The Phillies came into the 2019 season with some strong bullpen depth. Unfortunately, a number of their bigger acquisitions have landed on the injured list, leaving the Phillies in a tough position as the season has progressed. It also hasn’t helped that the starting rotation has struggled to get past the fifth or sixth inning a lot. These injuries and rotation issues have shifted the outlook of the pitching staff, and the Phillies have had to add guys like Mike Morin, Drew Smyly, Jason Vargas and Blake Parker to the mix.
In hopes of finding another veteran arm that can help, the Phillies have claimed right-hander Jared Hughes off waivers from the Reds, according to Matt Gelb of The Athletic. To make room for him on the roster, Edubray Ramos was transferred to the 60-day IL. The Phillies have nine pitchers on the injured list.
Hughes, 34, comes to the Phillies after posting a 4.10 ERA and 1.241 WHIP in 47 appearances this season, striking out 34 and walking 19. He is just one season removed from a 2018 campaign that saw him sport a 1.94 ERA in 78.2 innings with the Reds. Between 2014-18, Hughes posted a 2.41 ERA in 329 innings, notes Bob Wankle from Crossing Broad. Hughes doesn’t strike too many guys out, but instead induces ground balls as his specialty.
The Phillies will pay the remaining part of Hughes’ $2.125 million contract for the year. If he performs well for them to close out the year, his contract has a $3 million club option for 2020. That can be bought out for $250,000.
Since making his big league debut in 2011, Hughes has appeared in 499 games with the Pirates, Brewers and Reds. He is 27-23 with a 2.83 ERA.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- 10 Years Later, Brad Lidge Talks ‘Battling’ Through 2009
- Phillies Rumors: ‘Prevailing Belief’ Is Gabe Kapler Won’t Be Fired
- Dylan Cozens Signs Minor League Deal With Rays
- Minor League Mash-Up: Howard And Bohm Continue Dominance
- Phillies Nation Mailbag: Who Have Been The Best Phillies Relievers This Decade?
- 3 Numbers To Remember: Hoskins And The Phillies Are Reeling
- Key Dates On Phillies 2020 Schedule
- Former Phillie Freddy Galvis Claimed On Waivers By Reds
- First Look: Phillies 2019 Players’ Weekend Jerseys
- Roy Halladay Probably Should Have Won The 2011 National League Cy Young Award