In each of the past two days, the Philadelphia Phillies have allowed seven runs in a given inning. As you can probably guess, they didn’t win either of those games, with the first coming against the Los Angeles Dodgers and the second against the San Diego Padres. In total, the Phillies have dropped the first four games of a six-game West Coast trip and five contests overall dating back to last Thursday’s loss to the St. Louis Cardinals. Faced with their first major valley of the 2019 season, Gabe Kapler and the Phillies will hand the ball to Jerad Eickhoff Tuesday evening at Petco Park.
Eickhoff, looking to break out a slump of his own, will need to do so without the presence of Andrew McCutchen in the outfield. The Phillies catalyst tore his ACL in Monday evening’s loss, meaning he’ll miss the rest of the 2019 season. 2017 first-round pick Adam Haseley has been called up to replace McCutchen and will make his major league debut in center field this evening.
Haseley and the Phillies will be forced to deal with Padres RHP Chris Paddack Tuesday evening. Paddack, a former Marlins prospect, has burst onto the scene in his rookie season, as the 23-year-old righty has just a 2.40 ERA in his first 10 major league starts.
Here’s everything you need to know ahead of this evening’s Phillies-Padres tilt:
- Cesar Hernandez, second base
- Bryce Harper, right field
- Jean Segura, shortstop
- Rhys Hoskins, first base
- J.T. Realmuto, catcher
- Jay Bruce, left field
- Scott Kingery, third base
- Adam Haseley, center field
- Jerad Eickhoff, pitcher
- Greg Garcia, third base
- Franmil Reyes, right field
- Manny Machado, shortstop
- Eric Hosmer, first base
- Hunter Renfroe, left field
- Wil Myers, center field
- Ian Kinsler, second base
- Austin Hedges, catcher
- Chris Paddack, pitcher
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Matchup
- Jerad Eickhoff (2-3, 4.10 ERA and 5.04 FIP) vs. Chris Paddack (4-3, 2.40 ERA and 3.41 FIP)
- After posting a 2.12 ERA in 17.0 innings in April, Eichoff posted a 5.17 ERA in 31.1 innings in May.
- While Paddack has a very respectable 3.65 ERA in five starts away from Petco Park in 2019, he has just a 1.42 ERA in five starts at home in 2019.
Pregame Phillies Nuggets
- In 56 career at-bats against the Phillies, Wil Myers has slashed .321/.415/.554 with three home runs and seven RBIs. Myers went 2-2 with two walks in Monday night’s 8-2 Padres victory.
- In 109 at-bats at Citizens Bank Park in 2019, Bryce Harper has slashed .257/.386/.569 with seven home runs, 25 RBIs and a .955 OPS. In 113 at-bats away from Citizens Bank Park in 2019, Harper has slashed .230/.323/.389 with four home runs, 18 RBIs and a .712 OPS.
- Still just 26, Manny Machado now has nine career grand slams after his sixth inning four-run home run last night.
- Jean Segura’s batting average, which was at .325 on May 24, has dropped 28 points (he’s now hitting .287) over the last 10 days.
- The duo of Franmil Reyes and Hunter Renfroe has 34 combined home runs in 2019. Harper and Rhys Hoskins have 24 combined home runs this season.
- Petco Park
- 10:10 p.m. ET
- NBC Sports Philadelphia
- SportsRadio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nuggets: What Type Of Season Is Madison Bumgarner Having?
- Phillies Nuggets: Cesar Hernandez Is Hitting His Way Into All-Star Picture
- He’s Not A Lefty, But Marcus Stroman Remains An Intriguing Trade Candidate For The Phillies
- Phillies Have Recently Scouted Zack Greinke, Madison Bumgarner
- Flashback: The Time Gabe Kapler Had To Be Pinch-Run For In The Middle Of A Home Run