Following another gem from Zach Eflin, the Phillies (22-16) look to close out their time in Kansas City with a series victory. On Saturday night, Eflin tossed his second complete-game of the season, fanning seven Royals (14-26) hitters in the process. Odubel Herrera had himself another strong game as well, tallying a double and a triple with two runs scored in the win.
On Sunday afternoon, the Phillies will call upon Cole Irvin to make his Major League debut. Vince Velasquez was placed on the 10-day injured list prior to Saturday’s game with a right forearm strain, giving the the 25-year-old southpaw an opportunity to start. Irvin gets the call over Nick Pivetta, who has posted a 3.60 ERA in four minor league starts since getting optioned to Lehigh Valley towards the end of April.
Irvin has put together some impressive numbers in the minors. He was crowned International League Pitcher of the Year in 2018, a season that saw him go 14-4 with a 2.57 ERA over 26 games. Irvin hasn’t skipped a beat in 2019, going 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA over six starts with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. His last start came on May 4 in Buffalo. He allowed three runs over 6.1 innings, striking out five.
“We’re really excited to give him this opportunity. He’s really earned it,” Phillies manager Gabe Kapler said of the 25-year-old Irvin. “He’s not a dominator. He’s a guy whose game is forcing the opposition to put the ball in play and get weak contact.”
- Andrew McCutchen (DH)
- Jean Segura (SS)
- Bryce Harper (RF)
- Rhys Hoskins (1B)
- J.T. Realmuto (C)
- Odubel Herrera (CF)
- Maikel Franco (3B)
- Nick Williams (LF)
- Cesar Hernandez (2B)
- Whit Merrifield (RF)
- Adalberto Mondesi (SS)
- Alex Gordon (LF)
- Hunter Dozier (1B)
- Jorge Soler (DH)
- Kelvin Gutierrez (3B)
- Chris Owings (2B)
- Cam Gallagher (C)
- Billy Hamilton (CF)
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Matchup
- Cole Irvin (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. Jakob Junis (3-3 5.52 ERA)
- Irvin has allowed three runs or less in each of his six starts this season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Junis has allowed five runs in three of his last five starts and has only gone into the 7th inning in three of his eight outings this season.
Pregame Phillies Nuggets
- Cesar Hernandez is the only regular Phillies starter hitting over .275 during the last six games. The Phils’ second baseman is slashing .400/.500/.700 over the past six with a homer, five RBIs and 14 total bases.
- Jean Segura’s average has dropped 58 points since May 4. He’s tallied just three hits over the last seven games.
- Royals DH Hunter Dozier is just 1-for-11 after pushing his average up to over .345 on May 6.
- Kansas City has been shutout in two of their last three games.
- 2:15 p.m. on Sunday, May 12 at Kauffman Stadium
- NBC Sports Philadelphia
- SportsRadio 94 WIP