The Philadelphia Phillies (47-44) will turn to their ace Aaron Nola tonight in game two of a three-game weekend set against the Washington Nationals (48-42). Nola day could not come fast enough for the Phillies as the offense did not take advantage of an average Nick Pivetta performance and an excellent outing from the bullpen. Last night’s shutout was the sixth time this season the bats were kept off the board.
The challenge will not get easier as Patrick Corbin will take the mound for the Nationals. Corbin has had an up-and-down season so far. He has given up an earned run or fewer in his last four starts, struck out 34 batters and allowed only three extra-base hits after giving up at least five earned runs in his last three. Corbin’s season so far has been a cycle of brilliant stretches followed by dreadful performances.
The same thing can also be said for Nola. He has been just as dominant as Corbin in his last four outings as he has lowered his ERA by a run, struck out 34 hitters and held opponents to .135/.211/.212 . He had struggled in early June after regaining his form in May following an abysmal stretch in April. For the Phillies to come out on top, Nola’s stretch of excellent outings needs to continue while Corbin’s needs to end.
Here’s everything you need to know for tonight’s matchup…
Phillies Starting Lineup
- Scott Kingery, left field
- Jean Segura, short stop
- Bryce Harper, right field
- Rhys Hoskins, first base
- J.T. Realmuto, catcher
- César Hernandez, second base
- Maikel Franco, third base
- Roman Quinn, center field
- Aaron Nola, pitcher
Nationals Starting Lineup
- Trea Turner, short stop
- Adam Eaton, right field
- Anthony Rendon, third base
- Juan Soto, left field
- Ryan Zimmerman, first base
- Brian Dozier, second base
- Victor Robles, center field
- Yan Gomes, catcher
- Patrick Corbin, pitcher
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Matchup
- Aaron Nola (8-2, 3.74 ERA, 4.08 FIP, 3.84 xFIP) vs. Patrick Corbin (7-5, 3.34 ERA, 3.34 FIP, 3.65 xFIP)
- Nola has not fared well against the Nationals this season. In just over nine innings of work, he has a 9.64 ERA in two early season starts.
- Corbin has performed well against a Phillies team that pursued him in free agency last offseason. He has a 2.77 ERA in two starts, only allowing four runs through 13 innings.
- Nola’s Fangraphs Projected Line: 6.71IP, 5.71H, 2.68BB, 7.49K
- Corbin’s Fangraphs Projected Line: 6.45 IP, 5.65 H, 2.11BB, 7.38K
Pregame Phillies Nuggets
- Giving Nola the second start out of the All-Star Break was an interesting move by Gabe Kapler. It gives Nola the chance to face the Nationals, one of the hottest teams in baseball, and the Dodgers, the best team in baseball. In two weeks the Phillies have two days off in a week where they go to Detroit for a two-game set and face the Braves at home for a weekend series. Nola would be set to pitch against the Tigers, but the off-days give Kapler a chance to either move up or push back Nola’s scheduled start in Detroit and have him pitch in the crucial Atlanta home series. However, if the rotation remains the same without any changes and the Phillies use a bullpen game during their September day-night doubleheader against the Nationals, Nola would be set to pitch a Wild Card game on full rest.
- The Nationals streak of 21 straight games with at least one batter hitting a home run ended yesterday. It was the second longest home-run streak of the season. The New York Yankees homered in 31-straight game from May 26th through June 30th.
- The Phillies have reinstated J.T. Realmuto from the paternity leave list. Not long after coming off the bench in the All-Star Game, his wife Lexi gave birth to the couple’s second child. The team has also recalled center fielder Adam Haseley from AAA Lehigh Valley, designated catcher Rob Brantley for assignment, and have placed utility infielder Sean Rodriguez on the 10-day IL with a right abdominal strain.
Ticket IQ Programming Information
- First pitch: 7:15 P.M
- FOX; For out-of-market viewers, tonight’s game as well as Sunday’s can also be streamed on MLB.TV as part of a free preview weekend.
- Sportsradio 94 WIP; WTTM 1680 (Spanish)