Todd Frazier, third base
- Luis Guillorme, shortstop
- Juan Lagares, center field
- Steven Matz, pitcher
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Matchup
- Jake Arrieta (3-1, 2.25 ERA and 4.70 FIP) vs. Steven Matz (1-1, 4.96 ERA and 5.24 ERA)
- Arrieta pitched against the Mets last Wednesday afternoon, going eight plus innings, while allowing just six hits and two earned runs.
- Steven Matz didn’t record an out in his start against the Phillies last Tuesday, as he allowed four hits, two home runs, and eight runs, six of which were earned.
Pregame Phillies Nuggets
- In 205 career at-bats at Citi Field, Bryce Harper has 12 home runs and 35 RBIs.
- Jeff McNeil has a .473 batting average with seven RBIs in 55 career at-bats against the Phillies.
- Jimmy Rollins will make his announcing debut on NBC Sports Philadelphia tonight. In 250 career games against the Mets, Rollins hit 33 home runs, drove in 122 RBIs and stole 64 bases. Rollins had a .316 batting average with 11 home runs and 32 RBIs in 212 at-bats at Citi Field. He had just a .237 batting average in 316 at-bats at Shea Stadium, but Pat Burrell, who had 18 career home runs at Shea Stadium, was there to pick him up.
- Wilson Ramos, who spent the second-half of the 2018 season with the Phillies, has 11 home runs and 47 RBIs against the Phillies in his career.
- Andrew McCutchen has a .310 batting average in 262 career games against the Mets.
- 7:10 p.m. ET at Citi Field
- NBC Sports Philadelphia, ESPN
- SportsRadio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Tom McCarthy Is ‘Beyond Excited’ To Work With Jimmy Rollins In Phillies Broadcast Booth
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Philadelphia Phillies Prospects – April 2019
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park
- What Current Phillies Will Still Be With Team At Time Of 2026 MLB All-Star Game?
- Carlos Ruiz’s Team Has Reached The Panama Beisbol Mayor 2019