For a man who seemed to enjoy juggling his lineup a year ago more than a circus clown juggles bowling pins, Gabe Kapler has settled in to a nice, steady routine here in the 2019 season.
It’s amazing what a year of experience – not to mention a tremendous increase in talent – will do for a guy. For Saturday evening’s middle game of a weekend tilt with the host Miami Marlins, the Phillies skipper is rolling out the same position player lineup in the same order for the 11th time in 13 games.
The formula has worked most nights. The Phillies are 8-4 and a half-game off the pace being set by the New York Mets in the early going of the National League East Division. The club is 7-3 on those night’s where his new everyday group has started the game. They are averaging 6.7 runs per game with the regulars, and just 3 per game when he changes up.
— Philadelphia Phillies (@Phillies) April 13, 2019
Caleb Smith steps to the mound today.
— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) April 13, 2019
SHIBE VINTAGE SPORTS STARTING PITCHING MATCHUP
- Zach Eflin (2-0), 0.75 ERA, 0.833 WHIP, 14/1 K:BB with nine hits allowed over 12 innings
- Eflin has arguably been the Phillies best starting pitcher the first couple of times through the rotation
- Caleb Smith (0-0), 4.09 ERA, 1.000 WHIP, 15/3 K:BB with eight hits allowed over 11 innings
- Smith has looked sharp in both of his starts, which also came within the NL East against the Mets and Braves
PHILLIES NUGGETS PREGAME NOTES
- Phillies went 11-8 vs Miami in the 2018 season, outscoring the Marlins by 103-59
- Former Phillies catcher Jorge Alfaro, traded to Miami as part of the J.T. Realmuto deal, leads the Fish in homers (3) and RBI (6) in the early going
SATURDAY’S PROGRAMMING INFORMATION
- First pitch scheduled for 6:05 pm.
- Location: Marlins Park, Miami, Florida
- TV: NBC Sports+
- Radio: SportsRadio WIP 94.1 FM, WTTM 1680 (Spanish)