The Philadelphia Phillies-New York Mets matchup Monday night, of course, will take a backseat to another matchup between Philadelphia and New York City – Game 2 of the Philadelphia 76ers-Brooklyn Nets first-round playoff series. Considering how the Sixers looked in Game 1 of the series, though, it’s fair to wonder if Phillies and Mets won’t be the better game.
Two of the game’s best arms – Aaron Nola and Noah Syndergaard – will square off at Citizens Bank Park Monday evening. Neither is off to an especially encouraging start to their 2019 season, Nola specifically, so it will be an interesting matchup in that regard.
Additionally, the Phillies enter a three-game set against the Mets with a slight lead in the National League East. The Phillies are 9-5, which puts them a half game above both the Mets and Washington Nationals, who are 9-6. The National League East, as expected, looks like one of baseball’s deepest divisions.
Here’s everything you need to know ahead of the Phillies-Mets tilt Monday evening:
- Andrew McCutchen, left field
- Jean Segura, shortstop
- Bryce Harper, right field
- Rhys Hoskins, first base
- J.T. Realmuto, catcher
- Odubel Herrera, center fielder
- Cesar Hernandez, second base
- Maikel Franco, third base
- Aaron Nola, pitcher
- Brandon Nimmo, center field
- Pete Alonso, first base
- Robinson Cano, second base
- Michael Conforto, right field
- Wilson Ramos, catcher
- Jeff McNeil, left field
- Amed Rosario, shortstop
- J.D. Davis, third base
- Noah Syndergaard, pitcher
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Matchup
- Noah Syndergaard (1-1 with a 4.74 ERA and 2.89 FIP in 2019) vs. Aaron Nola (1-0 with a 6.46 ERA and 7.26 FIP in 2019)
- In four starts against the Phillies in 2018, Syndergaard was 1-1 with a 5.75 ERA.
- Aaron Nola was 4-0 with a 2.15 ERA in six starts against the Mets in 2018. His most notable start against the Mets in 2018 came on July 9, in the night-cap of a day-night double-header. Nola struck out 10 Mets over seven scoreless innings, while allowing just one hit. The Phillies won the game 3-1, with all three runs coming on a bases-clearing double from Nola, of all people.
- In nine starts since the outset of September of 2018, Nola has allowed 14 home runs. In his first 27 starts of 2018, Nola allowed eight total home runs.
Pregame Phillies Nuggets
- Ryan Howard will do color commentary for ESPN‘s coverage of tonight’s game. Howard – who will join play-by-play announcer Karl Ravech and iconic scribe Tim Kurkjian in ESPN‘s coverage – had 48 home runs and 136 RBIs in 661 career at-bats against the Mets. His first of 382 career home runs came on Sept. 11, 2004 at Shea Stadium.
- Every member of both the Phillies and Mets will honor Jackie Robinson Monday night by wearing No. 42.
- In 24 career at-bats against Syndergaard, Bryce Harper has seven hits and three RBIs.
- In 43 at-bats in April, Mets first baseman Pete Alonso is hitting .302 with six home runs, 14 RBIs and a 1.189 OPS.
- 7:05 p.m. ET
- Citizens Bank Park
- NBC Sports Philadelphia +, ESPN
- SportsRadio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Darian Howard, Ryan’s Son, Talks Highs And Lows Of Father’s Career, His Own Dreams
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park
- What Current Phillies Will Still Be With Team At Time Of 2026 MLB All-Star Game?
- The Phillies Have Made Subtle Uniform Tweaks Ahead Of The 2019 Season
- Nationals Closer: Phillies Have “Probably The Deepest Lineup In The League”